Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

P
Beginner August 2015

No hymns at all in church ceremony

Purplecake, 8 of September of 2014 at 14:24 Posted on Planning 0 9

I was wondering whether anyone has ever been to, or heard of, a church ceremony without any hymns? My OH isn't religious at all although he was baptised, and we're getting married in catholic church. We've decided on ceremony only, no mass involved. At the only meeting we've had with the priest he said start off with a shortlist of 10 hymns and work down to 2-3. You should've seen OHs face!

Whilst there are hymns we all know, i don't think i want any during the ceremony. We've hired a string quartet to play in church and hoped this would be the only music (30 mins while guests arrive, 1 for aisle walk, 2-3 for signing register, 1 once finished). Can you have a church ceremony without hymns, or would it be rude to even suggest it to the priest?

9 replies

Latest activity by halloweeny, 8 of September of 2014 at 16:16
  • ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

No, as far as I believe, church services always incorporate hymns. If you are not comfortable with this aspect - perhaps look at having a civil ceremony where you don't have to have any hymns.

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

It depends on your priest. Sounds like he's expecting some hymns so this is a question you need to ask him. Have you made your expectations clear to him? I.e. have you been honest and said that OH is not religious?

What's your OH's concern about the hymns?

• A
    Beginner September 2015
    almostmrsStimpson ·
    • Hide content

We actually had to think about this too but for more personal reasons. Two of our children are autistic and we're not sure how they'll cope with the noise and atmosphere of it all but in the end we decided that hymns are a part of the church service and if we wanted to escape those, it was maybe best to have a civil ceremony. I'm not telling you not to have a church wedding but its one day in your life, a few hymns are not going to make a massive difference in the grand scheme of things.

Btw we are still going ahead with the church wedding with hymns, we are just providing our kids with ear defenders and someone to take them out and sit in the limo if it gets too much.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

I think a church ceremony with no hymns would feel odd. Given that the Catechism of the Catholic Church describes music (by which it means hymns) as necessary to help prayer, I doubt you'll be allowed to skip them altogether.

• MrsHD2015
    Beginner June 2015
    MrsHD2015 ·
    • Hide content

In my personal opinion if you are not religious then I don't feel it is right to marry in church, if just one of you is religious then that's fine but you should respect the traditions of a church service by incorporating hymns, readings and prayers into your ceremony. My best friend is Catholic and her OH is not religious, they decided to marry abroad as a church ceremony would not have felt appropriate to them as her OH has never attended church or believed in God. I think hymns are as much a part of a church ceremony as the vicar! I guess it depends how laid back the priest is but I would feel rude asking him.
    Please not these are only my personal opinions..?

• M
    Beginner August 2016
    Moonbeam88 ·
    • Hide content

We attended a COE wedding in July where they had one hymn (all things bright and beautiful) and two normal pop songs which people sang along to so it must be do-able. Not sure if all churches would accommodate this but worth an ask!

We are also having a church ceremony and i'm planning of also asking if we can replace the hymns, not asked yet though so time will tell!

x

• M
    Beginner August 2016
    Moonbeam88 ·
    • Hide content

We attended a COE wedding in July where they had one hymn (all things bright and beautiful) and two normal pop songs which people sang along to so it must be do-able. Not sure if all churches would accommodate this but worth an ask!

We are also having a church ceremony and i'm planning of also asking if we can replace the hymns, not asked yet though so time will tell!

x

• P
    Beginner August 2015
    Purplecake ·
    • Hide content

Hmm ok good to know. I have no problem with hymns and have done all the church steps up to confirmation and have long attended church. Same goes for all my family. OH hasn't sung hymns since primary school. He said he'd rather wasn't hymns as he'd be at the front mumbling and be awkward in front of priest.

The older side of his family would also know all the words being catholic themselves, so singing wouldn't be a problem for most of the guests. It's purely an idea for an aspect he's not too fond of, as the church was my wish for where to get married. It's a comfortable church, very 'no pressure', so i may broach the subject dependent how the next meeting goes, else stick with upbeat hymns such as Lord of the Dance.

• jayannfernandez
    jayannfernandez ·
    • Hide content

As catholic, I believe you can but the best person to ask would be the priest. You can definitely ask the priest about this Smiley smile Good luck!

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

Sounds like OH just worried about embarrassing himself.

I don't think him knowing the words to the songs will impress the vicar in all honesty. There are so many guys who never sing at the services that the vicar will probably just assume he doesn't like singing.

I wouldn't make a big deal out of it. Just pick really well known ones and he'll probably sing along happily.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics