Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner July 2014

Nightmare bridesmaid

Sophkc, 7 of April of 2014 at 13:31 Posted on Planning 0 21

My bridesmaid was a friend of myself and my fiancee, and was there from the start of our relationship, so I thought it right that she be a bridesmaid. She was so excited for us when we got engaged.

However, since then, there have been so many problems, and I am getting unbelievably stressed.

Firstly, her dress.

I contacted her about going shopping, and contacted 3 shops. I didn't hear back from her. I made appointments for a few weeks away - as I knew how long dresses could take to arrive, told her, and asked her to let me know if they are not suitable, and when I could change them (thinking this might help speed her up a bit). I also said that I'd like her to see the dress I'd found, and one of these shops had it in stock. The appointments came (I had to cancel the other 2, and took a different friend with me to try my dress on) and I then heard back from her a week later, saying that none of the dates were suitable.

A month or so later, I arranged another trip to see her (2 hours away). We went shopping for dresses for her - and found a couple we both liked. We spent a couple of days discussing it, and decided on one. I told her to go in to get measured whenever she is free, and I'll call to give my payment details. 2 months later, she hadn't been in. I called the shop to find out how long they take to come in, and I was told we had until the end of that month to get it in time for my wedding - leaving time for any alterations which might be needed. I told her this, but didn't hear back. Over a month later (2 weeks after deadline) she text me saying she was thinking about going in that week ... so I told her again, that it was now too late (even if it did arrive in time, we would only have a couple of days for alterations - also, arrival dates are rough dates, it could be 2 weeks either side of this date).

I mentioned at this point that if she didn't want to be a bridesmaid, or didn't have the time then there would be no bad feelings, and she would still be invited as a guest. She said she did still want to be, so I left it there, hoping she would then stay in contact a bit more.

So I spent hours online, searching for another dress which didn't take months to arrive. I couldn't find one in that colour, so spoke to her about changing the colour back to my very original suggestion (the colour I liked about a year before planning started) - she said yes, so I found a dress, showed it to her, and she liked it. So I asked for her size (I knew she had lost weight recently, so didn't want to guess). 2 weeks later, she told me the size she 'thought' she was, but would confirm later on. Another week or so, and I messaged her saying I really wanted to get this ordered ... is it that size or not. When she replied, I ordered it (along with one for a second bridesmaid, who I had asked because I was doubting if this bridesmaid would be available for contact nearer the wedding). I told this bridesmaid I'd ordered it, and to let me know her address to send it to her once it arrives. When it did arrive, I asked for her address again. And a couple of weeks later I asked for a third time - finally with a reply. I sent it as soon as I could. I asked her to let me know how it was.

2 weeks later (this is now after the returns policy) she told me it was too big, and she didn't like it. But it was also now out of stock. I told her that I didn't know what to do - she had agreed before ordering it. She then sent me links to other dresses online, in a different colour, different style and different material. (she already knew there was another bridesmaid, and that by this point I had ordered chair covers, flowers, decorations all in this new colour). I spoke to by h2b about it, and we agreed that we didn't want to change everything for her. I also asked her again at this point if she still wanted to be a bridesmaid. I was sent a rather nasty message back, making me feel guilty. She said she didn't like the way I was making her out to be, she thinks it an honour to be asked and wants to do it.

I told her again that therefore I am completely stuck, because it is out of stock in that size, the other bridesmaid is happy (dress fits fine), and everything else is ordered to match. She then said that she didn't realise everything else matched (she had been told), and that therefore she was happy with the dress, just needed a smaller size. A week later, the dress actually came back into stock so I ordered it in a smaller size (now I've paid for 2 dresses for her). I told her, and told her once it had arrived. I arranged to travel down to meet her, to give her the dress and get the other one back (I would try to return it, see if they'd be nice enough to offer a refund anyway). I asked her to try it on asap to let me know, 2 weeks later, I still have heard nothing! (I know she has been on facebook etc a lot, so really don't know why).

At the same time as all this - she began having ideas for my hen night, but when I asked questions about how appropriate it would be (with my mum and MIL) I didn't get a reply. I am in the middle of a very busy postgrad course, and wanted everything sorted before placement (which she knew) so when I still hadn't heard anything, I decided to look into it myself. I tried to keep her in the loop at all stages but often with no reply - so I just went ahead and organised it all myself. When I told her, I gave her the restaurant options, telling her my favourite one (an italian - where they do pizza, pasta, salad, burgers, steak etc - so lots of different choice) and she replied saying she didn't like my choice (didn't like italian at all) and opted for the spanish (where surely it would be harder for all guests to find something they like).

When I was looking at hair / make up & trials, I offered to pay for these both for her as well, and suggested it be before the hen, so we look nice that evening. She then said she didn't want her appointment too early, so she wouldn't be too tired that evening!

I don't feel I have been a bridezilla - I haven't asked her to do anything! (I've done all invitations - both wedding and hen, table plans, decorations, music etc, all myself).

We've paid for 2 dresses for her, I'm paying for her hair & make up (plus trials), and we're paying for a hotel room for her for 2 nights at the venue. And I feel I am getting nothing in return! It is now less than 3 months until the wedding and I am super stressed!

I have thought about just telling her that I know she said she said it was an honour, however I don't feel that she really thinks that, and that I could do without this extra stress. I don't want to completely fall out with her, however I don't think I will be trying to stay in contact with her anyway after the wedding ... and I doubt she will suddenly start contacting me anymore than she has recently ... so I feel that perhaps the friendship is now gone anyway.

Has anyone else had similar problems - how do you resolve it??

21 replies

Latest activity by MrsCWB, 10 of April of 2014 at 18:07
  • MrsScott2be2018
    Beginner September 2018
    MrsScott2be2018 ·
    • Hide content

Hi, I really feel for you this is a tough situation. It is quite close to your wedding now so maybe you should talk to her ( face to face if possible if not on the phone) tell her that if she really does want to stay as a bridesmaid you need her full support from here on in. Tell her that you need quick responses to questions, she needs to be consistent and reliable. Most of all she needs to be there for you to take the strain away. Hope it all works out.

• MrsWendy2016
    Beginner April 2016
    MrsWendy2016 ·
    • Hide content

I completely agree with MrsScott2be2016, you need to sit her down for a face-to-face chat and lay everything on the line. She is being very inconsiderate and I really do feel for you, especially after the financial commitments you have made to ensure she is part of your day.

Do you have any other mutual friends with each other, other than your H2B? Maybe if she were able to see that other friends also see things from your point of view (who wouldn't?!) she might pull her socks up. Given how slow she has been to reply I'm glad you're not rushing to keep the friendship going, she really doesn't deserve it.

If, after a face-to-face meeting, she is still cold and off with you, consider cutting her out. Your other bridesmaid who sounds like she is fantastic will more than make up for her absence. It is YOUR AND YOUR H2B'S day, so if she can't sort it out she really shouldn't be part of it.

I wish you lots of luck and let us know how it goes. I'm sure you will have a fantastic day regardless. Smiley smile

• SallyLou
    Beginner August 2014
    SallyLou ·
    • Hide content

This!

She's not being a good friend to you let alone bridesmaid. If you feel the friendship has run it's course do you really want her there on the day? Plus she'll be in lots of pictures, do you want her to forever taint them if you fall out?

• S
    Beginner April 2014
    sophiesofa ·
    • Hide content

Bloody hell she sounds like a complete arse. You must have an honest chat with her and if she's still useless demote her to a guest.

• pink & glitz
    Beginner August 2014
    pink & glitz ·
    • Hide content

Sorry to hear your going through this so close to your wedding. Personally I would tell her you don't want her to be a bridesmaid, it's meant to be an exciting time for you both and it isn't x

• C
    Beginner July 2015
    celticcurl ·
    • Hide content

I'm quite happy to slap her for you.

• ClaireD*
    Beginner May 2014
    ClaireD* ·
    • Hide content

Wow. Just, wow.

I thought some of my bridesmaids were a nightmare, but they at least returned their dresses by the 2 weeks deadline for the store accepting returns. If they hadn't, I totally would have called it a day and said I couldn't afford to arrange another dress, so 'how about you just come as a regular guest'. (subtle, eh?!).

Something I've realised about female friends/family is that I was in no way able to predict how they would be as a bridesmaid. I've found that no one got particularly excited, and no one cared about timescales or deadlines, except my sister. The up side of that is I now feel closer to my sister, so I feel that ultimately I've done well out of this situation!

If you do decide to keep her as a bridesmaid, for your own sanity, just stop trying to involve her so much, from now on. She's now got her dress (the second one), and nothing else will be that important. Don't involve her in planning the rest of the hen. Don't give her 'options' for the hen, just chose the restaurant etc yourself. Don't give her control over anything, as you can't rely on her. If you want to share your excitement about your plans, just talk to you OH, your family, or the other bridesmaid. It'll continue to stress you out if you keep trying to involve her.

You've got yourself in a right pickle offering to pay for her hair and make up, plus the hotel room. I assume that that was a kindness that you felt you had to do because of her financial position. Fine. But just tell her when the trial is booked for, rather than ask her what time she wants it. Ask her to confirm two weeks in advance that she's coming to the trial on time, and if you don't hear from her, I'd suggest you just cancel her place and go alone (give the MUA / hair artist two weeks notice on that one).

• Z
    Beginner June 2014
    Zoe2326 ·
    • Hide content

My god how awful, I don't even know how you've made it this far without cutting her out. People like her do not deserve a friend like you! Get in touch with her and make sure she knows exactly how you're feeling and the stress and worry she had caused. If she can't attend or make contact when necessary then she really won't be much help to you on the day and she will just continue to cost you more money and cause more stress. For someone that's 'honoured' to be a bridesmaid she's really not going the right way about proving it to you. X

• Trish2014
    Beginner June 2014
    Trish2014 ·
    • Hide content

I thought that I was patient but you have been extraordinarily patient with this girl - you say that you don't feel you've been a bridezilla and I have to completely agree, you've been very kind and understanding. Stories like this make me realise how lucky I am to have my sister by my side and you deserve a bridesmaid who is very much there for you. I don't have much to add to the advice given here except to do what feels right for you to make sure you have an amazing and stress free day. Sorry to read about all the stress that you've had with her, and I hope that it gets better very soon.

• lilbeth
    Beginner July 2015
    lilbeth ·
    • Hide content

Sounds like you've got one bridesmaid to keep and the other to drop if she can't start acting like a kind human being.

Hope it all works out.

• Shamy
    Beginner September 2014
    Shamy ·
    • Hide content

You have got the patience of a saint! I would have told her to jog on after the incident with the first dress, and that's not a reflection on me because I'm letting my bridesmaids choose their dresses - because I know they won't act like that.

If you do decide to stick with her, I agree with previous posters who have said just make decisions and tell her what's happening rather than ask her what she wants to do. Good luck x

• S
    Beginner July 2014
    Sophkc ·
    • Hide content

Thank you to you all for your advise.

She finally got in contact with me yesterday (after me chasing her up again) to tell me the dress is better, but still needs altered. I've told her to organise it herself.

We're paying for two nights accommodation for her, because we're staying there for the two nights, and she said she didn't want to travel on the morning of the wedding (the venue is about an hour from her). Although we did offer this at the very beginning, and now I'm beginning to regret it when I think about all the other costs I'm covering as well.

I think I'll contact her again, and tell her that I need her to be more available, and to reply to me quickly; and that if she feels she can't do that, then I don't need the added stress. And I agree with the comment about cancelling her hair / make up appointment if she doesn't confirm it.

Thank you again

• S
    Beginner July 2014
    Sophkc ·
    • Hide content

How does this sound:

I just want to clarify some details, as I'm feeling rather stressed at the moment.I have asked you to be my bridesmaid because you were there for us at the beginning of our relationship, and I thought it would be very appropraite. At the beginning of our engagement you were very excited for me, and very helpful with discussing plans. However, since then, I have found you hard to contact, and I feel that I am 'forcing' you into this.I haven't asked you to help me with the planning. I know I have been busy with my course, and I knew some of my personal deadlines were perhaps unreasonable for most people, so I ensured I sorted it on my own (including making & writing wedding & hen invitations; writing place cards, sorting table plans, dress shopping; sorting music, organising hen night and other planning details etc). I feel that we are spending a lot for you to be a bridesmaid (2 dresses, hair & make up + trial; 2 nights accomodation), and I feel that it is just a chore for you. I do still want you to be a bridesmaid, but only if you want to, and only if you feel you can commit to being there for me. It is now less than 3 months to go. I will need you to be available if I need to contact you. I need you to respond within a reasonable ammount of time. I won't ask you to help with any of the other finer details with the planning, but I will need to be assured that you will be there for me on my wedding day, to help with last minute details, to be supportive & excited; and to help with anything else I might need at the time. Please take this seriously, and think about whether you really feel you can support me on this day.

• MrsWendy2016
    Beginner April 2016
    MrsWendy2016 ·
    • Hide content

Agreed. If her response is in any way arsey cut her out. If you have a newer friend who you are perhaps closer to maybe that could be an option? I'm just a bit worried that this current one will be a miserable cow on the day and cause you hassle. I wouldn't be able to do enough for you right now if I were in her position!

• Leedsbride2015
    Beginner May 2015
    Leedsbride2015 ·
    • Hide content

Omg, I feel for you! I think your being more reasonable than you need to be- this girl is taking the p#*! In my opinion!

hopefully she'll realise how she is being & act a bit more like a bridesmaid rather than just being there when it suits her! Good luck with it all Hun xx

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

First can I say I agree this girl is being a nightmare, but then sorry I think these words will deffo lose you a friend. If you want to keep your BM and your friend, I do agree you need to spell things out for her, but I would suggest a different approach. One that shows you're her friend too. The written word once sent is so difficult to undo as people can't see the non-verbals. There's nothing on here about how your real emotions. I'd suggest something like:

Hi XXX

I'm sorry to have to put this in writing, but I'm feeling so stressed about things, I just don't feel I can talk about it at the moment so I thought I'd write how I'm feeling down. Things don't seem to be right between us and I want to make sure you are OK and that I'm not missing something, but then I also need to be able to say how I'm feeling and how things are for me at the moment.

From deciding to get married I've always wanted you to be my bridesmaid and be fully involved in helping plan the wedding and do all those things we're supposed to do. I know we're both incredibly busy and time runs away and that we perhaps don't make the time for each other that we should, and I know I am partly to blame for this, but I am worried that you don't want to be involved and worse, don't want to be my bridesmaid or even friend. I've really struggled to get you involved at all and think there must be something wrong.

I've got so much on with the wedding but I'm not sure if I'm mis-reading things, but everything I seem to do just doesn't seem enough or right and you don't seem interested in helping out at all or even want to be involved. Have I done something wrong or upset you in some way? Please do tell me if this is the case. I'm really unsure about where our friendship actually is and whether you want to be my bridesmaid or not.

I really need your help with things and time is now running out but it's important to me to know if you want to be my bridesmaid and friend or not. I really hope the answer is yes, but if it is, I really need to know that I can count on you for some help and support over the next few weeks. Can we start with a drink and a chat?

Then if you get nothing from this - then I think you have your answer.

• MrsCWB
    Beginner October 2014
    MrsCWB ·
    • Hide content

I think I'd opt for Pammy67's response. Actually, what I would probably say is that she clearly isn't interested in being a bridesmaid, you can't afford any more wasted expense on her, so you are cancelling her role, her room and her hair and make up. I didn't chose one of my closest friends to be bridesmaid because I knew she would be just like your bridesmaid and I would get hacked off and explode.

x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics