Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E
Beginner May 2024 Lincolnshire

No gifts...at all?

Erica, 18 of October of 2023 at 10:21 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 0 6

Hi All

As we have been together a long time and have everything we need, and money is tight for people we have decided that we do not want to ask for any gifts for our wedding, including cash. Has anyone else done this? How would you word this without sounding presumptuous or ungrateful? I'm worried that if we ask for no gifts, people will assume we want money instead, and we don't want to ask for this either,

Any ideas?

6 replies

Latest activity by Judith, 7 of January of 2024 at 19:07
  • S
    Dedicated July 2024 West Midlands
    SL WaltonJones ·
    • Hide content
    You could use the standard "your presence is present enough, please no gifts" or words to that affect, you may need to Google. People may still want to get you something or give cash so perhaps direct people to a charity that they can donate to in the name of you both. That way people can donate privately, then no one feels embarrassed if they do or don't.
  • S
    Rockstar July 2024 Cumbria
    Shay ·
    • Hide content
    Hi Erica! We originally said no gifts and a large percentage of the people we are inviting said no chance, they will put money in a card. As stated above we have said the same thing in our invitations but also gave the option if they want too. The people coming know us well enough that we are happy with nothing and wouldn’t want them to miss our special day cause they couldn’t afford to give us something. Their company is what we want. We are going to have a charity box on the side if you want to mention that on your invites but they’ll more than likely do both!
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

We had so many people insisting they wanted to buy a gift, so we put something like "Please don't buy us any gifts as we already have everything we need. If you feel you want to do something to acknowledge our wedding, then please consider making a donation to x charity instead."

I know there is an argument about it being 'presumptuous' to mention gift giving in a wedding invite, but it is such a deep-rooted part of our culture (especially for wedding guests) that I don't really think it is presumptuous. I much prefer it when a couple tell me up front what they want, rather than making me hound them for details!

You will still get a few people who completely ignore your request and buy you stuff anyway!

• Sarah
    Rockstar August 2024 Warwickshire
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    There’s a lot of nice well worded quotes on google and Pinterest!
    If you’re having a wedding website you may use a gift registry with honeymoon options or something too
  • Laurie
    Savvy May 2024 Lothian & Borders
    Laurie ·
    • Hide content

Some people may be very traditional and buy you something anyway.

We've put on our invitations that 'Your presence is the greatest gift we could have on our wedding day - there's no need for any other gifts'.

However, we have put a list on Prezola that has a honeymoon fund, a donate to charity fund as well as a few items, as I was warned by my mum that already she's been asked by family and family friends who are very traditional and really want to give us something that is a 'thing'. It's the only reason we've put a few items on it - as I fear otherwise we will end up with all sorts of kitchen equipment I can't fit in our small flat!

I also know some people who have simply set up a JustGiving page for a charity and said people can give to that in lieu of gifts if they really want to give something.

• Judith
    Beginner October 2024 Staffordshire
    Judith ·
    • Hide content
    We are going to do the same . Wording along the lines of we request your presence not your presents

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics