Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner September 2017

No evening entertainment, small wedding. Panic!

MrsPtoB, 25 of July of 2017 at 12:39 Posted on Planning 0 6

Hey!

So we are getting married at a beautiful castle and then have a meal organised for guests. It's a small wedding. 24 people in total including us and our children.

We decided not to have evening entertainment as it's not a big enough number for dancing and the cost was a part of the decision too. The wedding is costing £10k and I think that is enough.

We have a room where our table will be set up for the meal. It has doors leading outside to a lovely patio area and a huge lawn. If it's nice weather we will be able to sit outside and maybe play some outdoor games.

I felt that was enough and most adults would enjoy a relaxing evening of chatting and drinking.

So now my dad has to make stupid comments saying he and my brother have no idea what they will do all evening after the meal. My dad has complained about so many things but this is making me worry that other guests will be expecting to be entertained and what we have planned isn't good enough.

I wish We'd just planned to get married alone with our kids and 2 witnesses. At least I wouldn't have to worry about what anyone thinks!! Smiley sad

6 replies

Latest activity by FutureMrsT123, 26 of July of 2017 at 08:58
  • H
    Beginner May 2018
    HappyBrownConfetti849 ·
    • Hide content

My wedding is somewhat similar. Max 50 people with just a quiet evening of drink and some background music my fiancé is putting together. We are having a magician for some close up magic for a couple of hours, just as the afternoon dies down and the evening starts. It does help that my wedding is on a Wednesday, so I'm not expecting people to stay too late into the night.

What you have planned sounds lovely to me.

• Bacchant
    Beginner June 2017
    Bacchant ·
    • Hide content

What an odd thing for him to say! I'd have thought evening entertainment for 24 guests would be weirder than not having it. As 24 guests is enough to be able to chat properly with everyone.

Could you get your dad and brother a board game and tell them to occupy themselves while everyone else chats and drinks???

• M
    Beginner September 2017
    MrsPtoB ·
    • Hide content

He just always says stuff without thinking but it's got me worried they have been talking about it amongst themselves and moaning about it. Then I worry other guests will feel the same! It's literally close family only besides the bridesmaid and best man with their partners.

We will definitely have some games and stuff, as well as background music. At least with games they don't have to think of things to talk about.

My dad is quite shy and maybe worried that he won't have much to say. I don't really know but I wish he would keep his thoughts to himself! He has never met my partners parents as they live in Spain and we live on a Scottish island, maybe he is nervous about that as him and my mum are separated and she can't come so it will just be him there as my parent.

• thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk
    thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

What about a solo vocalist on guitar? If you want it laid back then the guitarist can just be background or if anyone wants to dance then they can liven up a few songs easy.

Also the budget will be not too high.

James x

• F
    Savvy July 2018
    FutureMrsT123 ·
    • Hide content

I don't think you need to book anyone, but having said that even some background music can really help with the atmosphere. Can you arrange a speaker and iPod maybe, and get a great playlist? Or Spotify? We're having a band but no dj so in between just having our favourite songs playing at very little extra cost.

• M
    Beginner September 2017
    MrsPtoB ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes. The hotel has speakers so we can connect a phone or ipod or something up to them. I have no idea where to start with choosing music though!

• F
    Savvy July 2018
    FutureMrsT123 ·
    • Hide content

Ahh see we're lucky as my OH is music obsessed and it's part of his job too! So I'm leaving it all to him. You could ask your guests for three favourite songs each that they'd like to be played? Gives you some ideas even if you don't use them all! You could put it on invites if they've not gone out yet, or just ask for an email reply.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics