Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

*Pugsley*
Beginner March 2014

Newbie to weight loss forum

*Pugsley*, 21 of January of 2013 at 20:32 Posted on Beauty & Wellbeing 1 6

Hi everyone,

This is my first time on the weight loss threads, I'm just looking for a little motivation and advice.

Over the past couple of years I've put on just over a stone and a half which might not seem a lot but just isn't look/feel healthy on my (fairly petite) 5'4 frame. I'm also getting married in 14months and have to fit in to a dress I've bought in a sample sale so won't be made to measure and can only be altered so much. When I tried my dress on it just did up and I had at that point decided to lose at least half a stone. Since then I have put on just over half a stone (I went to an all inclusive holiday last week & completely pigged out!!). I know I can lose weight rapidly with slim-fast but I also know this isn't healthy so I'd rather not do that unless I get to the point where I need to panic-diet.

I started working in an office a year ago which really hasn't helped as there is always food, biscuits, chocolate, crisps etc floating around. Can anyone suggest ways to stop me pigging out at work + making healthy meals and lunches. I also work long hours so it's hard to get to go to a gym except weekends. Can anyone suggest anything I can do exercise-wise to help tone?

Sorry, this has turnes in to a longer message that I intended! Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

6 replies

Latest activity by Samantha, 12 of January of 2024 at 13:40
  • lickinglizard
    Beginner June 2016
    lickinglizard ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

I understand your busy schedule, as I have a very demanding career, and a 9 year old son, so don't always have time to exercise and plan as much as i want! I have recently joined slimming world though, and am very motivated now to lose the weight for my wedding in May next year, and I have a lot more than you to lose!

I have started bringing small packets of fruit, and muller light yogurts to work with me, as I can just pick at them as and when I need them!

I thinking choosing a healthy eating plan apposed to a 'diet', will help you lose and maintain the weight loss, so you will look and feel fabulous for your big day!

If you want any more info, just PM me.

Good Luck, Liz

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for replying.

Yes, I think I'll go down the healthy as opposed to diet route as I don't need to lose too much. It's more a case of actually keeping it off with me, I keep slowly creeping up in weight.

Think I'll have to bring my food in for lunch and not get tempted by the sandwich bars all around me at work. :-)

• lickinglizard
    Beginner June 2016
    lickinglizard ·
    • Hide content

Yeah, bringing lunch to work is a big help! Well it is for me, then I am not tempted by the quick fix bacon butties, and so on at lunchtime!

• lickinglizard
    Beginner June 2016
    lickinglizard ·
    • Hide content

• Mrspetal
    Beginner February 2014
    Mrspetal ·
    • Hide content

Slimming world is amazing! i lost 1 and a half stone took me 6 months but it was very easy to follow.

Take snacks with you to work and if you feel tempted by other snacks instead of saying 'no i cant have it' say 'no i dont want it'.

zumba is really good too, its fun and the hour is over in a flash!

why dont you and your partner do something together at the weekend? running, walking, cycling or a relaxing swim.

good luck x

• CharlotteRolfe
    Curious August 2022 Devon
    CharlotteRolfe ·
    • Hide content

Hi

As a personal trainer i cannot stress enough....relax!

The only thing i would say is helpful of slimming world is that they teach you to cook yourself, the rest bugs me. The importance of scales infuriates me, as scales do not measure fat , water or muscle, just the object on it.

You do not have to go hell for leather on cardio but i would recommend 3 times a week intergrate weights with your cardio e,g kettlebell swings, dumbbell snatches, barbell clean presses, and slam balls ( my fave espesh if you have had a bad day). Then the other days focus on just walking for up to an hour somewhere that may have a slight incline involved.

Next, a calorie deficit, you can work this out online by going to a calorie deficit calculator ( i use the healthline one) and go with the slow weight loss ( i did this and lost 4 stone in 10 months) if you go too low with your calories you end up in starvation mode , so you want your body to feel its getting what it needs to then let go of the fat its been using to keep you alive, and ensure you burn 300-500 cals more than what your calculator tells you to eat and you are on your way to losing fat. It doesnt matter when you eat aslong as you eat the calories you have set yourself.

Hope this helps

x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics