Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

tortoise

New signature

tortoise, 4 October, 2012 at 19:42 Posted on Planning 0 5

When do you start trying out signatures with your new surname?

I read somewhere it's bad luck before the day. Do you sign the register in your maiden name? Technically still a miss until you sign it, yes?

My now signature took me ages to sort out so it was easy to do and looked vaguely similar every time, so I'm really not looking forward to having a new one.

Also, what was the first thing you had to sign as a Mrs?

5 replies

Latest activity by Knees, 5 October, 2012 at 16:37
  • leni-lw!
    Beginner November 2011
    leni-lw! ·
    • Hide content

You sign it in your maiden name i.e mine was jones.. i still cant sign my new surname its too long ?

• tortoise
    tortoise ·
    • Hide content

My current surname is only 3 letters long and has a y at the end so is just a loopy squiggle, and I'll be going to 7 letters with no loopys up or down so it's going to be really hard to get used to. OH's is basically his first initial and a scribble back and forth. Very easy to forge, not that I would ever do such a thing! ?, but a bit boy-ish.

• swampy1901
    Beginner August 2012
    swampy1901 ·
    • Hide content

You sign in your maiden name - technically this is the last time you will use this signature!!

Fat chance - six weeks and I'm still changing paperwork to my married name. If you have the option to order copies of your marriage certificate then take it - it will make life so much easier as everyone wants to see the original!! When you have only one copy it needs to be sent recorded so it doesn't get lost then you have to wait for it to come back before you can send it on to the next one!!

But for the record the beginning of my signature is still the same - it changes from W to D but tails off into what used to be my signature!

Swampy

• sian-tiffany
    Beginner May 2012
    sian-tiffany ·
    • Hide content

I practised before as I just couldn't get it right. I loved my maiden name signature as is so easy, going from Collins to Stinton just didn't flow. So now I actually used my old signature, just made it a bit messier and put a line access the top to make it look like t's. now I love my new signature as my initials are SS Smiley smile

• Mrs*S
    Beginner June 2012
    Mrs*S ·
    • Hide content

I didn't practise mine as I was superstitious, but when we got to our honeymoon hotel they asked me to sign a a bit of paper on checking-in, and I had no idea how I was going to do it! The hubby just told me to sign with my old signature, but no way was I going to do that at my first opportunity to be Mrs S! The hotel receptionists just laughed at me - I bet they see loads of newlyweds suddenly stumped by the idea of having to sign their married name. I preferred my old signature to be honest, as it was easier to make it twirly and pretty, but I do like being Mrs S very much, so I guess it's a decent trade-off......

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

I work for H's dad's law firm, which, like most law firms, is called after the founding partners, so I've technically signed my married surname for over 5 years now!

Still haven't changed the bank mandate at work though, so I sign letters in my new name and cheques in my old name - very confusing.

The first time I used my new signature was when I got back to work. The only things I signed on honeymoon were credit card slips etc and my card was still in my maiden name.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics