Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

lilbeth
Beginner July 2015

No centrepieces

lilbeth, 17 of March of 2014 at 20:55 Posted on Planning 0 15

Hello all,

Have looked for a similar question but couldn't find any so I thought I would write my first question.

I am wondering whether to not have any centrepieces. Reason is that we are having a sharing platter for our starter and it's pretty big. It will look good when the platters arrive as they look impressive but I'm just worried that it will be a hassle to move all the centrepieces to make enough room but I'm not sure that it will look alright when people first walk in and there is nothing in the middle of the table.

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers

15 replies

Latest activity by rubyfirecracker, 19 of March of 2014 at 00:45
  • pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

If you're having sharing platters that will go in the middle of the table I don't think you can have centre pieces. I'd make more of putting decorations on peoples' plates instead that they can then Move to the side etc etc hth x

• Trish2014
    Beginner June 2014
    Trish2014 ·
    • Hide content

Will the platter just be one big platter for the middle of the table? if so then I can see it would be a complete pain to have to move them right away for the starters! If you want to add some decor for the tables could you use things to decorate the individual settings instead of the centre? Really just making the most of favours and/or name place cards. It could still look very decorative! You could even have something hanging down in the centre if there is anything to hang things from.

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

I agree with the others if it's a really big platter that goes in the middle they'd probably be a pain to move around anyway. Like the idea of decorating in other ways like the place card settings, favours...could maybe sprinkle some crystals on the tables and get little decorations for the glasses. Having something on top or maybe around the tables could look nice as well? Sure theres lots of ideas to have it looking nice.

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

Wasn't very clear when I said decorations for the glasses...meant these little things..can be used as place cards or just a nice touch. I think they're quite cute Smiley smile

• lilbeth
    Beginner July 2015
    lilbeth ·
    • Hide content

Thanks very much. Decorating the place settings sounds like the best plan.

The platters are log slices so they are pretty big and there will be a couple per table.

Cheers again

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

What type of venue/theme do you have?

Are you having rectangular or round tables?

How many courses will you be having? If you are having more than 1 course will all courses be served on sharing platters?

Will you be using the same tables during your evening reception (if you are having an evening reception) ?

Depending how you/your venue sets up the tables they can look quite full without centerpieces (if you will be having 3 sets of cutlery for 3 courses, side plates, different wine glasses, favours, menus etc)

• lilbeth
    Beginner July 2015
    lilbeth ·
    • Hide content

Venue is marquee in the back garden.

Theme is Scottish/ Farming.

Round tables, seating 10. Except for the top table.

3 courses, only the starter is being shared the other two will be normal plate each food.

Same tables for evening bit.

Venue is family farm so guess it will be up to us to decorate it!

I'm not worried about how it looks later on as you say wine etc will fill it up.

It's just right at the beginning when people first go in and I don't want the effect to fall a bit flat because the tables don't look as impressive.

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm sure you'll be fine...when I enter I look straight for the wine bottles...priorities and all that haha Smiley smile

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

You could add some table runners or place mats if you wanted to add some colour to the center of the table. Hessian is nice to create a rustic feel or if you wanted to make a bold statement you could go with tartan or you could use ivy to scatter around the center and sit the platters on top to create a woodland feel .

• F&GBride
    Beginner May 2014
    F&GBride ·
    • Hide content

Table runners is a nice idea. I was at a wedding that had sharing platters for every course, on long tables though, and they had lots of small candle holders in different colours - a very eclectic mix - just scattered on the table. Was very pretty. Might be worth considering if there's space for that.

• miss_winter14
    Beginner February 2014
    miss_winter14 ·
    • Hide content

The only other thought is something i saw years ago; a lady had favours in boxes and she stacked them in the middle of the table to cut costs on centrepieces.

if you were doing boxed favours, is than an option? put them on a charger (example below £1.50 from tesco- bargain Smiley winking haha) and just before the meal, you husband (squeeeee) could stand up and say something like 'don't worry- i'm not going to bore you before dinner Smiley winking haha. ony behalf of my wife and i, i'd just like to welcome you all and in order to do so, we've provided a little favour for you all, which you'll find in the centre of the table- feel free to have a look now. enjoy your meals and i will be back!'

if you can't picture it, here's kinda what i mean:

charger

Favour tower

BUT all that said, favours are not essential and to be frank, neither are table centres. i'd wager once the yummy food is place in front of people they won't even know what the room looks like, let along the table Smiley winking haha

best of luck lovely Smiley smile xxx

• P
    Beginner July 2014
    Paranoid_Pixie_:) ·
    • Hide content

You could scatter some coloured crystals on the table? The Platter can then be placed on top x

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

Is it possible to have hanging centre pieces? We're having Tapas for our meal and I was concerned about space on the table - I thought about having pretty chandeliers hanging above the table, and 2 foot off the table if that makes sense?

Like this but a bit lower, but not so low that people can't see one another across the table.

• lilbeth
    Beginner July 2015
    lilbeth ·
    • Hide content

Thanks all! Some great ideas, think I will have to trial some stuff to see what it looks like in 'real' life.

I'm glad I've joined hitched- you're all very nice!!

• Suzie88
    Beginner August 2014
    Suzie88 ·
    • Hide content

If you are having a rustic type wedding, could you do 'table centres' such as a tree stump section. I've seen some look really pretty - a friends of ours had them made from the tree that grew in her parents garden - it had sentimental meaning to her, and it gave a very natural feeling to the day. (Sadly, I can't find the pictures right now to explain better!) The slice of wood could then double up as a place to put the serving platters?

Not sure if I have explained it right or if it sounds like I am saying to put a tree in the middle of your tables!

S x

• rubyfirecracker
    Beginner November 2013
    rubyfirecracker ·
    • Hide content

We didn't have fancy centrepieces, just some jugs with supermarket flowers in (they looked lush). But our tables were laden with cake plates and teapots and teacups and all sorts of other lovely things. When our guests arrived, the afternoon tea was laid out on the plates for them so they got cracking straight away. If it is a cold starter, like antipasti or something, you could have it ready in the middle of the table for when they come in, so it's sort of the centrepiece in itself (that's kinda happened with ours), people ran in and were oohing and aahing and greedily pinching the best cakes for themselves! haha Smiley smile

I know that approach isn't for everyone, but it worked ok for us. I do think a table without anything in the middle looks a bit odd, but its not the end of the world Smiley smile Alternatively, as some of the others said, table runners will brighten it up (we had lovely gingham ones we got dead cheap), or you could put favours in the middle so people would have taken them before the starter arrives?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics