Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Beginner July 2016

New Inlaws...

Kathryn3, 2 of April of 2015 at 16:25 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 16

...discuss

For me they're a bloody disaster. Huge argument at Christmas with little chance of reconciliation. Luckily they live about 7 hours drive away - but still the wedding (not till July 16) worries me. What's it like for the rest of you?

16 replies

Latest activity by Kathryn3, 3 of April of 2015 at 21:03
  • InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

It's just...meh. My H is an only child and has no contact with his father. His mum I get on fine with, but I doubt we would ever be friends. She had no involvement in planning our wedding.

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

Never met mine.

My MIL died just before Christmas, H's Dad phoned him for the first time in 4 years.

H never went to the funeral, and we have no plans to see FIL.

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Pfft, we get on ok with FIL (albeit not in a fatherly way particularly, more like a friend that you keep seeing even though they're a bit hopeless)

We work with my MIL but don't speak to her other than for work matters. She finally changed her name back to her maiden name a couple of months before we got married to separate herself from us! H has a brother and 2 sisters we don't see either. The only member of his family invited to our wedding was his dad

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

My FIL is a bit of a character! he's a complete nutter. But i have time for him. He means well and is a bit out of touch with the world generally so he says silly things. He did wind me up this Christmas being really judgmental about something, but I gave up trying to explain it to him. He's just too set in his ways and frankly doesn't know what he's talking about.

My MIL is lovely and very kind. She gave me the cutest birthday present ever. Totally not my style but she really listened to something I said in passing and got me something on that basis. I really like her.

BIL and SILs are lovely too. Like one SIL better than the other to be honest just cos we have more in common. Other SIL is lovely too though.

Overall pretty good!

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

I have a lovely lovely FIL. We lost MIL before we got married, but she was a lovely lady and we miss her a great deal.

My first in-laws were pretty horrible though.

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

My BILs and SILs are fab. MIL is ok but her partner is v.irritating. FIL is similar to ID'S. He's not a horrible person just self centred

• HelenSomerset
    Beginner September 2014
    HelenSomerset ·
    • Hide content

I am incredibly lucky with my inlaws. Spent 2 hours on Tuesday night just having a chat on the phone with my mother-in-law. I can't imagine how divisive it is to be at loggerheads with them.

• L
    Beginner October 2014
    LalaC1988 ·
    • Hide content

Love fil and mil in small quantities were just very different people so don't really like spending too long with them ironic to think slim chance may end up living with them temporary shortly fil is a lovely man but he's got a type of alsymous that makes him quite angry/damn right rude at times so I struggle with him

wouldn't change them too much though lol

• pink & glitz
    Beginner August 2014
    pink & glitz ·
    • Hide content

I have 2 sets of in-laws, in England and Scotland and we don't see them much.

Me and MIL use to get on, not so much now as she upset us both on our actual wedding day and our evening reception. She is a selfish human being, it's always got to be about her. I don't suffer fools gladly so to say and I don't care who it is, I tell them what I think.

You are not alone so I would concentrate on you and your OH - hopefully she will be okay on your wedding day x

• Chucklevision
    Beginner July 2015
    Chucklevision ·
    • Hide content

I think I'm quite lucky and my Future In-laws are lovely, although i have suspicions that his dad is a bit too 'fond' of me if you get my meaning.

Having said that, the partners of my OH's siblings, all come with their own drama/issues/dysfunctions so they make me look 'normal' . Apparently OH's family have a running pool/bet going on my deep dark secret!

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

?

• WickyWack
    Beginner July 2013
    WickyWack ·
    • Hide content

Luckily I completely love my mil and fill, we all get on great

• Sambarine
    Beginner May 2015
    Sambarine ·
    • Hide content

I have a much better deal with my in-laws than h2b has with his! fmil and ffil are absolutely lovely, have gone out of their way to help with the wedding without being intrusive, and have always been sweet and welcoming to me. my first xmas in the UK they invited me to come to them and fmil got me lots of little sweet gifts. my mum is self-centred and slightly mad, although my dad is great.

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

My MIL is a complete pain. Only ever sees anything from her point of view, is clueless but very opinionated which is a bad combination. Quite idle and likes to stick her nose in. FIL is nice but really needs to stand up to his wife more. I have very little in common with them both really. SIL’s are ok if a little self-absorbed and lazy. BIL is v.annoying, he takes after the MIL so is bossy and interfering,

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

I'm getting a FIL, a SIL, and a BIL. FIL is adorable and a real character. Love him and he thinks the world of me. SIL is a bit high maintenance but her heart is in the right place and will do anything for you and is generous to a fault. BIL, stubborn and selfish. Not coming to the wedding, his choice. I also inherit a shed load of step children and step grandchildren. Love them all to bits and they all love me so win Smiley smile

OH comes from a massive family so my small family has grown hugely but we are one family and have seen it that way for years. The wedding doesn't change any of it.

• L
    Beginner
    Lister ·
    • Hide content

My father in law died 4 years ago and mum in law a month ago. They were both wonderful and it breaks my heart thinking our kids won't grow up with their beloved Grandpa and Grandma.

• K
    Beginner July 2016
    Kathryn3 ·
    • Hide content

Genuinely lovely to hear from those of you who have a good relationship with your new inlaws. For the others - thanks heavens I'm not the only one with a 'strained' relationship!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics