Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Beginner July 2015

Newbie Seeking Help! Venue vs. Marquee

AmyE85, 29 of September of 2014 at 22:07 Posted on Planning 0 2

Hi

I got engaged two weeks ago so am in the very early planning stages and just wondered if someone could assist - either you're planning your wedding reception in a marquee or know someone who has!

We've definitely decided to marry at our village church - my dilemma is whether to have a marquee, as this would be a complete blank canvas and would better support my ivory theme, or whether it would be much cheaper to hire a venue. The venues nearby that we've looked at are all approx. £42 per head for the wedding breakfast and £16 - 21 for the evening. We have 89 day guests and 170 night guests so need to cut costs where possible.

I suppose my questions mainly are: what is the average cost per head of using a catering company vs. a meal at a hotel? Has anyone any experience with this?

Thanks in advance for your help - just don't know where to start!

Amy

2 replies

Latest activity by MOMB, 30 of September of 2014 at 10:01
  • Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

Comparing the catering costs isn't really as relevant as you might think. Marquee weddings are expensive - especially for the size of marquee you will require. It will be much cheaper to have a reception in a hotel than in a hired marquee.

You can find hotels that have permanent marquees, I even photographed a wedding at a village pub in Yorkshire that has one! If you can find a venue with a permanent marquee then that will be no more than normal. The big costs come when you book a one-off marquee erection on a site of your choice.

• Lapland2015
    Beginner December 2015
    Lapland2015 ·
    • Hide content

We had a look at a venue that hosted wedding inside and out and found the was around £1000 difference between hiring the land and venue but then we found after paying for the marquee, bar, electric etc it really wasn't much difference. I think they are lovely in the summer and stunning when the sides are all open and your surrounded by lovely grounds but I think you can get better deals on actual venue hire without the addition of a marquee but that has lovely gardens to wander through so you have the best of both

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    MOMB ·
    • Hide content

Just to throw another option into the mix....someone on here last year hired a village hall for the weekend and had it lined with a full marquee lining: it looked absolutely amazing, cost a fraction of hiring a marquee, enabled them to have a competely blank canvas and to use their choice of external caterer/DIY. Just thought it might be one to consider if you have an appropriate hall near your village church.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics