Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner February 2017

New York Weddings

LuxuriousGreenConfetti511, 16 of March of 2016 at 20:59 Posted on Honeymoons & Getting Married Abroad 0 19

Hello!

Is anyone getting married in New York? We are eloping to city hall next year...I just wanted to know if anyone had any advice for us? Also, any recommendations for photographers out there? We don't want anything fancy, just pictures during the service and just after to prove we are married!

Thank you Smiley smile

19 replies

Latest activity by ExpensiveBrownDiamonds1257, 28 of April of 2016 at 05:41
  • L
    Beginner September 2016
    LuxuriousPurpleConfetti524 ·
    • Hide content

Hi, I'm planning my wedding in New York at the city marriage bureau. Have you looked at trip advisor ?

So far we have booked out trip, the photographer, the make up/hair lady and bought our wedding rings and my wedding dress.

Be nice to chat to another New York bride !

• L
    Beginner February 2017
    LuxuriousGreenConfetti511 ·
    • Hide content

Hello! It is so lovely to find another New York bride! Are you taking guests with you? We are going alone with our son, we haven't told anyone about it either! When are you getting married there? I would love to know more about your photographer as we haven't got one yet. Also, what kind of dress you are opting for? I don't think I am going to have a actual wedding dress, but I am still not sure! x

• L
    Beginner September 2016
    LuxuriousBlueFlowers596 ·
    • Hide content

Hello

We are also planning on getting married at the courthouse at the start of Sept. Only flights booked so far...

We are planning on just us in NYC and then a party when we get back to London.

• H
    Beginner January 1999
    HappyYellowCars348 ·
    • Hide content

Hello!

I am getting married at the New York marriage bureau too. In 15 days!!!!

I am a lurker on hitched but a bit more active on another forum, and there was an old thread with a lot of recommendations on which I found really helpful.

We are using Brian Friedman for photography:

http://www.b-freedweddings.com/

As he comes well recommended.

Happy to share details of other suppliers etc.

X

• L
    Beginner February 2017
    • Hide content

Hello Ella,

That is exactly what we are going to do, just us and then a party once we are home! Do you have any idea what kind of dress you will wear? I am not sure whether to wear an actual wedding dress or buy a smart white dress in coast or somewhere similar.

It's good to chat to people about this, as we haven't told anyone about the wedding!!

Sophie x

• L
    Beginner February 2017
    • Hide content

Wow how exciting for you, only 15 days!!! How are you feeling? I have looked at Brian Friedman photography but we are looking for something a bit more basic I think. What kind of dress have you gone for? Are you taking anyone else with you or is it just you two? What is the other forum that you use and found helpful? Good luck!! x

• E
    Beginner
    ExpensiveBrownDiamonds1257 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I would check out WeddingWire or TheKnot for vendors. They are two American sites similar to Hitched and they have a lot of vendor profiles with reviews. Although there would probably be a lot to sort through in NYC. Keep in mind the average cost of wedding services in NYC is pretty high, but with so many creative professionals in the city trying to build up their portfolios you can probably find a talented photographer in every price range.

• H
    Beginner January 1999
    HappyYellowCars348 ·
    • Hide content

Have you looked at jasmine photo? Have heard good reviews and think they have a wide range of packages.

I have an A line satin wedding dress, although there have been some last minute hiccups with it and may end up buying something else. What are you going to wear? I love that you can wear whatever you fancy for city hall!

Yep it's just the two of us Smiley smile

I used two old threads on the you and your wedding forum. You can search them from google and were called who's getting married in new york and new york - temporary thread. There is a huge number of posts on them and I read them all! It was quite fun and had lots of ideas! X

• L
    Beginner September 2016
    LuxuriousBlueFlowers596 ·
    • Hide content

I actually have a dress sorted - a vintage one in teal blue. Not exactly traditional but it meant a lot to my mum so it means a lot to me! What are you thinking for dresses?

How come you haven't told anyone - are people expecting you to have it in the UK?

• S
    Curious January 2021
    SunnyGoldConfetti509 ·
    • Hide content

Hey there,

Have you heard of thumbtack.com? You can get quotes from photographers in the area as well as read recommendations for them. Very popular website in the USA.

• H
    Beginner August 2016
    HappyIvoryDecor511 ·
    • Hide content

Hi

We fly out to New York on 29th August to get married.

I can't believe how fast the time is passing by. We have booked a party for when we get back as it's just us two going.

I think I will book Jasmine Photographers as I have read good things and they are very reasonable compared to some others I've seen. Someone said maybe go to Macy's or one of the department store for make up as it will be free or just the cost of some cosmetics - has anyone done this?

I still need to find a hair stylist, make up artist and florist if anyone has any recommendations close by, we are staying W53rd street.

I'm just debating whether or not to order my dress from China - any thoughts? I can't really have a huge dress as we fly to the Caribbean for two weeks afterwards and don;t really want to be carting a massive dress around with me. I was thinking may a tea-length style and take it on the plane as hand luggage?

What time of day are you going to City Hall, we were planning on going later in the day and then we can go straight our for drinks and some dinner afterwards to a nice restaurant, I've been told to avoid lunch time, but not sure on when this ends?? Also at that time of day does anyone know how long it will take to get from central park to Worth St?

Any other advice - much appreciated!

• L
    Beginner February 2017
    • Hide content

The reason we aren't telling anyone about our wedding is because I have been engaged for a while now and I thought it would be so cool if I just suddenly announced that we had got married, once we got home! A lovely surprise for our family, but I'm finding it so hard to keep things a secret, especially not telling my closest friends! I'm just thankful I can chat to you lot instead!!

I think go for the dress from China, you could always have it altered over here if needs be.

Does anyone know of any particularly nice restaurants that are also child friendly in New York, somewhere we can go once we are married?

I'm so excited!

X

• E
    Beginner
    • Hide content

It depends on where in Central Park you're coming from. If you're coming from Central Park South (and already outside the park) it can take 20-25 mins without traffic. But there is always traffic. It will take longer if you're coming from further uptown.

• H
    HappyGreenDiamonds568 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Ladies,

Just stumbled across this thread! We are planning to Elope in New York in 9 weeks at City Hall. Everything seems quite straight forward so far, i am trying to sell my original wedding dress as i think it will be too big to take, i know everyone can wear a wide range of dresses and suits etc and it can sometimes be a more casual affair too. I have bought a Champagne coloured lace covered dress to the knee with jewels along the neckline, it is beautiful and i am looking forward to wearing it, all be it sad to see my Wedding dress go if it sells. We are staying with the Distrikt Hotel and the staff there are brilliant so far, being quite helpful. I am planning on doing my own wedding hair and make up but will be in touch with the hotel and see if they have any tips for flowers Smiley smile I found a company called LE IMAGE, their style of shooting looks a bit more relaxed and fun and they do just photography packages too. We have decided to head to city hall in the morning of Weds 22nd of June to have the ceremony and pics for a couple of hours and then for our evening meal we have booked on a boat cruise on the river hudson called La Bateux which is nearly 3 hours long in the evening with a meal and a band playing etc. Other than that nothing else organised and to be fair i haven't booked the photographer yet. Smiley surprise

How exciting you are all eloping/getting married in New York. I am enjoying reading all your posts. We haven't told anyone so its nice to see you guys chatting about it.

Good luck with the planning x

• L
    Beginner February 2017
    • Hide content

Hello! It is so lovely to speak to someone who has the same plans as me! I am finding it difficult not telling anyone and so it is such a relief coming on here and chatting weddings! I have emailed a few photographers for quotes, there is a really cheap photographer I have found but I am not sure I like his photos. I think he is just called NYC wedding photographer. I am not going for a typical wedding dress...to be honest I won't sort my dress until the last minute as I am hoping to lose some weight before the big day in February. I am going to take fabric flowers or a button bouquet with me, I have found some really lovely fabric flower bouquet's on etsy! I just keep saving so many photos on pinterest for things that I want for the wedding. Will you have a party once you get home? Also, when will you break the news to everyone? It is all very exciting isn't it! Have you found any useful websites or forums?

x

• H
    HappyGreenDiamonds568 ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

I know what you mean, sometimes i look at these photographers websites and im just not sure about it, on some they are good and others not so good so i am hesitant to book one currently, but atleast there is alot of choice to choose from i guess.

Great idea about the Fabric flowers, i may look into that too.

I think we will organise something when we return, but his brother is getting married in September so dont want to be seen as stealing their thunder and having a party in August or something. So not really sure what to do with that. But if we do it wont be anything crazy.

Not sure if we will wait to get back to tell people, probably tell parents and family on the day perhaps then send something out to friends and further afield family in the post with a picture on or something. Not quite sure yet.

I have pretty much been looking into everything myself really, trawling websites and trip advisor forums too but i found them to be out of date slightly now, so i am glad i have found this thread. And only really came across it because i am trying to sell my wedding dress haha. If anyone has any ideas what to do with my dress please shout out as i have had it on ebay and bride2be..co.uk and not getting much response from it. Going to google some more sites.

I cant believe you have to wait till February for you wedding, i dont know how you are coping, i just want to go now and get married haha. still 9 weeks to go!

Have you found anywhere you want to have pictures after the ceremony? Or where you may eat? Hotels?

Exciting! x

• L
    Beginner February 2017
    • Hide content

I think we will probably book and arrange a party once we are back, so it will be a couple of months after we actually get married, and I can wear my dress again!! I have been doing it all myself too, it is really strange not talking to my friends about it or getting their opinion on anything, although it is lovely not to have the input of family members!!

When did you book to go or when did you decide to go? We booked in Feb this year...I have a long wait although I graduate from uni (I'm a mature student!!) this year so it is going to fly by! I have just found this lovely hair piece from zara, it is only £16.99 - bargain!

We are not too fussed about photos after the ceremony, I definitely want photos during the ceremony, and a photo of us next to a yellow taxi! How about you? I look on pinterest for photo ideas so that I can give some input when I finally book the photographer! I am in the process of finding somewhere to eat after, we will have our 7 year old son with us, so it can't be anywhere too fancy, but it can't be anywhere too much like a chain restaurant - it needs to be a bit special! Do you have any ideas? I was thinking about going to see a show on broadway that evening. Have you got any other ideas of what you will do? How long are you staying there for?

x

• H
    Beginner August 2016
    HappyIvoryDecor511 ·
    • Hide content

Hi All

Its so good that there are a few of us going away this year doing the same thing!

I have found a photographer it's wind catcher photography and a guy called Chao he's so friendly and helpful, quick at responding and extremely reasonable! $375 for 2hours or $500 for 3 hours and this doesn't include travel time so he is meeting is at our hotel, travelling down to city hall and the. Taking some photos in different locations afterwards, he said we can book for 2 hours but if we need longer we can just let him know on the day, also we just need to pay him when we get there. He has sent us a contract and we are all booked in, his pictures look fab!

I asked him for restaurant recommendations and he suggested the River Cafe just at the other side of the Brooklyn Bridge, it has amazing views of the Manhatten skyline and the food looks fab! It's quite prices but it's your wedding day so it's worth it! Be great there for some pics!

Our party when we get back is booked and deposit paid now, it's 3 weeks after we get back from the Carribean. Need to get invites sorted, etc.

On the dress front I went to one of those outlet warehouses to try on a few styles and I'm so glad I did as all the tea length ones I tried I hated, they made me look really dumpy, I tried a skinny fitting fishtail dress so at least know i know a style that suits me, I think I'll defo order one from the Internet, just need to lose a few more lb's first!!

Seriously check out Chaos website couldn't believe my luck when I found him!

xxx

• H
    HappyGreenDiamonds568 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Ladies,

oh my days, I have just enquired with Windcatcher Photography for our wedding photography, what a nice guy, totally agree that his prices are super decent and his pics look lovely and he gave us some great ideas for pictures afterwards. I need to email him back to confirm but thinking he will be taking pictures before, during and after the ceremony where we will head over to Brooklyn bridge and a place called 'dumbo' just in Brooklyn where we can have some nice pics taken. great to hear the process of booking and paying etc.

i went to an outlet place to get my wedding dress too in bury I think it was. I bought mine from there trying to sell it as I won't wear it in New York http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/114847960/wedding-dress.html?link=%2Fadverts%2Flist%3Fmemberid%3D2014527447

It's so pretty I will be sad to see it go, if I ever sell it that is haha.

we would love to see a show, currently thinking phantom of the opera, we have booked our New York City pass for two days and booking the le bateaux cruise for the evening of our wedding day. We are in New York for five nights, We are then actually flying to Miami for a week where we have hired a car to drive to Orlando for two nights.....this is costing us a fortune ?

How lovely that your son will be there with you. I am sure there will be many places to choose from to go and eat and shows to see, I found a site called broadway box.com that sell discounted tickets. Look nearer the time you may find something.

we booked ours in December on a whim because we found cheap flights ? Still felt like ages to wait though, times going quicker now which is good! Feels weird not having too much to organise. I am just going to see what happens when we get back about a party. When will you send out initiations if you have somewhere booked for your return for a party?

Ohh good find for the hair piece, I love a bargain. I just bought some champagne coloured slightly sparkly high shoes in Dorothy Perkins flash sale for £17.50! I am doing my hair and make up myself so I need to see what to do about my mop haha xxx

• E
    Beginner
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I just wanted to say that I used to live in the Brooklyn Heights/DUMBO area and it is one of my favorite places. I always take guests there when I'm showing them the city. You are going to have gorgeous photos and I'm so excited for you!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics