Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jumbly Girl
Beginner May 2010

Negotiating costs for dresses/alterations

Jumbly Girl, 6 of August of 2009 at 13:50 Posted on Planning 0 4

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has tried to negotiate the cost of your dresses/alterations with the shop when ordering them? I'm quite teeny (particularly height-wise) so any dresses I've liked are going to need substantial alterations and I know there's a huge amount of technical work that goes into this and I really appreciate that, but I do feel like it's a bit of a tax on size. It means that dresses that initially sound like they are within my budget actually aren't because of the phenomenal additional costs. If only I could be a bit taller....

Has anyone had any luck or tips to share on negotiating and ways to get the costs down (beyond going for a much cheaper dress, because they will all need altering!)?

4 replies

Latest activity by sarahjl, 9 of August of 2009 at 07:07
  • kelly29
    Beginner May 2009
    kelly29 ·
    • Hide content

I bought mine from Berketex, who have a standard alterations package which includes limitless alterations. We didn't negotiate the price of the alterations, but my mum did haggle them on the price of the dress and got a few hundred pounds off for me. They had one of their promotions on at the time where you get the bridesmaid's dress free, but as we didn't need one mum argued for additional discount instead and got it.

She's a big fan of Dominic Littlewood!

• Saracroft251
    Beginner August 2010
    Saracroft251 ·
    • Hide content

Kelly - your mum sounds awesome - could I borrow her for a few months?

SC

• kelly29
    Beginner May 2009
    kelly29 ·
    • Hide content

Take her. Please.

• Jumbly Girl
    Beginner May 2010
    Jumbly Girl ·
    • Hide content

Thanks so much. I guess maybe getting my mum on the case might be a good idea....

• S
    sarahjl ·
    • Hide content

Some dresses can be made shorter by the designer/manufacturer for relatively little extra cost. Check which ones can be done with the shop before ordering.

We ordered a dress in for someone who was only about 4'10" and had to have both the bodice and skirt made shorter so they were still in proportion. If I remember correctly we were charged only around £50 by the designer which was the cost we passed onto the customer. No further alterations were needed to the dress at all.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics