Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

inalein
Beginner August 2010

New bride to be in Scotland - Central Belt

inalein, 4 of April of 2009 at 07:21 Posted on Planning 0 36

Hi, we just told the last people of our engagement and are now starting to plan the wedding...well I am lol. I'm just trying to get as much information about venues as I can. My favorite so far is Duck Bay at Loch Lomond. Has anyone had any experience with it? I can't seem to find any reviews about it anywhere ☹️. Help would be appreciated.....it's really daunting to try and figure it all out.

36 replies

Latest activity by Ben, 7 of May of 2021 at 17:10
  • diamondsragirlsbestfriend!
    Beginner May 2008
    diamondsragirlsbestfriend! ·
    • Hide content

Hello, afraid I can't help with the venue but just wanted to say congratulations and welcome to Hitched. You should get lots of ideas on here. When is the wedding?

• ooh la la
    Beginner August 2013
    ooh la la ·
    • Hide content

Again, sorry, but I can't help with venues, but hello, congrats and good luck! ?

• Lee_Jon_Wedding_Singer
    Lee_Jon_Wedding_Singer ·
    • Hide content

Hi there,

This may help https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g1052529-d295991-Reviews-Duck_Bay-Alexandria_Loch_Lomond_and_The_Trossachs_National_Park_Scotland.html

I have to say we have stayed there, the views are amazing (If you like that kind of thing) .

Have you tried http://www.loch-lomond.co.uk/weddings.aspx

or

https://www.devere.co.uk/our-hotels/cameron-house/the-hotel

Hope this helps?

Oh and welcome to Hitched!

• Snow Patroller
    Snow Patroller ·
    • Hide content

Welcome and congrats!

The Scottish Wedding Directory magazine is your best bet for venue info - they have heaps of scottish venues of all sizes and prices ...

Where abouts in the central belt are you wanting? Do you live near Loch Lomond?...

• debs1701
    Beginner
    debs1701 ·
    • Hide content

Sorry can't be of anyhelp here but just wanted to say congrats and welcome to hitched ?, have you got a date in mind?

• Cheekyleeky
    Beginner August 2009
    Cheekyleeky ·
    • Hide content

Can't help with the venue but Congratulations and welcome to Hitched. What date you thinking of?

• inalein
    Beginner August 2010
    inalein ·
    • Hide content

Hey all, and thanks for the warm welcome and replies. I've been browsing the net for a couple of weeks now and there are sooooo manynice venues. But the castle hotels usually charge a fortune. I myself live close to Bathgate but we absolutely love Loch Lomond and getting married there would just be fab...but hey, I'm definetely open for other suggestions lol....

Oh yeh.....we are looking for May/June next year....

• ebee
    Beginner January 2008
    ebee ·
    • Hide content

Hi there, welcome to hitched ? I've just been editing a dvd of a couple whose recepetion was at Duck Bay, they had the ceremony at a church in Glasgow and then bussed everyone down to the Loch so I don't know what it's like to have the actual ceremony there...

Here's my tuppence worth though ? It was a nice venue - they had plenty of pretty outdoor spaces for photos and it's right on the water so lovely views .... the room itself was a good size, and the staff were well organised and everything seemed to run smoothly ? my only tiny reservation was that the outside of the hotel itself is a bit dated, but the inside was nice enough - lots of mirrors and chandeliers ?

If you want any more info you can email me at ****@**********.*** I might be able to send you a few screengrabs from the DVD if you wanted a better idea of the rooms etc...

• ebee
    Beginner January 2008
    ebee ·
    • Hide content

Meant to add, when H and I were looking at venues we also loved the Youth Hostel at Loch Lomond and I know they hire out the whole hostel at quiet times of the year .... it's just up the hill a bit from Duck Bay and really cosy ? You can see pics on the SYHA website ..

• babyw
    Beginner
    babyw ·
    • Hide content

I have been there but it was about 15 years ago. It was lovely then. LocH Lmmond is great I love it too. I wanted to get married in the church there but they were getting it rennovated at the time ☹️

I would second Lodge on Loch Lomond it really is stunning and the wedding/reception we were at was lovely. The bride & groom also organised for all the guests to have a trip round the loch in a boat with champagne... beautiful it was.

• Gillsy
    Beginner April 2010
    Gillsy ·
    • Hide content

Just wanted to say hi and welcome.

I'm an Ayrshire bride but I'm afraid that I can't tell much about the Duck Bay at Loch Lomond. Good luck with the planning.

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

Congratulations on your engagement and welcome to Hitched. I'm a Lanarkshire bride and I love Loch Lomond and have been to Duck Bay heaps of times but not for a good few years now. It was pretty dated then and the food didn't live up to their reputation but obviously a lot could have changed in that time. The actual location and setting is stunning.

I stayed for long weekends at the Castle Lodges which is just down the road and was much nicer and more personal so might be worth looking into. I can never find their website now but if you are up in the area it would definitely be worth a look.

Good luck with all your planning.

xx

x

• MrsMcB2B
    Beginner November 2009
    MrsMcB2B ·
    • Hide content

Hey!

Welcome to Htiched...a Glasgow Bride here ? Know nowt about Duck Bay but adore Loch Lomond, we go camping at Rowerdennan often and It's truly beautiful! Good luck with it all, and show us pictures of the location if you have any!

• diamondsragirlsbestfriend!
    Beginner May 2008
    diamondsragirlsbestfriend! ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Plenty of time to get sorted then, though venue and photographer are the two big things to sort first.

Good luck.

• inalein
    Beginner August 2010
    inalein ·
    • Hide content

Yeh there is still quiet a bit of time to plan and get organised (and lose weight). I just want to get the venue organised as soon as possible so I don't get dissapointed and they're fully booked.

Thanks again for all the tips. It's lovely to know that there are so many of you out there willing to help ?. Downside with Duck Bay is that the minimum is 60 ppl during the weekends, an we are not that many. I wonder if they would be willing to negotiate? Does anyone have any experience in this? A lot of hotels seem to have minimum number by the looks of it.

Airth Castle is also lovely, not at Loch Lomond, but looks very nice.....but might be out of our pricerange tho......

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

How many people are you thinking of having? My venue is allowing us to drop from 80 to 60 but not every venue would be so accommodating.

You can only ask them and see what they say. Most if not all venues will have min numbers and usually they say about 80 from the venues we looked at.

x

• inalein
    Beginner August 2010
    inalein ·
    • Hide content

At the moment my list is 27 including us......but hey, it's a year to go, so that might still change upwards. But I was thinking 30 -40 ppl. Duck Bay has a minimum of 60. But I'll give them a ring and see how flexible they are lol.

Gosh, the only thing i can think of is the wedding....is this going to be like this until the day???? I hope not, I'll probably end up in a mental institution lol ?

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

I'd give a few venues a call as I think with numbers of 30 - 40 you are going to be limited so better to give them a call now and then you know your options. Maybe you can find a lovely little venue which would be better for your numbers and also be more personal prehaps? Don't have any suggestions though!

You will have bursts of excitement but you'll go through a lull where you can't be bothered to do any planning. Everyone is excited at the start and then the novelty will wear off for a while. I'm 6 weeks and 6 days away now and actually I just can't be bothered anymore! I just want the day to be here and all the planning coming together. I'm excited but the nerves are kicking in slightly.

x

• ebee
    Beginner January 2008
    ebee ·
    • Hide content

? with small numbers like that you could get married on board the Maid of the Loch - that would be amazing ❤️

www.maidoftheloch.com

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Wow that would be really unique and gorgeous. Now I want a smaller wedding!

• P
    Beginner August 2004
    PinkSunday ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

Congratulations ? Happy Planning.

I was at a wedding last June in Duck Bay - it was lovely - it is such a nice setting. The day ran really smoothly and the food was fab! The only thing is I doubt they will be flexible with their minimum numbers :-( if you need some extra guests there are plenty of Glasgow/West Hitchers who I am sure would love to come to your wedding - ?.

Michelle

x

• P
    Beginner August 2004
    PinkSunday ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

Congratulations ? Happy Planning.

I was at a wedding last June in Duck Bay - it was lovely - it is such a nice setting. The day ran really smoothly and the food was fab! The only thing is I doubt they will be flexible with their minimum numbers :-( if you need some extra guests there are plenty of Glasgow/West Hitchers who I am sure would love to come to your wedding - ?.

Michelle

x

• Ms Nic
    Beginner May 2010
    Ms Nic ·
    • Hide content

Hiya inalein...

Not been to Duck Bay for aaaaages...

But wanted to say Congrats!

*another new scottish bride to be here too!* ?

• P
    Beginner April 2009
    pink_bride_23 ·
    • Hide content

Aw congratulations! Good luck venue hunting-there's lots of places in the west of scotland and loch lomond is soooooooooo nice! If you fancy a church wedding look at luss parish-so cute! I've been to a cameron house wedding, lovely but I hear quite expensive! Also there's the ross priory-owned by strathclyde uni that is in the area.

xxx

• inalein
    Beginner August 2010
    inalein ·
    • Hide content

Oh wow, more and more replies...thats great, thank you all so much. Yeh was thinking off Ross Priory as well, might have a look into that again. Just gotta get my numbers together.

Pink Sunday, would you have any more details? is the bride also on hitched by any chance? Would really like to get as much info as I can before I get in touch with them.

H2B was on call this weekend so I had plenty of time to surf the net....even found a front runner for my wedding dress lol.....I really need to get my priorities straight ?

• babyw
    Beginner
    babyw ·
    • Hide content

The venue where we had our reception didn't have minimum numbers. It was The Beardmore Hotel in Clydebank https://www.goldenjubileehotel.com/weddings/ We had the big room but you can have the smaller rooms for more intimate ceremonies and receptions.

You could easily get married at Luss Church and then travel back to the Beardmore - would be about 30 mins.

HTH

x

• babyw
    Beginner
    babyw ·
    • Hide content

Hi Ms Nic

Just wanted to say hello to you too. Congratulations to you too.

x

• inalein
    Beginner August 2010
    inalein ·
    • Hide content

Thanks again all. We are planning to have a civil ceremony as we are both no real church goers.....

What do you guys do for the reception? A full meal or just a buffet? H2B thinks a buffet should be enough, but I'm not so sure, as it is a loooong day.

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

I'm having a sit down meal for 60 and then a buffet for 100 at night. There are some people having buffets instead of a sit down meal but personally I wouldn't serve a buffet when people are out all day. It's just a personal choice.

x

• inalein
    Beginner August 2010
    inalein ·
    • Hide content

Phheeewww, thats a looot of ppl. Are you getting financial help from parents/inlaws2b? We have not spoken to them yet, but at the moment I am working with our own money (well or the banks really lol). If in due time they will help us with the costs, thats great, if not...well, we'll just have to pay the wedding off for a wee while longer lol. It's just a subject that I don't know how to approach with the parents.

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Sorry that isn't a question I want to answer as how we are paying for the wedding is a personal thing. 60 isn't a lot of people really because most of the venues we looked at had minimum numbers of 80 so we would have struggled only having 60.

Also we aren't going over board with anything to do with the wedding so what we might be paying to have 60 could be less than someone having 40 as it just depends on what you want for the meal, drinks, favours etc.

A wedding doesn't need to cost the earth so if you work out what budget you have then you can tailor your ideas to that.

I don't have a clue about approaching your parents, sorry.

Lx

• inalein
    Beginner August 2010
    inalein ·
    • Hide content

Sowwy, didn't mean to pry ?. My brain is just trying to process all the information its getting at the moment and sometimes I just should stick my foot in my mouth lol.....️?️.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics