Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner June 2014

New Years Eve Wedding?

SoonToBeMrsP, 5 March, 2013 at 16:59 Posted on Planning 0 11

Hello Everyone,

I'm new here and excited to be writing my first post!

I got engaged in January, so it's still very new with nothing planned yet. We're still deciding when to get married...H2B wants a New Years Eve wedding...I'm not so sure.

What does everyone think about a NYE wedding? Would you go to one if you were invited?

I have tried to quietly ask some close girfriends and the response has been mixed, and I don't want to ask too many people as H2B still just wants to "be engaged" and not pressured into a million decisions straight away! His main reason is that he couldn't bear to plan a spring/summer wedding and then have it rain. Our first date was in May, and so I would prefer around then..

I'm also concerned about increased prices for everything on that night, as well as it being a financially straining time of year for everyone, would our guests feel annoyed about that? But some people have loved the idea as it's a great time for a party. Perhaps the idea is fun, but the reality not so much!

Any thoughts welcome.

Thank you. Looks like this site could get so addictive!

11 replies

Latest activity by The Wedding Singer, 7 March, 2013 at 12:23
  • Mrspetal
    Beginner February 2014
    Mrspetal ·
    • Hide content

I would love to go to a wedding at New Years!

Brilliant idea! You can make a huge party in the evening.

It has its draw backs, like people going to parties but I think if you got in there quick before anyone has an invite then it will be fine.

have some live entertainment and good food, I would check the prices at the bar too. Don't want people not drinking because its too expensive.

Really love that idea!

• N
    Beginner December 2014
    nattielo ·
    • Hide content

We considered a nye wedding but eventually decided on dec 28th. we wanted more time off work afterwards to plan a honeymoon ?

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

On that note I do know some venues that are glad to have a weeding on NYE as that saves them the bother of organising anything themselves, laying on entertainment, advertising, printing flyers for the event.

What they want is rooms booked bar drunk and a wedding gives them this, so they MIGHT not to bump prices up, perhaps so long as you are booking a full day with lots of guests--------- or from past experience they make far more money from a normal NYE than a wedding on NYE in which case they will be looking to up the price to match.

I had a NYE wedding a while back so not unknown

• Poppy14
    Beginner April 2014
    Poppy14 ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

I don't think most people would mind if they had plenty of notice for saving up.

The only thing I'd be worried about as a guest is the price of a taxi home if we weren't staying over.

But apart from that it sounds lovely xx

• Kentish Gal
    Beginner July 2013
    Kentish Gal ·
    • Hide content

It didn't fit for us but I'd have LOVED a NYE wedding and would definitely prefer to attend a wedding on NYE than a different day. Awesome atmosphere I bet!

• BarcaGirl25
    Beginner April 2014
    BarcaGirl25 ·
    • Hide content

I think a NYE wedding would be wonderful!

I usually don't bother with NYE celebrations and it'd be nice to have something to get look forward to. Maybe I'm the exception there in not celebrating but I think most people would be happy with an NYE wedding anyway!

• Aurora Borealis
    Beginner June 2013
    Aurora Borealis ·
    • Hide content

I would happily attend a NYE wedding, although I believe at my venue it is more expensive on NYE. I recommend you choose a few venues you like, look around them and enquire if the price is different for NYE, and just take your time to decide what you both want.

• Rosco298
    Beginner February 2014
    Rosco298 ·
    • Hide content

Hi

• Rosco298
    Beginner February 2014
    Rosco298 ·
    • Hide content

Hi

Welcome to Hitched. I have been to a wedding on NYE and it was fantastic, there was a wonderful atmosphere and we all had a wonderful time. I agree with the person above about taxi prices home. I stayed at the same resort as the wedding so it wasn't a problem for me. So in your shoes I would be tempted to book a venue with accomodation but obviously that it your choice. As for costs I would just inform people as soon as possible about the date. The wedding I went to was in Ireland, I had just graduated and started my first job but with plenty of notice I was able to pay for flights and hotel in advance so I only had to find my drinks money aound the time. My friend specified 'black tie' as her dress code which also gave us all a chance to dress up. I think it's a great idea.

• Love&Lavender
    Beginner September 2014
    Love&Lavender ·
    • Hide content

I attended a family wedding on NYE a few years back and it was really good fun. My OH had been dreading it as it was a side of the family he didn't know so well and he would have liked to go out but after he admitted he had great fun too and preferred it to going out. My only word of advice would be too make sure that your venue doesn't stop serving or need you off the premises before midnight, it would be such a shame to miss the countdown! Our venue only has a license until 11.30 so wouldn't work for a NYE wedding in my opinion.

• The Wedding Singer
    The Wedding Singer ·
    • Hide content

Hi there

I normally work at a wedding on a New Year's Eve - they've always been jam-packed with a really good atmosphere in my experience.

I have no idea how this would impact on your venue price but, to give you an idea of cost, I would normally add around 40% - 50% to my usual fee.

James

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics