Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

MissHtobeMrsP
Beginner August 2015

Newly engaged - bank holiday wedding a bad idea?

MissHtobeMrsP, 4 of June of 2014 at 15:44 Posted on Planning 0 14

Hello Hitched,

I'm newly engaged and am just trying to set a date now. We know the church we want to get married in, but are now toying either either the Saturday of August Bank Hol (2015) or the following Saturday.

Does anyone have any advice to sway me either way? We like the idea of people getting three days off so our wedding doesn't take over their entire weekend, but equally worry it might be more expensive then because it's so popular - suppliers etc.

We're having the reception in either my parents or his parents' garden, so booking the venue itself isn't a problem.

Thanks so much!

14 replies

Latest activity by irrelephant, 6 of June of 2014 at 21:41
  • pink & glitz
    Beginner August 2014
    pink & glitz ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations! I would say that date is okay, if I was a guest and got enough notice I wouldn't see it as a problem x

• DrBuffles
    Beginner August 2014
    DrBuffles ·
    • Hide content

Hi and welcome to hitched.

I'm getting married this august on BH saturday. Suppliers haven't been any more expensive and I wouldn't say they were booked up any further in advance than normal. Everything in wedding world books up early though so don't hang around once you know your date.

The only price differences we found with BH's is that most places (venues anyway) charged Saturday rates for a Sunday wedding but if you are wanting the Sat it makes no difference to you anyway.

Everyone is having to travel for ours and if anything I would say we have had a better attendance in that most people have said to me that they are making a mini break out of it. We gave everyone lots of notice because of booking accom, thats the only thing I would say because if you are choosing a nice place for a long weekend anyway hotels etc will get booked up faster than a normal saturday.

• cymruangel
    Beginner December 2014
    cymruangel ·
    • Hide content

Congrats and welcome!

I'd agree with everything DrBuffles said (apart from I'm getting married at a different time of year!) in that I think you could definitely work it to your advantage, as people don't necessarily have to give up a "whole" weekend, and vice versa they might actually want to!

I'd agree that it might prove a popular date though, so you might want to get photographer and any other things that are particularly important to you booked in as soon as you've confirmed venue(s) to make sure they have your day in their diaries.

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content

We booked our venue in January and wanted the bank holiday Sunday next year but the whole weekend was already booked up, you might find that suppliers are getting booked up for those dates but they shouldn't be anymore expensive.

• MrsB88
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsB88 ·
    • Hide content

We booked our venue in janurary. We wanted the august bank holiday weekend in 2015 like you but the friday, saturday, sunday & monday were all booked up!! So we settled with the thursday. Big things like venues and photographers get booked up very early so i would book asap x

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

I got married on an August bank holiday saturday. Even though I sent out the invites in Feb my Auntie's family had already booked their holiday so couldn't attend.

Also, it was the hottest day of the year and I could hardly stand up for the heat!

Now I'm a wedding photographer and although it's a popular date I don't think suppliers charge extra for it.

• MartinC Photography
    MartinC Photography ·
    • Hide content

I agree, most suppliers won't charge extra but it will be a peak date so I wouldn't expect discounts either. A lot of the good suppliers will be getting booked up next August already so it may be worth making a decision sooner rather than later.

• bex_boo
    Beginner August 2014
    bex_boo ·
    • Hide content

I am getting married this August bank holiday Sunday, and I've not had a problem with guests attending at all.

People have expressed how pleased they are they can do their own thing on the Saturday, come to a fab party on the Sunday and have Monday to recover. A pretty nice bank holiday weekend, seems to be the consenus.

The only people who can't come is someone from abroad, who it's too expensive for them to travel - which would have been the case at any time of the year really, and someone who has a paren't birthday celebration that weekend. Everyone else has said yes to coming.

I have had no problems with suppliers. Generally, people who supply weddings are happy to work any day of the week - and let's face it, they seem to charge a premium for any wedding, so it doesn't really make a difference what day it is for the majority of suppliers. Our venue was slightly cheaper, the registrar was a tiny bit more expensive. Flowers was the same cost, photographer was the same cost, DJ was the same cost, cake was the same cost.

• H
    Beginner July 2016
    HeavyMetalMaiden ·
    • Hide content

I think a bank holiday is a great idea, like the others said it shouldnt cost anymore, just the same as a peak day. And it gives guests that extra day to travel :-)

• L
    Beginner August 2014
    LRsoontobeLH ·
    • Hide content

We are getting married on the August bank holiday Saturday this year. It hasn't been any more expensive than any other Saturday but as others have said just give people plenty of notice and get your suppliers booked in early as it will fill up!

If you were considering having the wedding on the Sunday just bear in mind that if you have any Scottish guests it will not be a bank holiday for them!

• emabee
    Beginner August 2014
    emabee ·
    • Hide content

I'm getting married August bank holiday Monday this year. I had no problems with anything whatsoever and everyone I invited during the day has accepted, most have booked the following day off work and are staying in a hotel with us. I made sure I gave plenty of noitce, invitations went out in January x

• Cupcake26
    Beginner August 2015
    Cupcake26 ·
    • Hide content

Hi! Congratuallations on your engagement! We get married August bank holiday next year, on the Saturday. We have had no increase in price from any of our supppliers because of this date, but like many others have said, we have booked a lot of stuff early as this is a very popular weekend to get married!

All our friends and family are chuffed that it's a bank hol as they have an extra day to chill out after the wedding, especially those that are travelling a fair way back on the Sunday. I think it gives a much more relaxed vibe for them Smiley smile

xXx

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

For me next year that weekend is already fully booked and was first booked in March. This years was booked last May

• MissHtobeMrsP
    Beginner August 2015
    MissHtobeMrsP ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your advice everyone. I've contacted a lot of suppliers and most seem free, which is great. We just need to see the vicar at the church to get the date booked. Ahhh!

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

We got married august bank holiday saturday which was perfect as it meant people could travel friday night after work/early saturday morning and make their way back on sunday or monday, whatever took their fancy. It was great at the time. No more expensive than any other weekend.

My biggest issue with it now though is I work a job where i have to work bank holidays. My first and second wedding anniversaries will have been spent at work away from my husband which sucks big time. So as long as you dont have to work bank holidays you're fine!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics