Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner October 2013

Nightmare buying a wedding dress from China - OPEN HAPPINESS on Ebay!!

littlemissvee33, 9 of September of 2014 at 12:44 Posted on Planning 0 11

I hope someone can offer me advice.....

Several months ago I ordered a dress from a seller called Open Happiness. I received the gown & to my horror, when I opened the bag, beads were dropping off onto the floor from the dress. I then tried the dress on which didnt fit properly. There were marks all over the dress, a purple smear accross the front and the lace looked like it had been next to something rusty, the netting looked like it had been hacked at any old how and the general finish was very poor quality. It cost me £79 plus £5 delivery.

I notified the seller immediately and decided to send the dress back. When I took the dress to the post office, they told me the postage for tracked postage would be nearly £60!! I didnt know what to do, so sent back in normal post and obtained proof of postage.

I have been told by ebay that it is not covered under their 'money back guarantee' and the seller is not responding to my emails at all.

So upset, as I thought I had done my research on the dress and checked their feedback.

Anyone offer advice on how I can get money back at all? Any advice gratefully received.

11 replies

Latest activity by littlemissvee33, 12 of September of 2014 at 10:45
  • foxxy88
    Beginner June 2015
    foxxy88 ·
    • Hide content

Hi - did you pay via paypal? if so, file a dispute, if the seller doesn't respond within a certain time period it automatically goes in your favour

• LittleMissPanda
    Beginner October 2015
    LittleMissPanda ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

Sorry to hear you've had such a nightmare Smiley sad
    I had a similar experience when I bought a bridesmaids dress for my sisters wedding...

I ended up logging a complaint with eBay, even though I wasn't covered by their money back guarantee they agreed that the dress wasn't 'fit for purpose' so should never have been sold to me.
    I did get a full refund eventually.

I don't have any info on how to raise a dispute with PayPal but that is a good idea.

Hope you get it sorted ok

x

• soraneko
    Beginner June 2016
    soraneko ·
    • Hide content

Just another vote to fight for your refund through ebay and/or paypal as Paypal are there to protect you from losing your money! That's unbelievable, I'm so sorry Smiley sad

• L
    Beginner October 2013
    littlemissvee33 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you, think I just need to keep persevering with ebay & hopefully they may cave in and give me a refund x

• L
    Beginner October 2013
    littlemissvee33 ·
    • Hide content

Hiya,

I did pay via paypal and logged a dispute with ebay, unfortunately, they cclosed the case in the buyers favour as although I had proof of postage, I had no proof that the seller received. I also contacted Paypal, but they just referred me back to ebay Smiley sad Rubbish really and puts me off usin ebay!

• soraneko
    Beginner June 2016
    soraneko ·
    • Hide content

Did you get pictures of the dress's state? Surely if they saw what you've described someone will have to do something?

It's a shame because I've had very good experiences with ebay and foreign sellers. Make sure you leave a very nasty feedback and include that Ebay have been unhelpful and see how that goes! See if you can look into Paypal's T&cs (or maybe someone here can help?) cos I was always told they were a way to make sure you get your money back...

• cinnamon009
    Beginner December 2014
    cinnamon009 ·
    • Hide content

There are new rules in opening a dispute through Paypal now where its an ebay transaction which basically puts the onus back onto ebay. I had a similar problem with Paypal refusing to get involved as they refer you back to ebay and in my case I did not get a refund as I had not sent an item back using recorded delivery. I thought proof of postage at the time was enough as the seller had told me it was - but when it came down to it, seller refused to refund as they said they did not receive the return and ebay closed the case in the buyers favour. Mine wasn't a china dress though - but I had paid £50 for a Karen millen dress. Paypal said ebays decision was final to me. Tried all sorts of routes with paypal and got nowhere.

However, in my case the item was as described the return was just lost in the post. As your dress was not fit for purpose maybe ebay will get involved again - but you would probably need proof of that. Did you take any photos or anything to prove it was damaged when you got it?

• G
    Beginner September 2015
    GizmoSep15 ·
    • Hide content

It might not help but a few years ago I bought some UGG boots from ebay - after doing a bit of research on the seller I realised they would probably be fake as they were from China. I persevered with a PayPal dispute and received a refund without having to even return the boots. My advice would be to try and collect some information about the seller - if you can prove that they have a track record of selling crappy dresses that are not as described then PayPal should find in your favour without proof of return.

• L
    Beginner October 2013
    littlemissvee33 ·
    • Hide content

I have taken loads of pictures. I did send them to ebay when the case was opened, but they dont seem to care. Unfortunately as well, as the case has been closed, I cannot put any feedback on for the item either Smiley sad

• cinnamon009
    Beginner December 2014
    cinnamon009 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes this used to be the case years ago - but you don't have that option anymore where the Paypal purchase is an ebay purchase. Paypal won't even let you open a dispute - it simply refers you to Ebay. I was really disappointed as previously I have found Paypal to settle in the buyers favour more often but now Ebay seems to favour the seller.

So anyone purchasing through Ebay expecting the usual Paypal cover beware. You might be better using a normal credit card then you might have a chance of recovery. Sorry to the original OP as this is no help to you unless your paypal took the money through a credit card?

• G
    Beginner September 2015
    GizmoSep15 ·
    • Hide content

That's a shame Smiley sad

• L
    Beginner October 2013
    littlemissvee33 ·
    • Hide content

No I didnt pay by credit card, as I thought I was protected through the ebay guarantee Smiley sad

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics