Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

freb2reh
Beginner July 2011

Need a fail safe recipe for toad in the hole/ yorkie pud mix please?

freb2reh, 10 July, 2012 at 16:32 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 6

Ok, well when it comes to makeing yorkies I don't seem to have much luck. Even though I get the fat really hot before I pour in the mix, my yorkies never seem to rise and just end up being a sort of stodgy flat disaster.

My boys have had great school reports and as a treat they have asked if they can have toad in the hole for tea tomorrow. Could anyone please rcommend a fail safe recipe please and maybe even explain why my yorkies don't rise very much. I don't think it's my recipe that's letting me down, I think it's me because my Mum has been using the same recipe for years and always produces great yorkies - I am flummoxed as to where I am going wrong!

6 replies

Latest activity by Little Pixie , 11 July, 2012 at 08:37
  • Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

I alwasy use this one..

100g flour

1 egg

300ml milk

mix together (flour and egg first the gradually add milk, mix with whisk), should be consitency of cream.

heat fat up in oven 220c and then voila! backe for 40mins with sausages in (i brown sausage off quickly in frying pan first)

• Rod
    Beginner
    Rod ·
    • Hide content

Do not open the oven. Not even a tiny bit, until they have been in for at least 2/3 of the cooking time.

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

this too, i never ever do!

• freb2reh
    Beginner July 2011
    freb2reh ·
    • Hide content

Thanks guys, will commence testing tomorrow evening.

Flow, I will be cooking ten big fat snorkers in a big roasting dish. Do you think I should double up on the batter ingrediants?

• I
    Beginner March 2013
    icklelea ·
    • Hide content

• disney
    Beginner July 2007
    disney ·
    • Hide content

I also use mini muffin tin to make mini Yorkies as I alway forget and try to make them last min means cooking time is less..

I find having the Ivan at it highest and then turning it down to right temp as you put in liquid helps... But that just me.. Another way I work it out is measure same quantity for all 3 ingredients ..eg 1/2 cup filled with eggs is around 3 eggs then 1/2 cup of flour and 1/2 cup off milk

Good luck

• Little Pixie
    Beginner September 2011
    Little Pixie ·
    • Hide content

Mine is to crack 3 eggs in a glass. Mark where they come up to then tip into bowl

Add flour to glass up to same mark as the eggs. Add to bowl

fill glass to mark again with half water, half milk mix. Add to bowl bit by bit mixing as you go. and add a good pinch of salt

Cook at 220 for 30 mins or until done. Don't open the over for at least the first 20 mins.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics