Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

*Pugsley*
Beginner March 2014

Neighbour's dog - Bit of a rant and bit of advice required

*Pugsley*, 15 of October of 2014 at 15:28 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 10

Hi All,

I'll start by saying that I am a dog lover so I hope no one thinks I'm against dogs full stop as I'm really not, I grew up with dogs and love them......

My neighbour's dog(s) bark for hours on end during the day which is driving me insane and I'm now struggling to concentrate when I work from home. They've been barking constantly for an hour and a half after a previous barking session this morning.

They have two dogs however I think it's just one of them which barks as the barking started when the neighbour's son's girlfriend moved in with her dog. They're left from about 8-5 although I think that recently someone has been coming in for half an hour in the middle of the day, I overheard the son saying on the phone in the garden when he came back from work that the girlfriend's dog had wet the bed again and shortly after that I've noticed someone coming back in the middle of the day some days.

My neighbour is a little firey and I'm not sure whether I want to discuss the dogs with her as I can imagine she will just get defensive. Problem is, I'm at my wits end and I feel like I'm losing the plot so don't know what to do.

I used to enjoy my garden but can't as much now because of the smell of poo which is left for weeks before it's picked up and the barking cuts right through me now, it's so loud and constant that have to have all windows and doors shut if I want to hear the TV if their dog is outside.

I don't know what to do. Would the Council do anything? And even if they did, I'm sure I'd be found out and it'd make my life hell as I live in a terraced house and feel like I practically live on top of my neighbours. Do you think that if I put a polite note through the door telling them their dogs bark constantly (and that they might not be aware of it) it'd be worth it or solve anything. I heard someone over the other side, possibly the other neighbour, yelled for the dogs to shut up before so they might think it was them but I hate confrontation and am sure it'd get back to me somehow.

Anyway, I'm going to stop talking now as I've prattled on for so long.

Has anyone on here had a similar situation? And how did you deal with it?

10 replies

Latest activity by SillyWrong, 16 of October of 2014 at 14:48
  • Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content

I'm useless and don't have any advice but just wanted to bump your post up and say to you you aren't being unreasonable at all. It would drive me mad too.

Our neighbours have got an Alsatian which barks a lot especially when my cats sit in our bedroom window and it really annoys me as my neighbours have actually told me that my cats 'wind their dog up'....

My cats are indoor and should be allowed to look through their windows without being yelled at by a dog but hey. I have never said anything to them about the barking though.

• MrsCWB
    Beginner October 2014
    MrsCWB ·
    • Hide content

I hate any kind of confrontation, so I would probably drop a note through the door letting them know, but keeping it anonymous! Failing that, is it environmental health who deal with noise? It might be worth contacting your local council for advice.

x

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

Yea Environmental Health may be able to help with this one. If you make a complaint you can ask to remain anonymous but obviously they are going to have an idea it was one of the neighbours who complained.

I like the idea of an anonymous letter. You could try that first and if not contact Environmental Health.

• yorkshirekiwi
    Beginner August 2014
    yorkshirekiwi ·
    • Hide content

Not sure how helpful this will be as I never faced the problem in the UK, however we had something similar over here in NZ.

We phoned the council and found them really helpful: Our call was kept anonymous form the family, although the council did tell us that other people in the area had made similar complaints. Noise control did several street visits to get an independent measure of the barking, then the dog warden visited to assess the care of the dogs and whether there was a specific cause in their environment for the barking. The family was then given support in terms of free dog training from the RSPCA and a time-frame in which the barking had to stop before the dogs would be removed. The council kept us informed all the way through, and happily the training worked the dogs quietened down and so we were all happy.

At the very least I know the council in the UK has a responsibility for environmental health and that includes noise control, and the RSPCA may be able to give you welfare advice. There must be a reason the dog barks so much and it is usually distress of one form or another, and it doesn't sound like they are in the best environment if the owners don't even pick up after them. (Not saying they are being abused, just that there could be room for improvement in their care and the RSPCA could advise on this.)

• pinkypoo85
    Beginner August 2016
    pinkypoo85 ·
    • Hide content

I literally coul have written this post! The dog next door to us barks all day long when they go out to work. I sometimes work from home so I notice it. On weekends of they go out it is the same. Last Saturday night they went out and it was constant for about 5 hours. It's a distress bark too which I find upsetting. I think it's an older dog which I might add a hardly see walked. I love dogs and like you grew up with them but it's not normal for a dog to bark all day long.

I can't really put a note through as they would know it was from us as we are the only houses attached down the road. It never barks when in the garden but we can hear it if we are in our garden and it's inside.

Someone suggest saying to the woman if I see her in the morning getting in here car or something that is her dog ok as it was barking all day. But I don't want to start anything as I think she will be a bit funny as she's not an easy person to talk to. It's a hard one so I do feel for you. It does start to drive you insane and question is the dog a actually ok!?!

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

I think if it is affecting your life this much (and I can understand why it is!) you need to complain. Personally I wouldn't bother with letters etc I would just go to Environmental Health. If you do it anonymously they may suspect you but wouldn't definitely know it was you so I would just go for it.

• daisymoo86
    Beginner July 2016
    daisymoo86 ·
    • Hide content

My neighbour used to have dogs (they have moved out now). They only had one at a time but once they got rid of one they got a new one in. Each time they would leave the dog outside in the cold etc all day all night. The dogs would whimper and bark to be let in. I ended up reporting them to the RSPCA per dog for the treatment they were enduring. Shortly after each complaint with the RSPCA the dogs disappeared. I always did it anonymously. I would rather have reported the poor welfare then let anything happen to the dogs. I know its a slightly different situation, but if I were you I would try the anon note, then maybe step it up if things don't change after a couple of weeks.

• cinnamon009
    Beginner December 2014
    cinnamon009 ·
    • Hide content

I haven't ever had an issue with dogs but I have used environmental health for noisy neighbours before and remained anonymous and it worked really well. They come and talk to you then do an independent assessment of the issue and then contact the people involved.

I did feel like a bit of a coward doing it but I was living on my own at the time and didn't feel comfortable confronting them personally. By all accounts the noise stopped immediately and although I had visions of some kind of come back etc, actually environmental health said the neighbours were pretty embarrassed that it had got the point where they had been called in. They seemed oblivious to the noise they were creating.

In your case the owners may not realise the dog is barking. Environmental health take noise issues quite seriously as they realise the impact that it can have. I wasn't once made to feel like I was being unreasonable even though there was a part of me that thought I should just put up with it. I tried earplugs etc but that didn't work.

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

Thank you all so much for your replies.

I think that what I'll do it leave a note as I do think they're not aware of it and then if nothing happens (although I don't know what they'll be able to do if they're all out at work all day) then I'll call environmental health. I really do think the dogs are distressed and it's not normal to have barking for hours on end.

Glad that I'm not the only one who wants to just put a little note through the door!

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

Late to this - but I think you're absolutely right to leave them a letter, particularly if you think they aren't aware. Write it from a friendly neighbour point of view, let them know that it's distressing to you to hear the dogs so upset and you wondered if they were aware that the dogs fret so much during the day?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics