Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Elliefunt
Beginner April 2016

Newborn baby and wedding

Elliefunt, 15 of June of 2015 at 21:58 Posted on Planning 0 9

Hi...so a couple of months ago DP and I were chatting about our wedding (in ten months time) and said that now would be really bad timing to have a baby. Not sure what made us have that conversation as it's always been something we planned to happen after the wedding. So naturally I found out I'm pregnant last week and the baby will be 6-8 weeks old by the time the wedding comes around...

Am I mad to go ahead with the wedding? Do you think it would be better to postpone? I genuinely can't decide - people have already booked travel from abroad and accommodation for the wedding and I think if we don't do it then we won't get round to it once we have children.

either way I will wait until 12 weeks to actually do anything I just want to know if I would be crazy to aim for my original wedding date Smiley smile

thanks!

9 replies

Latest activity by Faruk, 28 of December of 2021 at 18:20
  • snow bride
    Beginner June 2016
    snow bride ·
    • Hide content

Firstly, congratulations! I'm assuming this is your first?

Its a toss up! Partly it may be a good time as both of mine napped well and anywhere at that age (very handy) and we're happy to be cuddled by anyone (for passing onto family during ceremony / meal etc). There's the down side of baby probably won't be sleeping through so you'll have night feeds etc to combat with.

The biggest issue will be your dress, you will have no idea what size you'll be. I put on 4 stone with my first, but not a lb with my second! That could mean very last minute alterations, but I'm sure you could plan for this with a good seamstress :-) you'll also need to think about potential breastfeeding (if you plan to feed yourself).

Its also worth thinking that if you do postpone you'll have a wedding with a toddler. In my opinion toddlers are MUCH harder work. Lol. I'll be getting married with a 2 and 3 year old, it's going to be.... Fun... Lol.

At the end of the day it's whatever you feel most comfortable doing. Personally I think the idea of getting married with a little un is super cute. The first 2-3 months after my eldest was born I was so loved up with OH :-) Bringing that little guy into the world together made us so much closer and a wedding would have been super special!

• CBeckford
    Rockstar July 2015
    CBeckford ·
    • Hide content

Firstly Congratulations!!

Me and my OH had the exact same convo, and I'll be 23 weeks pregnant when we get married in a few weeks. Not exactly the same situation but I can understand you think it might be good to postpone.

We decided to go ahead as we have guests travelling to the UK and had paid out quite a lot in deposits by the time we found out in February, and that included my dress that I ordered back in September! I must admit I did have a bit of a freak-out where the dress was concerned but now I think it will make the day even more special as our little lentil will be there too (sort of).

Personally I don't think its mad at all. Best of luck with whatever you decide.

x

• Nims
    Beginner July 2015
    Nims ·
    • Hide content

I saw go for it! A gorgeous friend of mine got married with a 6 week old baby- she has STUNNING photos of her breastfeeding her baby in her wedding dress! Incredible. And she had a fantastic set of knockers for the photos ?

Spend your pregnancy getting organised- I mean military precision style. Plan to have everything completed 4 weeks before the baby is born (they come early sometimes, mine did!) so that when baby arrives you don't have to think about the wedding at all- pretty much just turn up and enjoy it. By the time mine were 6 weeks old I was in a routine, felt back to normal and had lots of new baby adrenaline.

Congratulations by the way- I wish you a happy and healthy pregnancy.

• M
    Beginner May 2016
    mkw ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations!!!

I've not had children so I don't know about the practicalities from that point of view, but just to look at it from a slightly different angle, going ahead with the wedding when you have will give all those guests coming from abroad the chance to meet your baby and congratulate you in person! I have quite a lot of friends and family abroad, and sometimes so much time goes past between a big event and seeing people that you almost forget it's happened at all. This way you'll be able to show baby off to all your family and friends at the same time!

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

Many Congratulations! I don't have children so am probably not the best person to give you advice, but i think you should stick with it. It would be lovely for your friends to meet the baby.

• Daisy Bell
    Beginner August 2015
    Daisy Bell ·
    • Hide content

Congrats on your pregnancy!

I am childless so far but I would stick with it also bearing in mind the money you have already spent and guests travelling from abroad have already spent.

I would maybe plan the day to be a bit shorter, maybe make sure you have a babysitter on standby (to take the baby to a quiet room). Also think about breastfeeding / pumping if that's what you're planning to do and how your dress will accommodate it.

Re. the dress, if you already have one maybe keep it in case you can wear it but have a backup solution available.

• AnnaMolly
    Beginner October 2015
    AnnaMolly ·
    • Hide content

I would stick with your original date if it was me. At that age babies are quite flexible. It's when they get older they get more difficult in my experience. Definitely avoid the toddler stage if you can, they're a nightmare (I'm getting married with my two, it's going to be hard work!).

Have you got a dress yet? Obviously if your breast feeding that would probably be the only tricky thing, I don't think corsets necessarily lend themselves to that!

Oh and congratulations!

• snow bride
    Beginner June 2016
    snow bride ·
    • Hide content

Anna, how old will yours be? I'll have a nearly 2 year old and a 3 1/2 year old when I get married.

Can't say I'm looking forward to that bit, lol

• C
    Beginner
    Cece100 ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations on both your baby and the upcoming wedding.

I agree with the others really, especially Snow brides original post.

IMO I would keep with the original date for the wedding especially as people have booked flights and you may have paid deposits on things.

It would be lovely for your friends and family to meet your little one and you could even incorporate a christening into the day if you want your child baptised and it would be super special with all your friends and family present from all over the country and the world.

You also say it yourself, that you don't think you will get round to it once you have children and if marriage is important to you (obviously it is or you wouldn't be planning one! haha) I would definitely stick with the date.

Best of luck

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics