Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kendall
Beginner August 2022 Pembrokeshire

No Hats

Kendall, 21 of March of 2022 at 06:41 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 0 6
I don't want guests to wear hats or fascinators at our wedding. I'm from New Zealand where it is not the norm, and I know that they will make me feel uncomfortable on the day. How do I word this on the invite? Thanks

6 replies

Latest activity by Kendall, 25 of March of 2022 at 09:26
  • Yorkshirelass
    Super July 2022 Surrey
    Yorkshirelass ·
    • Hide content
    I must admit I don’t really understand why it would make you feel uncomfortable as you would not be wearing them only the guests. But you could add something to the invites like : we respectfully ask for no headgear as we prefer a more relaxed vibe.
    Or something similar.
    Personally I don’t care what everyone else is wearing, I’m focussed on my dress and the wedding party. The guests can do whatever! As long as no one turns up in anything ridiculous.Good luck
  • T
    Rockstar May 2022 Oxfordshire
    Tamsin ·
    • Hide content
    Yeah just include a dress code section on either the wedding website or within the wedding invite info. I would outline the rest of the dress code and then add a sentence along the lines of ‘we request no hats or fascinators’. Keep it short and sweet.
  • B
    Savvy April 2023 West Yorkshire
    Becky ·
    • Hide content
    I completely get this! I hate the whole hats and fascinators thing, personally I think they look a tad stupid and I would rather be able to see people's faces in photos! My Mam (mother of Bride) isn't wearing one because she doesn't like them!
    Maybe in the invite could say something like "we kindly request no hats or fascinators as per NZ tradition"? Tradition might not be the right word but maybe draw attention to the culture difference? Maybe after sending invites casually mention it to as many people as you can? Or saying "we want to see as many faces so please no head gear"? Although I would prepare in case someone does turn up wearing one because people suck sometimes 😂🙄
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Unless this is a super huge issue and would literally ruin your wedding, then I would just leave it. Some people may want to wear a hat if it's sunny, or because they have hair loss, and other people may wear a head covering for religious reasons.

You could try to discourage hat-wearing by saying something along the lines of 'we look forward to inviting you to our relaxed, informal, New Zealand style wedding' and hope that this gets the message across, but telling people they are forbidden to wear hats seems unnecessarily draconian.

• A
    Beginner September 2024 Cheshire
    Alex ·
    • Hide content
    We’re having an informal wedding too so I was thinking about writing something like this on the invitations:

‘No hats, no fuss! Please come wearing whatever makes you feel most comfortable’

• Kendall
    Beginner August 2022 Pembrokeshire
    Kendall ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you everyone for your replies - very helpful!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics