Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

gingeremmie
Beginner May 2016

New to wedding planning and think I've made a newbie error already, Debenhams flower girl dresses

gingeremmie, 22 of May of 2015 at 13:04 Posted on Planning 0 19

So I'm just starting to plan our wedding, going to see the proposed venue on Thursday, I happened to be talking to my 3 yr old daughter about it all, and was telling her about wearing a pretty dress and she wanted to see some, so I showed her the first site I found on my phone, debenhams, and she immediately said "I want that one Mummy". Well after thinking about it for a week, I decided I may as well start somewhere and as she's terribly fussy, if she chooses a dress that she likes and will wear then that's a battle I don't have to have. So I've ordered 2, one for her, and one for my littlest daughter. This is the dress

I'm now thinking I've made a mistake thinking I could base my colour scheme around this. Because what colour is it?

I'm thinking about flowers - what colour flowers would match these dresses? I'm planning on having a 50s style tea dress for my wedding dress with a net petticoat, the only petticoats I can find are in very bright colours like turquoise, red, black, blue etc, they wouldn't go with this fairly muted colour. What about my bridesmaid? What colour would I dress her in?

But these dresses are sold by Debenhams as bridesmaid/flower girl dresses, so other brides must have had flower girls in them.

Any thoughts? Please help!

19 replies

Latest activity by MrsShep, 23 of May of 2015 at 08:52
  • Calella
    Beginner August 2016
    Calella ·
    • Hide content

Hi!

I wouldn't worry about it. You can always have your bridesmaids in a darker turquoise and the little ones in the lighter colour. There are so many pastel colours around just now that you'll have lots of choice.

Not everything has to be the same colour, find a few colours that work together and work from that palette!

• hellandglory
    Rockstar October 2019
    hellandglory ·
    • Hide content

I actually think that it's a lovely colour and would fit in with your theme. If you didn't want to have all blue you could maybe add another pastel colour with it, maybe lemon or coral? Heres a couple of examples i found straight away Smiley smile

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

I think it tends to be quite sensible to buy the flower girl dresses closer to the time of the wedding just because the little ones change so much. do you have a date for the wedding? is it going to be within 1 year? even then you're gambling on the girls still fitting the dresses.

It's a pretty dress though and i'm sure you can find flowers that will work. I can't quite see what colour it is but it should be easy to match it with maybe yellow or similar.

Your daughter is only 3 she'll forget having had this conversation so i wouldn't worry too much if the dress comes and you don't like it.

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

I think flowers like this would look good. I love those dresses!

I'm sure you could easily contrast or colour blend your bridesmaid Smiley smile

• hellandglory
    Rockstar October 2019
    hellandglory ·
    • Hide content

Also about the petticoat - i need a particular colour for mine so i'm having a seamstress make one for cheaper than i could buy.

• gingeremmie
    Beginner May 2016
    gingeremmie ·
    • Hide content

Thank you Calella, could I have a turquoise net petticoat for my dress do you think? Something like this?

I love your username by the way, it's beautiful! My daughter's name is Ella so maybe I'm biased!

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Duck egg blue ?

• gingeremmie
    Beginner May 2016
    gingeremmie ·
    • Hide content

Wow, quick replies, thank you everyone.

Hellandglory, is it a local seamstress who is making your petticoat? Are you supplying the net?

You've reassured me, I'm feeling better about it all.

I wish my 3 year old would forget, sadly she never does, she has such a memory, she is not easily distracted once her mind is made up. Yes, the wedding is hopefully to be next May, hopefully the 14th. I've accounted for the sizes, my 3 yr old is 3.5 now so will be 4.5 next May, and I've bought her an age 6 dress (she's already in 5-6 having grown out of most 4-5), and my little one is 1.5 now, so will be 2.5 next May and I've bought her an age 3 dress. If they're not right, I'll return them and try and find a more sensible colour!

• Calella
    Beginner August 2016
    Calella ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hehe thanks! It's the name of the town OH and I got engaged in and I think it's rather lovely too! You totally could have a petticoat that colour! It's lovely!

I'd say the colour of the little one's dress is a duck egg colour, it's lovely!

I do agree though that she may well forget about this conversation, or may grow out of the dress quite quickly.

Pinterest is great for getting ideas!

• gingeremmie
    Beginner May 2016
    gingeremmie ·
    • Hide content

Can I ask what terms you searched for to find these please hellandglory?

• hellandglory
    Rockstar October 2019
    hellandglory ·
    • Hide content

Of course, on pinterest i just searched 'blue flowers' or 'blue bouquet' and they came u.

As for seamstress, i'm providing the material as it was difficult to match and cheaper for me to get it, but i dare say she would have sourced it if i'd asked.

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content

I think it's a fairly easy colour, our bridesmaids dresses are similar and I'm having peach in the flowers and just having pastel colours for the decoration. I'm not really fussed on things matching exactly though and I think with whatever colour you choose you will find slightly different shades when it comes to getting things to match.

• L
    Beginner October 2014
    LalaC1988 ·
    • Hide content

Honest question though is are you only pining this colour because your little girl likes it? Kids are very adjustable and could be easily swayed into other beautiful dresses. Any chance you could treat her to this for another occasion and get a colour for the wedding you can easily work with?

• gingeremmie
    Beginner May 2016
    gingeremmie ·
    • Hide content

I wish my 3 year old was adjustable, sadly she's not adjustable at all Smiley sad

I guess I don't know what colour to choose anyway. I'm fair, and have pale colouring, so I can't go for a bold colour anyway, I think I'd prefer pink, but pale blue is good. Maybe a pastel mix colour scheme will be perfect. I'm not doing any more until I've been to see the venue on Thursday anyway, so I will worry about it after that Smiley winking

• HelenSomerset
    Beginner September 2014
    HelenSomerset ·
    • Hide content

Welcome to Hitched.

I love that colour but I am biased because that's the colour my bridesmaids wore. I couldn't find flowergirl dresses to match so went for ivory in the end. Wish I had seen these!

I matched the colour with ivory, pale pink and bits of silver. My flowers were quite similar to the ones Mrs Shep posted. We got the blue in by having a blue coloured lavender in the bouquet and another plant that had silvery coloured balls on it.

• F
    Beginner August 2016
    FutureMrsMarshall ·
    • Hide content

It's a really pretty colour! I second the idea of yellow/lemon as a complementary colour, although perhaps not for dresses as it doesn't suit all skin tones. But for things like flowers and the petticoat, it looks quite fun to me! Like here: http://www.lovemydress.net/blog/2014/02/polka-dots-daisies-yellow-petticoat-candy-anthony-1950s-seaside-wedding-dress.html.

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

Welcmoe to hitched. I'd be inclined to look at other things you want in the wedding colour, before committing to try to match everything to duck blue. Or as others have said, it works with pink and many other colours. I've usually seen the BM's are in a colour and flower girls in white/ivory, but no reason they cant be in different colours or the same. You might just struggle to match the BM's to that dress though.

As for petticoats, I found these links which might help. All have lots of colours to choose from, including pastels:

http://www.honeypieboutique.co.uk/ourshop/cat_236278-Luxury-Custom-Petticoats.html

http://www.tigermilly.com/sc-Petticoats-30.aspx

http://www.swingtimecollection.co.uk/petticoats.htm

• Z
    Beginner September 2015
    Zoranra ·
    • Hide content

I think the dress is beautiful. your daughter really have minds. more petticoat found for you Smiley smile

http://www.adasbridal.com/wedding-petticoat-12-p2.html?sort=0

• gingeremmie
    Beginner May 2016
    gingeremmie ·
    • Hide content

I found this yesterday on a lady's Facebook page, this is fab, means I can go for any pale greeny blues. Thanks everyone, I'm feeling much better Smiley smile

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Oh wow, that petticoat is amazing!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics