Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner

Next question...jam jar favours!

claiireee, 18 January, 2012 at 22:31 Posted on Planning 0 11

Hi,

I've had an eBay wedding night and my latest idea is to fill jam jars with sweets and cover with material, then stick a label on with the guests name so they act as favours and place names. We were originally going to have pick 'n' mix bags, but I think the jam jars fit more with the feel of the wedding.

My question is, has anyone done similar and can you advise what size jar to use? They're really reasonably priced, but I don't know which to buy! We don't want mini mini, or we won't be able to fit many sweets in, but we don't want as big as you'd get with a proper jam jar. If that makes sense?!

x

11 replies

Latest activity by claiireee, 20 January, 2012 at 18:12
  • Missus S
    Missus S ·
    • Hide content

Just an idea but I toyed with jam jars and I found buying shop brand jams/marmalades etc and either using the contents or binning then sterilising worked out super cheap, as little as 15p a jar. Worth doing if you are putting your own pretty lid/fabric on a plain jar

• B
    Beginner July 2014
    Bronte ·
    • Hide content

Tesco lemon curd and jam comes in plain jars with plain white lids -its under 20p a jar and is often on 3 for 2. If they seem a little big, a couple of flying saucers would fill a big gap in the jar ?

• S
    Beginner April 2012
    shellsworth ·
    • Hide content

We are having jam jars filled with mini eggs ( easter wedding) dotted all over the venue - we just asked friends and family to collect jars for us - got a room full now so need to go through - but will save you some money Smiley smile

• lurvlytwink
    Beginner June 2012
    lurvlytwink ·
    • Hide content

When i make jam (i know its slightly different but when i make a lot i need a lot of jars) i just use shop jars that i've used. i never throw jars away. like Bronte said value jams etc are chips as anything. you'd be paying more for "preserving jars"

also depending on your neghbours...you could knock on on recyling day & ask if you could just have a rummage in their glass box for any jars. might be deemed as scrounging....but needs must when you're on a budget! Smiley smile x

• lisaloulou
    Beginner
    lisaloulou ·
    • Hide content

My friend had these and I thought they were great. She used the size of the mini jams etc you'd get in a cafe and I'd say they were a good size.

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

Thank you thank you for making this thread! I was having the same problem, and I was preparing to shell out way too much for jars to make miniature cookie mixes as favours, but it's so much more economical to buy tesco value brand things, and with so much time before my wedding, I'll probably be able to use some of the product inside the jars, too!

Oh, but I'm using Cath Kidston kits for the labels and close lids. I just couldn't pass up how easy and cute they were. And packs are of 20, so they're not too expensive.

• gemchoo
    Beginner May 2012
    gemchoo ·
    • Hide content

I've bought these...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/X-72-8oz-HEX-GLASS-JAM-PRESERVE-CHUTNEY-PICKLES-JAR-/260854509436?pt=UK_HomeGarden_Kitchen_FoodStorage_GL&hash=item3cbc23ef7c

they're about 8am tall i think so not tiny but deffo not too big either!

• Gabbance
    Beginner February 2012
    Gabbance ·
    • Hide content

We have done home made jam and I bought these jars from eBay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/X-74-55ml-HEX-GLASS-JAM-WEDDING-FAVOURS-JAR-/270890447213?pt=UK_HomeGarden_Kitchen_FoodStorage_GL&hash=item3f1254316d

They are a really nice size for mini jars of Jam, although might be a bit small for sweets, although the seller does loads of different sizes. I thought they were a good price, I prefered the size to the tiny ones like you get in hotels, and they came really quickly with no breakages!

• Big Apple
    Beginner February 2013
    Big Apple ·
    • Hide content

My friend asked her local cafe to keep hold of the used pots for her and called in every week or so to collect them so they were free!

• K
    keely12 ·
    • Hide content

I never throw jars away. like Bronte said value jams etc are chips as anything. you'd be paying more for "preserving jars"

• Flamin Nora
    Beginner August 2013
    Flamin Nora ·
    • Hide content

They arent jam jars as such but we're doing the same as you want to do and have bought these -

They are Ikea spice jars.

• C
    Beginner
    claiireee ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I'll take a trip to Tescos at the weekend to see what's on offer. I'm really looking forward to making these! Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics