Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner May 2025 East Central London

No bridesmaids

Sjh, 11 of July of 2023 at 10:10 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 1 11
Stressing slightly about the bridesmaids situation. Is it ok to not have any?

There’s 2 reasons I’m considering this.. although I have a good group of friends to invite I’m not sure I’m close enough to any of them to make them a BM. Also I don’t really see the point, do you actually need to have them?
Thanks in advance

11 replies

Latest activity by Sarah, 26 of July of 2023 at 22:52
  • J
    Curious July 2024 Norfolk
    Jessica ·
    • Hide content
    I’m not having any bridesmaids. I do have friends I could ask but I just don’t feel the need. We are having a small, simple wedding and don’t want to agonise over colour schemes and dresses. We are older (I’m 40) so I don’t know if that means that sort of thing just isn’t so important to me. I have had negative experiences of being a bridesmaid in the past though, and ultimately I just want our guests to turn up, in whatever they want to wear, and have a lovely, stress-free time.
  • M
    Dedicated October 2023 Greater Manchester
    MrsM2B ·
    • Hide content
    I’m only having 1 (junior) bridesmaid, my niece. My mum will sign the register as my niece is too young. I have 2 sisters I could ask and 3 good friends (I have been bridesmaid for 2 of them) but we only have 50 guests so to ask all of them would have been a big percentage of our guests and I wasn’t prepared to pick some of them so I decided not to ask any of them.

I agree with the above, I’ve been a bridesmaid and not felt comfortable so my sisters and friends can just turn up on the day, feel comfortable in whatever they choose to wear and enjoy the day.

I think it’s whatever feels right for you. x

• H
    Expert November 2022 Lincolnshire
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content

I didn't have any bridesmaids. My stepmum was with me whilst I got my hair done, before leaving to get herself ready. At that point my niece (only 12 years younger so like a sister) came so we could do our makeup together. So I had people with me during the morning but no one with an official role.

It's perfectly fine to have no bridesmaids if you don't see the need and you don't have anyone you immediately think of.

• Katie
    Savvy September 2024 Middlesex
    Katie ·
    • Hide content

I am toying with this. I have one close friend who I was planning to ask to be MoH, but I want her to wear what she is happy with. Also, her and her partner do not know anybody else at the wedding; I don't want to leave him on his own. My FH will have a best man, but I am not bothering otherwise.

I have asked my brother to be a flower boy, so maybe that will be my bridal party 🤷‍♀️

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Go with whatever is right for you. I didn't have any bridesmaids as I couldn't choose just one or two from four and since ours was a small wedding, a large number of bridesmaids would have looked ridiculous.

• Vicky
    Savvy July 2025 Essex
    Vicky ·
    • Hide content

Hey,

I would say totally do what you want to do. At the end of the day this is your special day and if that is what you want then everyone will have to accept that. I have a lot in my wedding that my mum is not very happy about but its tough Smiley smile

Good luck with making your decision, some bits are so hard.

• E
    Curious April 2024 Derbyshire
    Emily ·
    • Hide content

I'll weigh in as well. I'm not having any bridesmaids either. I finally decided on one Maid of Honour because I have a friend who I've known since school and I thought it would be helpful to have someone to help me get ready, carry tissues, lipstick etc. for me. My fiancé is having just one Best Man and no groomsmen so having 'one each' seemed like a good set-up for us.

Remember it's your wedding, you do what you want to do. I felt bad at first not having any bridesmaids, but like you, I just don't have any female friends who I'm close enough to, and I've read far too many bridesmaid drama stories!

• C
    Beginner April 2025 West Sussex
    Claire ·
    • Hide content
    Absolutely not, we are not having Bridesmaids or Best Men at our wedding! It's your day, and hopefully all your girlfriends will rally up regardless of status
  • Dawn
    Beginner September 2024 Northumberland
    Dawn ·
    • Hide content

At the end of the day, its your day Smiley smile if you don't want any bridesmaid then that is that.

You can always have your friends around on the morning as you get ready if that's what you want. If not, who cares, its your day! Do what is right by you.

Good luck with your planning! Smiley heart

• J
    Beginner June 2024 Surrey
    Jonju ·
    • Hide content
    I'll echo what a lot of commenters have said. Don't have bridemaids if you don't want to. I'm not having any either because I don't want the drama of managing a bridal party. I have asked a few close friends to be with me in the morning when I'm getting dressed and that's it. All the best!
  • Sarah
    Rockstar August 2024 West Midlands
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    All personal choice! If you don’t want them - don’t have them! No shame in it at all x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics