Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner October 2018

Newbie needing help with wedding venue

MrsPennyfathertoB, 9 of August of 2016 at 22:29 Posted on Planning 0 7

Hi everyone

I am newly engaged and this is my first post on the forum.

So I guess the first thing I need to do is find somewhere to get married, but that seems easier said than done.

I have a list of things I definitely don't want, but what I'm not sure of is what I do want. The best way to describe what I think I'm after is a modern space with character or historical type features.

Things I definitely do what:

• Nice Accommodation for at least 30 people
  • At least a midnight finish
  • Light airy space
  • At least two rooms (one ceremony, and one reception) but 3 would be preferable so we can have drinks somewhere separate
  • Nice toilets (don't ask)

Things I definitely don't want:

• Marquee
  • Carpet in the reception area
  • Wood panelling

Our budget is around £12k for the venue hire, wine, prosecco, canapés,nwedding breakfast and evening buffet for 60 people in the day and 20 in the evening.

As an example, wedding venues I do really like (but which are out of our budget, or don't have accommodation) are Axnoller Park, Kew Gardens, Southen Barns, Botleys Mansion. We are going to look at braxted hall next week but it will depend on whether you have to use the marquee.

We are based in mid Essex and are happy to travel up to 2 hours from here. Areas I like are Cotswolds, New Forest etc, but happy to travel anywhere within a 2 hour radius .

I can feel me being a complete bridezilla already!

Thank you in advance!

7 replies

Latest activity by NathalieSB, 2 of December of 2016 at 10:36
  • Karen84
    Beginner July 2016
    Karen84 ·
    • Hide content

Hello, welcome and congratulations on your engagement!

We recently got married at The Orangery in Maidstone. It doesn't have accommodation on site (we stayed in a nearby Hilton) but it definitely ticks your other boxes if that's not a total deal breaker.

• M
    Beginner October 2018
    MrsPennyfathertoB ·
    • Hide content

Thank you so much! Will have a look at that one ☺️ Xxx

• MetalBride
    Beginner April 2018
    MetalBride ·
    • Hide content

Have you looked at the venue section on hitched? It's a good place to start. Also look for some local wedding fairs, they can be useful x

• Laura Ellen Photography
    Beginner May 2014
    Laura Ellen Photography ·
    • Hide content

You could try White Dove Barns (comes under Suffolk Weddings), Nonsuch Mansion (no accomodation, but places nearby), Cripps Barn (no accomodation, but places nearby), Bassmead Manor Barns, Millbridge Court. As others have said, have a look on the Hitched directory, but also at Coco Wedding Venues too.

• M
    Beginner October 2018
    MrsPennyfathertoB ·
    • Hide content

Thanks so much ladies. I feel like I've looked at hundreds of venues but nothing is ticking all of the boxes! I think I think I might be too picky. Will have a look at those venues you mention xx

• FutureMrsO'L
    Beginner April 2018
    FutureMrsO'L ·
    • Hide content

Try looking at That Amazing Place in Harlow. It will tick the majority of the boxes that you have mentioned (although it only sleeps up to 25) & it is truly amazing as the name suggests! We will be getting married there in April 2018 & I cannot wait!

• M
    Beginner May 2018
    MayBohoBride ·
    • Hide content

Hi!

Late replying to your post here but was just wondering if you managed to find the perfect venue?

I am in exactly the same position - I know exactly what I don't want, and we have 5-6 key criteria we are looking for in what we do want. I have yet to find anywhere that is ticking all the boxes, so don't know if I am being too picky and need to compromise on a few things, or if we just need to keep hunting....

It would be great to hear how you got on Smiley smile

• NathalieSB
    NathalieSB ·
    • Hide content

Hello.

Some great suggestions here - and I have stayed at That Amazing Place in Harlow and it is lovely.

Non Such Mansion is also a stunner (and the toilets are out of this world! (In a good way)).

I also rather like Oaks Farm, just outside Croydon, Coltsford Mill just South of the M25, Wotton House (Surrey) which has the most beautiful ceremony room) and Gaynes Park is a Barn which also has a stunning separate very light and bright Orangery (near Epping).

Good luck - there are so many venues to choose from - selecting one is quite a task!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics