Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

SophieM

"Nibbles" (god I hate that word!) ideas please

SophieM, 10 of April of 2008 at 15:00 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 22

Help me feed my foodie friends!

I need ot decide on a starter for dinner on Saturday. Main course and pudding will both be quite substantial so I thought I'd do a light picky starter - nice olives and some wierd cheesy pastry things I got from a lovely Brazilian man at the farmers market. Was going to do the Union Square Cafe bar nuts as well, but I'm open to suggestions - any ideas?

22 replies

Latest activity by Clare _ M, 10 of April of 2008 at 15:54
  • Petal
    Petal ·
    • Hide content

Cheese and pineapple on sticks ? I love kitsch 'nibbles'?

• NickJ
    Beginner
    NickJ ·
    • Hide content

Look in richard bertinet - there are some fantastic things.

also, one i do sometimes is really narrow strips of puff pastry with half an anchovy fillet on it (sliced lengthways) and then baked. gorgeous with a gin and tonic. i make them about 3 inches long.

• Treacle tart
    Beginner January 2006
    Treacle tart ·
    • Hide content

I love sun dried tomatoes and roasted pepper strips all marinaded in Garlic and olive oil to eat with cheese and olives but then I think that may be too much as your main is quite substantial.

• Knownowt
    Knownowt ·
    • Hide content

Maybe something with sweetness to it (eg involving roasted peppers or tomatoes, or something foie gras-ish)- the other things you have sound quite salty (olives, cheese, nuts) so a contrast would be good.

• geekypants
    Beginner August 2008
    geekypants ·
    • Hide content

I sometimes do wee bits of puff pastry with a mixture of roasted red onion, peppers and cherry/sun dried tomatoes on. Top with a basil leaf.

The other one is decent prawns with something nice to dip them into. Yum yum.

• B
    Beginner February 2008
    Boop ·
    • Hide content

quote:Originally posted by NickJ
    look in richard bertinet - there are some fantastic things.

also, one i do sometimes is really narrow strips of puff pastry with half an anchovy fillet on it (sliced lengthways) and then baked. gorgeous with a gin and tonic. i make them about 3 inches long.
    id="quote">

That sounds lush ?
  • Taz
    Beginner December 2007
    Taz ·
    • Hide content

I suspect it'll be regarded as a bit dull but I usually make tsatsiki, hummous and serve with pitta, red pepper strips, sugar snap peas etc then as you say olives and so on. How about bruchetta or crostini with varied toppings?

God I'm so provincial.

• Petal
    Petal ·
    • Hide content

Did anyone see Spendaholics the other night - they took the girl for a lesson in 'nibble making' so that she could have her friends over and be thrifty at the same time. They made mini jacket potatoes with 'caviar' (wasn't the real stuff) on top and fritatas....looked yummy to me.

• SophieM
    SophieM ·
    • Hide content

quote:Originally posted by Boop

id="quote">

That sounds lush ?
    id="quote">

? Decision made.

Thanks everyone.
  • Clare _ M
    Beginner July 2007
    Clare _ M ·
    • Hide content

quote:Originally posted by Taz
    I suspect it'll be regarded as a bit dull but I usually make tsatsiki, hummous and serve with pitta, red pepper strips, sugar snap peas etc then as you say olives and so on. How about bruchetta or crostini with varied toppings?

God I'm so provincial.
    id="quote">

Do you make your own tsatsiki? H refuses to believe a decent one is possible outside of Greece.
  • Zebra
    Beginner
    Zebra ·
    • Hide content

id="quote">

When you say anchovy fillet, do you mean the big deli tapas type or the little jarred type you get in olive oil?

God, I love anchovies.

SophieM - sounds divine just as you describe.?
  • Mal
    Expert January 2018
    Mal ·
    • Hide content

id="quote">

NickJ, I can just picture you in a smoking jacket with one of those in one hand, a brandy in the other, sitting in a large chair by an open fire. ?

• SophieM
    SophieM ·
    • Hide content

Anything with caviar is lovely imo, aand quails eggs are also divine only such a hassle to peel.

I wanted something that would be the same "style" of thing as the olives and cheese things (ie served in a bowl, eaten in one bite) so things with dips and bruschetta wwouldn't really work.

• P
    poochanna ·
    • Hide content

To give a bit of sweet, what about Manchego with Quince, or is that then too much cheese?

I have a great canapes book somewhere, I'll see if I can find anything fabulous in it.

• Zebra
    Beginner
    Zebra ·
    • Hide content

quote:Originally posted by SophieM
    Anything with caviar is lovely imo, aand quails eggs are also divine only such a hassle to peel.

I wanted something that would be the same "style" of thing as the olives and cheese things (ie served in a bowl, eaten in one bite) so things with dips and bruschetta wwouldn't really work.
    id="quote">

I'm sure you can jars of peeled, hard boiled quails' eggs that would just need draining.?

Now, would that be cheating a la Nigella (and sort of acceptable) or a la Delia and just beyond the pale?

• Flump
    Expert January 2012
    Flump ·
    • Hide content

My fave nibbley thing to make is a jar of Peppadew peppers from Waitrose (sweet flavour, rather than hot), and fill them with garlic & herb cream cheese. Deeeelish!

Also, Waitrose's green olives (from the olive bar, not in jars) stuffed with anchovy are to diiiiie for.

I'm huuuuungry?

• SophieM
    SophieM ·
    • Hide content

Ooooh, more fabulous ideas. Maybe I should make four things ?

Peppadews rock, and I'm sure cheaty quals eggs are acceptable ?

• NickJ
    Beginner
    NickJ ·
    • Hide content

Yes, anchovies from a tin/jar, not fresh ones

YESS! &lt?unches air> I wiin agaain <robin gibb>

• Sparkley
    Beginner September 2007
    Sparkley ·
    • Hide content

yes, anchovies from a tin/jar, not fresh ones

id="quote">

Waaaaaaaaaah! Closet Bee Gee's fab ?
  • Zebra
    Beginner
    Zebra ·
    • Hide content

yes, anchovies from a tin/jar, not fresh ones

id="quote">

?

And I'm utterly bemused by anyone wanting to associate themselves with someone who looks like a scrawny turkey on a bad day

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Gibb

?

If you're ever in Cheltenham, let me know, I want to see how your neck compares?
  • Taz
    Beginner December 2007
    Taz ·
    • Hide content

quote:Originally posted by Clare _ M

Do you make your own tsatsiki? H refuses to believe a decent one is possible outside of Greece.
    id="quote">

Yup.

Peel and grate cucumber. Put into colander placed above a bowl, sprinkle with salt and leave for 30 mins or so. Wash and drain thoroughly.

Mix together greek yogurt, a couple of fat grated garlic gloves, cucumber, salt, a touch of wine vinegar and good EVOO and put into the fridge for a good few hours to let the flavour develop. It's best to leave it for at least 6 hours. I also occasionally add either chopped mint or dill.
  • Clare _ M
    Beginner July 2007
    Clare _ M ·
    • Hide content

quote:Originally posted by Taz
    quote:Originally posted by Clare _ M

id="quote">

Yup.

Peel and grate cucumber. Put into colander placed above a bowl, sprinkle with salt and leave for 30 mins or so. Wash and drain thoroughly.

Mix together greek yogurt, a couple of fat grated garlic gloves, cucumber, salt, a touch of wine vinegar and good EVOO and put into the fridge for a good few hours to let the flavour develop. It's best to leave it for at least 6 hours. I also occasionally add either chopped mint or dill.
    id="quote">

Thanks, I think I'll make it as a surprise while he's away the weekend (it also gives it a chance to actually sit in the fridge for 6 hours). ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics