Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

MrsSkinner2be
Beginner May 2014

No contract from photographer

MrsSkinner2be, 13 May, 2013 at 08:19 Posted on Planning 0 28

So our photographer is all booked and I asked if he had a contract and his response was that he doesn't have a contract as such but he is happy to write anything we like down on an email as it is still a legal document.

I have no real issues with this - we have met him and been in communication with him for some time and are completely happy that he will provide us with the service we are paying for. However we are looking into getting wedding insurance and I think someone on here said you need things in writing from suppliers for that.

So what do I need him to put in writing to cover us and him?

28 replies

Latest activity by MrsSkinner2be, 13 May, 2013 at 14:01
  • ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

This came up recently. You can Google for generic Tog contracts, or steal the wording from a Tog website.

• Simon and Alison
    Beginner
    Simon and Alison ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Is he an experienced photographer? Am surprised that he doesn't have a contract already.

As a bare minimum it should cover the price and what he'll provide for that, payment terms, cancellation terms (both to cover him if you cancel, and to cover you if he does). Also you should make sure the photographer signs the contract and you get a copy of that. I'd suggest you get a hard copy too, not just an email....

Ours also incorporates the booking form, so has the wedding date, time of ceremony, names, address etc, contact details, etc.

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

Experienced pros should offer a contract detailing what they deliver.

It isn't just to protect you, but to protect them. I don't know of any professional togs who don't have one in place. One of the things I get asked about by couples on the initial meeting is 'Will this all be in the contract'?

So as Simon and Alison quite rightly say, are they experienced?

Mine is three pages long and details the venue, date, timings, services delivered, what happens if I'm sick, I even mention killer bees at one point.

On the flipside our togs for next year have a single page. But it's something signed by us and countersigned by them.

• Simon and Alison
    Beginner
    Simon and Alison ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

?!? Am intrigued!!! Is this from past experience? ?

• MrsSkinner2be
    Beginner May 2014
    MrsSkinner2be ·
    • Hide content

He is a professional photographer and works part time for Reuters too.

I was surprised he didn't have one and also that we don't have to pay a deposit even though his website says we do!

Will take on board all your advice and try and draft something up from an online one and send it too him.

• Simon and Alison
    Beginner
    Simon and Alison ·
    • Hide content

Can he not draft it up for you?! Seems like it should be him who's doing the legwork rather than you. Seems very odd that he's not asking for the deposit too.

I'm probably being overly suspicious, but without a contract, and you paying a deposit, he could walk away and not photograph your wedding and you'd have nothing at all to say that you've booked him. When does he ask for final payment?

• Hide content

They could be old school, but times have changed. No deposit, no contract, no commitment.

Easiest way to find out is to ping one of us suppliers their details, website etc. Otherwise it's difficult to help out.

• Rhys Parker
    Rhys Parker ·
    • Hide content

This.

Without any kind of deposit/contract (despite his website saying otherwise), I wouldn't feel comfortable.

Tbh I think it's probably best if you ping a tog here their website so they can give it the once over for you.

• Hide content
    View quoted message

Just a little something I'm trying out Rhys....

• Icklefee
    Super May 2014
    Icklefee ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm now very concerned, my TOG makes no reference to what will happen should we be struck by a swarm of killer bees. However, he has assured me that should it snow on the day (unlikely in May but you never know) that as my venue is within a 3 mile radius of his house he will walk to the ceremony.

• Rhys Parker
    Rhys Parker ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's clever. You got me thinking of similar ideas now! ?

• MrsSkinner2be
    Beginner May 2014
    MrsSkinner2be ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Can I send it to you? How do I do it privately?

• Rhys Parker
    Rhys Parker ·
    • Hide content

If you can't do it by his hitched profile, you can send him a message on his blog.

I would also be curious to see the togs site.

• Simon and Alison
    Beginner
    Simon and Alison ·
    • Hide content

If you'd like me to have a look am happy to - email is ******@*************.**.**

Am around all day so happy to help out, just ringing alarm bells a little bit, and we hear so many stories about incompetent suppliers!! ?

• Hide content

No, but doesn't mean to say it WON'T happen. Smiley laugh

• MrsSkinner2be
    Beginner May 2014
    MrsSkinner2be ·
    • Hide content

Have emailed those who have given me email addresses as pms aren't working on my phone if anyone else wants to have a look then you can give me your email address

• Rhys Parker
    Rhys Parker ·
    • Hide content

I've asked Chris to forward the address to me if that's ok. I would post my email address but I'm scared of spam bot's getting hold of it.

• MrsSkinner2be
    Beginner May 2014
    MrsSkinner2be ·
    • Hide content

That's fine Rhys drop me an email letting me know your thoughts

• Rhys Parker
    Rhys Parker ·
    • Hide content

I've sent you a message through hitched with my thoughts. Unfortunately there were a few alarm bells ringing. ☹️

• Hide content
    View quoted message

How did yours sound Rhys? Mine were old school AWOOOOGA's

• Rhys Parker
    Rhys Parker ·
    • Hide content

Mine was old school to. This was music to me ears when in class. ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpmFabj78I8

• Simon and Alison
    Beginner
    Simon and Alison ·
    • Hide content

Hiya - I've replied too, with you having a hotmail account if it doesn't appear check your junk mail, had a few issues with hotmail in the past.

Ali

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Are we to imagine that you two acting like school children and taking the piss is somehow constructive? I very much doubt MrsSkinner2B wants to see her choice of photographer publicly ridiculed.

• cascadeevents
    cascadeevents ·
    • Hide content

I think there might be a bit of confusion here regarding what a contract is and what is required.

Contract law is pretty complex but essentially if he has quoted you a price and you have accepted it and paid him a consideration then there is a contract is in place. For your own piece of mind you might ask him to send you a summary of what he is going to do, where he is going to do it etc. along with a copy of his terms and conditions of business (which would cover the killer bees and what happens if he is ill) but you will not be in a legally stronger positions.

We do not have signed contracts with our clients, they get a confirmation (which details the equipment we will provide) with a deposit invoice and a copy of our Ts & Cs. If people want me to sign things and send them to them then I'm always happy but also slightly bemused from a legal point of view as there is no more protection in either direction. An email from somebody is, these days, as good as a signed letter in court.

• Hide content

No names are mentioned Mrs Skinner.

What you don't see are the private discussions where I have not only shared these thoughts but also sent her example contracts and advised her on how to approach the subject with their tog.

Sure if the togs details were online in this thread for all to see then point taken. But the OP knows what we think.

Both Rhys and I are helping where we can but alarm bells are ringing because:

Some of the good work online looks like training days.

There's not much to look at online (only a few from each wedding).

Some of the processing is real 'cover up mistakes' heavy

The site is only a few years old

They state they take a deposit but haven't in this case

They don't offer a contract like it's normal to them

They've reduced the price by 20%

However the OP is happy with their choice, they've seen full examples of the work. It's the whole contract and trust thing that's spooking her.

We're keeping the conversation light. Not taking the p. However if you have an Elk to sell I'd like to hear from you.

• M
    Beginner July 2012
    maxinegallie ·
    • Hide content

I don't have any extra info to add to what has been said but just wanted to echo the sentiments, you really need a contract! Other people have posted here about TOGs that they can't contact, photos have been lost etc, you need some assurances that are written down.

• MrsSkinner2be
    Beginner May 2014
    MrsSkinner2be ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thankyou! Just seen a few of the unnecessary silly comments but will just ignore.

Guys - just to say I think with photography it is all down to personal taste. Some people may not like you're work either. I know as photographers you might spot things that aren't "technically" good but then as bride to be's we aren't looking at photos in that way. We are just looking at the images we see in front of us and if we like them we go for it if it's in budget.

Thank you everyone who has given me help and advice - think I have heard all I need and the big thing is really to get him to sign something which I will do and he has told me he has no problem signing something.

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

That's a good point and as long as you like it, that's what is important. If you need any help with contract info then you know where I am.

• MrsSkinner2be
    Beginner May 2014
    MrsSkinner2be ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Bless you - you are my little photography angel! Thank you will message you xxx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics