Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner August 2012

New passports and travelling to the States

Larkie08, 13 of April of 2012 at 15:30 Posted on Honeymoons & Getting Married Abroad 0

Hi

We are planning on going to the states for our honeymoon, I've just been looking at changing my passport before the wedding to my married name. Does anyone know if having a passport that is not valid until the day of the wedding is going to affect applying for the ESTA needed to travel to the USA? It said on the direct.gov.uk passport info website that "Some countries will not issue visas for postdated passports".

Any advice would be great! Thanks x

• S
    Beginner July 2012
    SaraL ·
    • Hide content

When are you leaving on honeymoon?

From the US Embassy website -

ESTA will only recognise a valid passport. Therefore, you will not be able to register your details until the date on which the passport becomes vaild for travel. It is recommended that a traveler submit a registration at least 72 hours before traveling. If there is insufficient time for you to do this between the wedding ceremony and date of travel, you may wish to delay applying for a postdated passport and travel on your exisiting passport together with a copy of your marriage certificate.

Me again...
    If you are travelling on your wedding day you might be able to apply for the ESTA in the morning (it takes all of 5 minutes, you need an internet connection, your passport and a credit card) and for it to have being approved and passed to all the necessary databases in the US in time. I'd suggest you print the confirmation when you get it (in my experience it's been instantaneous) and take that with you and hope that satisfies them. If you're going the following day, applying on your wedding day should mean everything is there in time, and flying more than 24 hours+ later should be fine. You also need to supply the airline with advance passenger information too, which includes ESTA & passport info.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics