Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Danielle
Beginner October 2025 Surrey

No formal speeches?

Danielle, 17 of October of 2023 at 16:48 Posted on Planning 2 10
Deciding whether or not to have formal speeches, most of my wedding party are not confident public speakers and I feel awful to put them under that pressure on the day. Has anyone got any creative ideas to fill this time?

10 replies

Latest activity by Danielle, 11 of January of 2024 at 14:52
  • S
    Dedicated July 2024 West Midlands
    SL WaltonJones ·
    • Hide content
    Hey. Just double check with them that they don't want to give a speech, you never know that might want to really do it even if they are scared. You could get them to some readings if you really wanted to have something. But honestly you could skip speeches, It's what 15/20mins in total? It goes by so fast
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

You don't need anything to replace them if you choose not to have them - though I agree with PP that it would be good to double-check. Mostly speeches happen at the end of the meal when people are chatting, so skipping them just gives folk extra time to mingle.

• C
    Beginner July 2027 Staffordshire
    Chris ·
    • Hide content

Hi Danielle,

You're absolutely right, there's no need to stick to the traditional route of formal speeches if it doesn't feel right for your wedding party. A wonderful alternative could be something like the "Mr and Mrs Quiz."

This light-hearted game can bring a ton of fun and laughter without the stress of public speaking. Someone from your circle could prepare a list of playful questions such as who's more bossy, who's the better cook, who's more likely to shed a tear during a movie, etc.

This way, you're not just filling the time but also creating an engaging and enjoyable experience for everyone. Remember, the key is to make the day memorable and comfortable for all, and this could be a great way to achieve that!

Photo attached is from my wife's recent wedding where they did this.

No formal speeches? 1

• S
    Dedicated July 2024 West Midlands
    SL WaltonJones ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Gorgeous photos! Congratulations to you both
  • Mrslines0510
    Beginner October 2023 West Sussex
    Mrslines0510 ·
    • Hide content
    We didn’t have speeches because my husband hates public speaking and no one else wanted to do one when I gave them the choice haha! They weren’t missed at all! We got married at 3pm which is obviously later than some, but I still don’t think speeches fill that much time anyway and most people don’t want to spend an hour on them lol xx
  • PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content

I once had a wedding where instead of formal speeches by the usual suspects, it was put out to the room and there were so may people who wanted to stand up and say something it went on longer than the usual formal speeches !

Quite often I see that when a groom is not keen you can do a combined Bride and groom speech although its actually more of a list of thank you's than a speech.

Another thing that happens a lot is that couples opt for the speeches to be done before the meal so that those that are not comfortable can then enjoy their food. This also is a good way of keeping them short as you don't want to keep guests waiting longer for their food.

• Katie
    Beginner September 2024 Staffordshire
    Katie ·
    • Hide content
    Me and my partner are also thinking this too so you’re not alone in this.
    I’m not expecting anyone to do a speech and that’s okay with me and my partner
  • Sarah
    Rockstar August 2024 Warwickshire
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    I recently went to a wedding where they made a video of multiple short speeches which was brilliant!
  • Katrina
    Dedicated February 2025 West Midlands
    Katrina ·
    • Hide content
    You could get your guests to record speeches and play it on the day. I want to do something like this as well as I only want a small lunch get to together adding wedding ceremony x
  • Danielle
    Beginner October 2025 Surrey
    Danielle ·
    • Hide content
    Thank you everyone for such great suggestions and support with this! Feeling much more confident doing something different ❤️

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics