Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

D
Beginner May 2017

No dessert...

DreamcatcherVN, 10 of March of 2017 at 19:53 Posted on Planning 0 10

Hi everyone

We are having a BBQ as our wedding breakfast and decided against dessert as we are having an ice cream van, sweetie cart and wedding cake (3 tiers, all different flavours). I was pretty happy with this decision but today we met with a caterer and he kept implying that no dessert wasn't a good idea. (We are not having a starter either, but the BBQ is all you can eat). He kept saying we should have more food in the evening as we are "only having one course".

I do really like our caterer (and we are sort of stuck with him as he comes with the venue!) and I have no doubt he will do a fantastic job but I'm wondering if what he is saying is true or was he just trying to get us to buy more?

I'm starting to second guess our decision as have never personally been to a wedding without a formal dessert... do you think it's something people would miss even though we had the other options?

We do have money left in our budget but I just don't want to be wasteful!

10 replies

Latest activity by SunnyIvoryFlowers823, 21 of March of 2017 at 15:12
  • S
    Beginner May 2017
    Slink ·
    • Hide content

I'd be happy with ice cream and cake for dessert, I wouldn't leave thinking you'd not fed me enough after that, especially if it's all you can eat BBQ first.

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I agree you dnt need dessert as sweets. Ice cream and cake is dessert. What time is your BBQ?

• The Little Jewellery Box
    The Little Jewellery Box ·
    • Hide content

I agree, I wouldn't necessarily expect it really!!

• MetalBride
    Beginner April 2018
    MetalBride ·
    • Hide content

I'm very synical, they will tell you you need dessert because they will then supply it and it gives them more revenue. Your guests will be happy with their free food and assorted other options, don't let someone guilt you into something unnecessary x

• M
    Beginner September 2017
    MrsPtoB ·
    • Hide content

I think what you are offering is enough! I would love to go to a wedding with those food options!

• D
    Beginner May 2017
    DreamcatcherVN ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the replies everyone! It's nice to have some reassurance! It does seem a bit excessive to have a dessert just because "that's what's normally done". We are going to stick with our guns and not have anything extra :-) I guess from his point of view he's running a business so probably a bit miffed that we've hired and ice cream van instead of getting the desserts through him!

We are having a BBQ for everyone at around 5:30 then something light later on in the evening... we have no evening guests so I don't think anyone will be hungry

Thanks again! Xx

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

N view of timings you definately dont need dessert he's just trying to up his bill. Stick to your guns.

• Annelie @ Annelie Eddy Photography
    Annelie @ Annelie Eddy Photography ·
    • Hide content

It sounds like you are providing plenty of food for your guests! Ice cream, cake and sweetie cart definitely count as dessert in my eyes. Plus you don't want your guests to be too stuffed to boogie when the music starts. ?

• S
    Beginner November 2016
    StarCRM ·
    • Hide content

I would argue that the ice cream van IS dessert.

• M
    Beginner October 2018
    Meg101 ·
    • Hide content

I've been to a few weddings which had BBQ and no dessert. Just wedding cake. It was lovely and I know I was full by the end. Like you say BBQ is all you can eat. Sounds great

• S
    Beginner
    SunnyIvoryFlowers823 ·
    • Hide content

We are planning on a BBQ followed by our wedding cake as a dessert. I don't think you need to offer dessert and cake. I've found that lots of people who offered dessert and then cake had lots of wedding cake left over, which is incredibly wasteful especially bearing in mind the cost of the cake itself. In fact my friend has some of hers in the freezer from 3 years ago when she got married!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics