Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Rizzo
Beginner July 2011

Nieces and Nephews

Rizzo, 21 March, 2012 at 16:21 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 31

Do you consider your OH's nieces and nephews to be yours as well? Do you feel the same for them as you do your sibling's children?

My friend has nieces and nephew through marriage but she doesn't consider them to be her own n&n. When talking about them she calls them her OH's niece or nephew. I always call my nephews 'my nephews' and it makes no difference to me that we are not blood related. Another friend has said that when my brother has children, I will naturally feel more for them than I do my nephews, but I don't think that I will.

31 replies

Latest activity by DaffyB, 25 March, 2012 at 13:43
  • Vee Tee
    Beginner April 2012
    Vee Tee ·
    • Hide content

Well I have no nieces or nephews on my side yet to compare, but I do have 2 gorgeous little nieces from OH's brother, who I adore, and I have always called myself their Auntie Vicki despite the fact we're not yet married.

However, I've always had the feeling that SIL doesn't see me as their Auntie.

Also they stay far away, so I don't know if that affects it but my sis is also moving away so any kids from her will be just as distant.

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

Before i met Mr F i had 6nephews and 4 nieces, 3 great nieces and 1 great nephew!!! although hes close to a couple, theyr 'older' at 14 and 17 so hadnt really considered them proper nephews.

Now that the latest one has arrived he has said to me he now sees himself as a proper uncle to Oliver as wel be married and he will grow up knowing him as uncle S..it made me a bit ? hearing him say that!!

he has none as theres only him and his younegr sister!

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

Neither OH or I have any yet but yes we would be aunty and uncle to each others.

I think it's different if the kids are a bit older when you get together though. My uncle got married when I was 20 and I don't really consider his wife to be my aunty.

• Rod
    Beginner
    Rod ·
    • Hide content

Yes I do consider them mine too. I wouldnt call my Uncle and Aunt 'my uncle and his wife' and wouldnt expect my aunt to call me her husbands niece.

I have one niece on my side but i've never met her as i only fouind out she existed 6 months ago, my nephew (H's brother's son) is 10 months and my new niece (his other brother's daughter) is 3 days (meeting her tonight yay!) so I will be in their lives as long as they can remember, I am their aunt and they are my niece and nephew. End of.

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

At the beginning no, but now I feel like they're my nieces, although my sister doesn't have any kids yet, so I have no basis for comparison.

OH's brother had Baby No 1 when we'd been together around 3 years. By that time, one of his other brothers was married. For no logical reason, I thought that other brother's wife would be the baby's "real" auntie, but I wouldn't. I sometimes described them as "OH's nieces" so as not to confuse them with being my sister's children.

Baby No 1 is now 2 1/2 and calls us H & N, although her mother calls us "Uncle H and Auntie N" in front of her. The name itself makes no difference. When my sister has kids, they'll live over an hour away from us, whereas OH's brothers are all local, so in a sense, I might even be closer to OH's nephews/nieces than my own.

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

Oh good grief no. They are definitely HIS!

Edited to say they were almost all teenagers when we got together. The one who was a baby calls him "uncle A" and me just "S", so clearly they see a difference too.

I nearly made the one is his 20's call me "Aunt S" just for the hell of it as he has been very disrespectful of me in the past!

• 1234ABC
    Beginner
    1234ABC ·
    • Hide content

I have 2 nieces on my side and H has a niece and a nephew on his side, but we both consider oursevles their aunts and uncles on either side. my nieces refer to H as 'Uncle' and i consider myself an Auntie to the 2 on his side. I'm godmummy to one of them.

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

Neither of us has any, so I don't know.

Almost all my aunties/uncles were married/partnered by the time I was born, or at least before I remember. So I make no distinction between the blood relations and the ones who married in. Except for my mum's brother's wife - I call her Aunty, but I was older when she came on the scene and my relationship with my uncle went from being very close to barely seeing each other. No judgement on that now (she is his wife and the mother of his child after all) and we get on well enough, but to a child, as I was, it did feel like she stole him and rightly or wrongly she feels less of an Aunty to me.

I'm closer to H's sister than to his brother, so I do wonder in an abstract way what I will feel when/if they both produce children.

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content

OH has (I've been with H for 14 years so have known the kids since tiny/birth)

Nephew 1 - age 16

Nephew 2 - age 15

Nephew 3 - age 13

Neice - - age 6

Nephew 4 - age 4

I am sad to say I dont love them like I love my nephew (my sister's son age 5). I dont know why and I dont like it when they call me Auntie. The only one I do have stronger feelings for is my husband's neice as I see her all the time, went to see her in hospital when she was born and because she's a girl. I like girls more than boys.

• Canary
    Beginner August 2013
    Canary ·
    • Hide content

We don't have any yet, and don't expect to for a while yet but when it does happen, I fully expect them to be both of our neices/nephews. I guess this would stem from a) I always called my aunt's husband 'uncle' so it's normal for me (Not sure about OH, he only has 1 proper aunt who's divorced) and b) we are very close to our siblings, so I already see SIL as an extra sister and I think it's probably the same for OH and my 6 siblings! So I think it would be natural for us to be Aunty S and Uncle M to both sides of nieces/nephews.

• raincloud
    Beginner August 2011
    raincloud ·
    • Hide content

I don't have neices or newphews on my side but my H has some. When we first got together I didn't really feel much for them and I wasn't called auntie or anything. Now though I think they are great and make sure I give them lots of hugs and things and speak to them about what they are doing. They refer to me as auntie sometimes, but not always, but they are like that with H and their other uncles and aunts. I'd love to have more involvement with them like write to them and stuff like my aunt and uncle did with me but I'm not sure how SILs will take it.

• sapphire_22
    Beginner September 2011
    sapphire_22 ·
    • Hide content

We don't have any yet and since my BIL is gay and living in a country where gay couples can't adopt, it looks unlikely that we will have any nieces or nephews through him. My brother and his girlfriend are thinking of TTC at some point this year and I'm already really excited but I don't know whether H would see the baby as his niece or nephew. Saying that, he loves my cousin's two daughters (aged 2 1/2) and will spend hours playing with them/trying to make them laugh etc, so I'm really not sure how he's going to be with my brother's future chidren.

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

We have two nieces and I love them to bits, even though they're SIL2B's. We'd been together for a few months when niece A was born, so she's known me all her life. Niece B is 2 and she's my Goddaughter. I would do anything for them.

Saying that, I would treat any children that my best friend has in the future as nieces/nephews too.

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

I don't have any nieces or nephews who are blood related to me.

My brothers LO is his stepdaughter - she sometimes calls me Auntie, sometimes doesn't but she'll always be my niece regardless. H's niece and nephew belong to H's sisters (biologically half sister) and always call me Auntie, and I adore them, but not on the same level as my niece - I think it's because i've never had time alone with them to really bond without their parents/grandparents.

I do have a god-daughter who is my cousins LO, and she is blood related - and I love her as I do my brothers LO.

• Mrs Whippy
    Beginner September 2012
    Mrs Whippy ·
    • Hide content

We've got 2 nephews - I am ridiculously close to them (as they are my twin sister's and I was there for both births) and we are both head over heels in love with them ? Mr B is Godfather to both of them.
    He has none on his side, but had nieces and nephews from another marriage who he no longer sees.
    He adores our boys, and definitely sees them as 'his', but when they come and visit, he leaves the discipline up to me. And the 6:30 am start when they stayed last weekend ?

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content

I have a niece and nephew who im pretty close too, (esp my niece) I was 12 then 15 when they were born.

H has a couple of nieces about the same age i have only met once, a niece who is older than me and a nephew i have never met.

His 2 nephews who ive met a few times, one is a year younger than me and the other 4 years younger so its hard to think of them as nephews!

I think H would agree that even he isnt close to his nieces and nephews and hasnt seen a couple of them in years!

I have a brand spanking new nephew due in May and I think it will be interesting to see mine and H's relationship with him as we will both know him from birth and will be know to him as Auntie and Uncle from day one.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Hmmm, Boy has a niece who was 10 or so when we got together. She never refers to him as Uncle Boy so I didn't think for one minute she'd call me Aunty Footlong. I don't really feel like an Aunty to her, more like a mate, but I also don't have any blood nieces or nephews to compare any feelings with. I feel more Aunty-like to my friends' children, particularly our guide-daughter.

What would you call a blood nephew's wife?

And what happens with divorce? I had an Uncle S who divorced my (blood) Aunty M. I wouldn't now consider him an Uncle, even though he was there for my childhood and I used to call him Uncle S. I wonder if he still thinks of me as his niece?

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

Mrminis brother has never had a girlfriend/boyfriend,we think he is asexual. He wouldn't consider my nieces and nephews as his,he has only met one set once and my nephew that lives near us is a little monster.

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

When I was working over the summer, it was with... let me get this right... H's blood uncle's wife. I call her Auntie J and she introduced me to people as her niece, no qualification. When I applied for the permanent role going there, the application form asked you to reveal any relations and since we now have the same surname I thought I'd better, but "my husband's uncle's wife" sounds stupid so I just put "aunt by marriage" even though it's technically 'by marriage' twice since I'm married to her husband's family. So in answer to your question I'd probably go with "niece" for blood nephew's wife, unless she didn't like it.

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

I class my OH nephews and nieces as mine too. My niece from my 1st marriage (ex husbands, brothers daughter) sang at mine and Mr LS's wedding ceremony. I watched them all grow up and my feelings for them will always be there.

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

We don't have any neices or nephews.

However, my Auntie (married to my mum's brother) is definitely my Auntie. Even thought I am officially my uncle's neice, and only hers through marriage, she has been my auntie since I was a twinkle in my mum's eye .

I think any neice's or nephews of the future on OH's side will feel like mine too, but probably because I was already in the place of 'auntie' from the word go.

• jen_84
    Beginner August 2012
    jen_84 ·
    • Hide content

I class my OHs nephews as my nephews too and they call me Auntie Jen. However, I feel I am closer to my brothers daughter but I think this is partly because I am able to spend more time with her and she sometimes comes and stays overnight which the boys don't and also because she is a girl. I can talk to her about doll and watch Mary Poppins with her whereas I have no idea about Deadly 60 which the oldest nephew wants to talk about and they are a bit rough and tumble for me to cope with!

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content

I have one of each. Nephew is 2 and adores OH (OH secretly adores him too) and Neice who is 10months. OH and I were together when they were both born and as I was my sister's birthing partner I have a special bond with both kids. There's a standing joke in our family that OH is nephew's father as they are so alike in their personality and mannerisms. He calls them his neice and nephew.

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content

I have 3 nieces anda nephew all my side, H's brother has yet to have a baby but when the time comes then I'll definitely be Aunty Claire, there is no way I could possibly love them more than my sisters and brothers kids though. No where near in fact. Is that horrid.

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Well if you are then so am I.

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Is dislike all children apart from those related to me... ?

• Kylie541
    Beginner February 2013
    Kylie541 ·
    • Hide content

My OH's nephew is definitely my nephew. I love him to pieces and he's going to make the cutest pageboy!

• Lucky Charm
    Beginner July 2007
    Lucky Charm ·
    • Hide content

My H has a nephew the same age as me, it is always fun introducing him as 'my' nephew ?

• L
    Beginner April 2013
    laura9889 ·
    • Hide content

I have 2 nieces by my sister and oh has a niece from His brother! I only really think of my sisters two as my nieces it's probably wrong but we don't see the oh niece much and there quite controlling and quite odd ! I always feel really awkward when mil is like go to Aunty Laura !

• Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content

I have 3 nieces and 2 nephews and H has one niece. Mine are all older (11-17) and H's is 5. I dont think of her the same as I do my own and neither does he. His niece doesnt call me auntie either, its uncle b and j. Maybe if his sister had another one now we are married it would be different but as she was here before we met, and mine were all quite grown up when we met it would have felt strange. I do love his niece and always pick bits up for her when I am out shopping etc but I definitely feel much stronger love for my own nieces and nephews who I have known and loved and been extremely close to all my life. Plus, they come from my sister and brother!

• DaffyB
    Beginner June 2012
    DaffyB ·
    • Hide content

OH has a neice and a nephew who were both born since we've been together. I think I love them as much as OH does, in fact when we go to visit them I'm usually the one who ends up playing with them most of the time as OH doesn't really know what to do with kids. They are also going to be my flower girl and page boy. I don't have any neices or nephews yet. I'm not that close with my brother and don't see him that often, so if he had kids I can't imagine that I would love them any more than I do OH's. But I'm really close with my sister so if she had kids I imagine they would be more special to me.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics