Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

panda2011
Beginner September 2011

Nightmare trial meal

panda2011, 8 August, 2011 at 09:06 Posted on Planning 0 10

Yesterday Oh & I went to our venue for our trial meal. I had cheese & onion tartlet complete with burnt pastry & OH had wild mushroom soup which was very unexciting & looked like a bowl of baby sick (sorry!) when served. For our mains we had pan fried magret duck which was so rare the blood was running out of it into a pool on my plate & yet it was so tough & chewy I could barely cut through it on my plate. OH had chicken supreme with dijon sauce which had too much cream in the sauce & was like eating a bowl of double cream mixed with a spoon of dijon mustard. For our dessert we had profitterols which were ok but the chocolate sauce tasted cheap & nasty (could have done with a bit of the cream in the sauce from the chicken supreme!) & apple flan which was ok & at least the pastry wasn't burnt but it wasn't anything to write home about.

I am so disappointed! Everyone I know who has eaten at our venue raves about the food. We were charged half our wedding breakfast cost for the trial meal so it came in at about £27 a head & to be perfectly honest, it was extremely over priced for the lack of quality. I now don't know what to do. I haven't really got time to go back for another trial meal this side of the wedding but there was nothing that I ate yesterday that I would be excited about eating on my wedding day. According to the general manager that I spoke to after the wedding, the food we had yesterday would be from the same suppliers they usually use & would be typical of what will get served at our wedding. I'm now not sure what to do - it is over priced & to be honest quite nasty! I used to be a chef so I know I can be quite picky but generally I will appreciate anything I haven't cooked myself. All I expect is a meal to be quite tasty & enjoyable which our trial meal wasn't. Anyone got any advice please as I'm quite worried now?!

10 replies

Latest activity by sgreen, 8 August, 2011 at 18:51
  • judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

Oh dear. I'd speak to the venue about your concerns, and insist they take your comments on board. Convince them you need another taste session - at a much reduced price as you were so disappointed.

Have you had a meal there before? If you know their food is supposed to be better then I think you have the right to voice your concerns.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

I would get in contact with the venue now and express how disappointed you were with the food, especially considering that you had to pay for it and that you are paying them a considerable sum to cater for your wedding.

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

I'd definitely contact the venue, Panda. You don't want to be worrying about it

• S
    Beginner May 2013
    sgreen ·
    • Hide content

That doesn't sound good at all.

All I would suggest you do is complain / talk to the venue manager and see what you can do about it.

and I really hope this doesn't come across as rude, but this is one of those things where you really need to take matters in hand, and should have done so on the day and at the time and complained there and then and pointed things out to someone. Not smile politely and then complain to us on a forum afterwards.

You need to take charge! Thats not a cheap meal per head and I'd want everything to be perfect

• panda2011
    Beginner September 2011
    panda2011 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Actually I did say I was disappointed & they told me that it would be typical of what we would get on the day! That's why I'm worried about what to do about it as it really wasn't up to the standard I would expect for a meal costing nearly £50 a head without drinks at our wedding. OH can't see what the problem is but then, he is used to eating military canteen food & will generally eat anything anyway so I'm pretty much on my own sorting this out.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That is a very healthy food budget and you really should be getting a decent meal for this price. In addition, if they can't get cooking times/etc right for just two of you, how are they going to manage on a larger scale? Was it a problem with the food quality itself? Or a bad chef? Or both? I would contact them and play nicely-nicely. You had heard great things about their food and it was a key reason to book, therefore you are somewhat confused and surprised about the lack of quality.

What are your options? Is this a set menu? Could you request a more simple meal that, for the same price, would involve top quality ingredients? For example, £50 worth of duck gets you a mediocre dish, £50 worth of sausage and mash gets you some mighty gourmet sausage, if you see what I mean? If they were unconcerned and simply stated that this is what you would receive on the day, you need to make a change to this, rather than hope for the best.

• panda2011
    Beginner September 2011
    panda2011 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks FTLOMB. We were given a list of about 6 different main dishes ranging in prices from £19 to £27 per person. The starters were a choice of about 6 soups & about 6 'proper' starters which are roughly between £7 & £8 a dish, then again about 8 options for dessert ranging from £7-£9 each. We can mix & match as we like but to be honest I wasn't particularly inspired by many of the options available. For £50ish a head I would expect better quality than we were presented with yesterday & the general manager's reaction was that 'this is what we always do for weddings'.

I love how my OH would always rather leave complaining to me!

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

When you say "not inspired", what do you mean? They sounded horrible? Or they sounded too simple? Are you looking for a style/plate WOW factor or for a hearty nosh-up? This price range is where we are and our food is delicious (both in taste and for plate appeal).

Is your venue part of a chain? Could you go higher up with a complaint?

• panda2011
    Beginner September 2011
    panda2011 ·
    • Hide content

There were a lot of very strange combinations of food which really don't sound appetising to me. I'm not looking for anything that is going to be 'wow', more a case of something which is going to be reasonably conventional, enjoyable & taste nice! There was a roast beef & yorkshire pudding which would have been my choice but at £27 per person just for the main course it would really hurt paying that for a meal that I know I could cook far better myself for far less. OH won't have the turkey as to him that is just christmas dinner which really isn't helpful as the turkey would have been a relatively safe option.

• S
    Beginner May 2013
    sgreen ·
    • Hide content

Actually I did say I was disappointed & they told me that it would be typical of what we would get on the day!

Sorry I had to say that, but I'm glad you did mention things, but that answer from the venue is not very convincing to me.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics