Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Helenia
Beginner September 2011

Neighbour dispute - WWYD? (somewhat tedious, about bins)

Helenia, 19 of October of 2014 at 09:32 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 16

Background - H and I moved into our new flat 2 months ago. Technically it's a "first floor maisonette," so we have our own front door on the ground floor, then entrance hall and stairs up to the flat proper. There is another flat below us, whose front door is next to ours. I think that the people there moved in a few weeks after us, they're younger than us and possibly students. I have only met them twice, collecting parcels etc.

Both flats have their own wheely bins, kept in separate places - ours are on a little paved area by the front doors, theirs are just round the front of the house. A few weeks after we moved in, we discovered several large bin bags of rubbish in our shared garden. Didn't want to make a fuss (we weren't 100% sure they had been left by the current tenants, could have been from the people who moved out), so I left them for a bit, then when it became clear they weren't going to go, I have started loading them into our bins as much as will fit, and taking them out as usual. Downstairs don't take their bins out for collection each week, but that doesn't bother me.

Until yesterday. They had a party on Friday night, which I had no problem with, it wasn't horribly noisy or anything. But when we went out, we found several bin bags strewn over our bin area and down the path going round the back to the garden. I sneaked a peak in their wheely bin and it is not full. I really don't want loose rubbish bags all over, we'll get foxes/rats etc and it will smell. H and I are both rubbish at confrontation and can't agree on what to do: -

a)nothing, seethe quietly and hope they'll take them away eventually. Possibly put some of the bags in our bins again to take out gradually.

b)knock on the door and have a polite-ish word asking them to clear it up and take their bins out properly when needed. This seems like the grown-up option but is scary!

c)put a note throught the door asking them the same

d)complain to our estate agent. This is what H wants to do but I think it's pointless as it's nothing to do with them and AFAIK downstairs was not rented from the same agent.

What do you think?

16 replies

Latest activity by Helenia, 23 of October of 2014 at 14:04
  • pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

B and if no joy D. Tricky but maybe they don't know how it works? Landlords have a habit of not sharing all the info sometimes and if they're young, it might be their first home and so not used to how bins work. Not rocket science I know. But just mention it to them and see how they respond. X

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

B definitely. If they don't respond well then maybe environmental health department of the local council?

• MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

I'd go for E - put it in their wheelie bin. If it's their rubbish, and their wheelie bin isn't full, then why should you be putting it in your bin?

• M
    Beginner November 2015
    MissJag ·
    • Hide content

I'd have a polite chat with them. most people will respond to that. But a word of caution I once did it with an ex neighbour of mine. Asked (very) politely if she would mind parking just 6 foot further away from my drive as it was difficult to reverse off the main road. (there was plenty of room for her to do this and I had no problem with the previous neighbours who always left me loads of space. For some reason she took offence and made my life hell for the next 2 years. I had paint poured over my car, tyres slashed, abuse thrown and myself, my daughter and my mother and eggs thrown at my front window. In the end I moved just to get away from them. Apparently it wasn't just me the neighbours on the other side of them had similar problems as did those who lived directly behind them. Some people are just anti social morons! I was told by one of the other neighbours that I met in town a few months after I had moved out that they had just done a moonlight flit one night. Literally vans turned up after midnight and the next morning they were gone. (very dodgy if you ask me)

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

This. I am not into clearing up after other people

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

Bah, I put my big girl pants on and went down to talk to them, and they didn't open the door! Lights were on inside, so I think they were in, but for whatever reason didn't want to speak to me. ☹️

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

They could be attached to headphones......I know I've tried to raise our neighbours when they are in but failed. Try agin. Xx

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

They sound like our old neighbours. Happy to make noise at every hour of the day and night but not so keen to open their door when l went to speak to them about it. I banged on the door stupidly hard until they stopped whispering and answered the door!

• Little Pixie
    Beginner September 2011
    Little Pixie ·
    • Hide content

E - Collect it all up and dump it right in front of their door hoping they get the message.

• D
    Beginner April 2014
    DaisyDot ·
    • Hide content

Somewhat similar issue with ours, my guess is they don't understand 'bin etiquette'...

We actually have to share one wheelie bin for our two flats. Our upstairs neighbours bought about 6 months after us and for the first 2/3months of living there they used to fill up the bin and never wheel it out to the road. We share a communal hallway like you and both have separate front doors next to each other. To avoid confrontation we used to talk in very loud voices that it was bin day etc, they got the message and soon shared the responsibility of taking it out. May have been a pathetic way to deal with it but worked for us Smiley smile

x

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

Sooo...tomorrow is bin day. I still hadn't managed to speak to them this week, so decided to pack up all the bags and stick them in both our bins, then put both out, just to get it all out of the way, and was going to leave them a fairly polite note explaining how the collections etc work. However, I realised as I was doing this that they actually were in, so knocked again and finally they answered!

The guy who came to the door was quite apologetic and said it wouldn't happen again, but the whole place stank of weed and he seemed pretty stoned, so I'm not massively optimistic that they'll remember...

• Little Pixie
    Beginner September 2011
    Little Pixie ·
    • Hide content

Ah. They are "those" neighbours. I wouldn't hold your breath

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

? oh dear. Those kind.

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I might have to, if the smell gets much stronger!

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

If you are concerned about drug use then report it to the police - but if they don't cause you any problems, then I'd just leave them be. What you could do to help with the bins is ask them if they'd like you to give them a knock when it's bin day, or the day befor,e just as a reminder, if it would help. Approach it as being helpful and I'm sure they'll appreciate it. No you shouldn't have to do it but it's about living in harmony and making life easier for you Smiley smile.

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

Yeah, I'm not bothered with what they do inside the flat, and if they don't want to take their bins out and live in a pigsty that's fine. I'll only get cross if they start dumping crap outside in the shared areas!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics