Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

bliss_balloons

No one likes our food!

bliss_balloons , 19 of March of 2015 at 11:29 Posted on Planning 0 58

We had our menu tasting last week and have chosen our option. We've told a few people what we are having as they won't get a choice and wanted to make sure people are ok with it. Everyone I've told so far has a problem with the menu! One friend said they won't eat any of it and is requesting a child's meal, it's costing us a lot to feed everyone and I hate the idea of it going to waste. ☹️

58 replies

Latest activity by *Pugsley*, 22 of March of 2015 at 14:30
  • M
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsFitt2B ·
    • Hide content

What do you have on your menu bliss_ballons? Also, how many people have you told and how many guests are you inviting?

My sister has told me she hates all of our menu and we have a choice of three starters and main courses and two desserts! Some people will never be happy!

• F
    Beginner September 2015
    Fairycake135 ·
    • Hide content

What have you chosen? Do you know why they won't eat your meal? It's not very nice for people to say that, if it were me in the position where i wouldn't eat the meal offered at a wedding, i would never say that to the bride and groom, I would simply make my own provisions! Is it a case of they won't or they can't eat the meal? Allergies or intolerances can play a big part in this. It's a shame though, you're never going to be able to please everyone unfortunately. I'm sure the majority of people would be happy with your choice.

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content

Ham hock terrine with piccalilli and granary toast

Skin on Chicken breast in a creamy mushroom sauce with dauphinoise potatoes and veg

Creme brulee with shortbread and strawberry's

I know I need to man up, doesn't help when people keep winding me up saying they're going to mcdonalds!

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's not a dietary requirement we just have a lot of fussy eaters. I suppose it's mainly the fussiest people I've told the menu to because I wanted to check it wasn't a problem for them. It's only early days but feels like so far we have a lot of people not eating the original menu.

• heli-c
    Beginner October 2015
    heli-c ·
    • Hide content

I can't really see why your guests are complaining it's not like you've picked anything ridiculously obscure!! You really can't please veryone and I'm sure some guests, even if you gave them the entiremenu to choose from, would still say there isn't anything they like!! Some people can never be pleased but at the end of it all, it's your day and YOU should be happy! Don't worry about 'people pleasing' tell them you've paid a lot for their food if they don't want to eat any of it they can save you the hassle and not come in my opinion!!! A little harsh I know but maybe they'll learn to suck it up and get on with it!!

Good Luck x

• Soon2BMrsJ
    Beginner September 2015
    Soon2BMrsJ ·
    • Hide content

I would say that looks like a menu that will please the majority of people. Only thing that would occur to me is that quite a few people don't eat mushrooms but it's only a sauce so they can just not eat that part, thats what I would do. I'd say if your happy with your menu then stick to it and sod them! (Sorry!) If it's allergies then most venues would be able to cater to that.

• chels1315
    Beginner August 2015
    chels1315 ·
    • Hide content

It sounds lovely but tbh i would not eat any of it. im not really fussy, i just like simple foods. we are going with a traditional menu so that we dont have this problem.

you will only get a handful of people that wont eat it but try not to worry about it, its your day you chose what you like!!

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

Well I was expecting to see Alligator fritters or deep fried Mars bar - there is nothing wrong with that menu at all. People can eat the bread if they don't like ham hock - it might be the idea they don't like, they can scrape off the sauce if they don't like mushrooms, and just eat the biscuits if they don't like custard. Have you got a veggie option? A lot of people like to choose that, but I think what you have is fine and I'd be perfectly happy if I was served that meal!

I wouldn't tell anyone else - keep it a surprise for the day.

• M
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsFitt2B ·
    • Hide content

I think your menu looks lovely and quite simple TBH. People can eat the bits they like, leave the bits they don't and either sort themselves out or eat something else at the buffet. It's your day and IO don;t think you have picked anything obscure.

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content

Good plan Pammy I think I'll keep quiet about the menu from now on then I can't get stressed about it. I thought it was fairly simple food chels lol The venue will let us change things so we can leave off the sauce for some people etc. But there will be bread rolls on the table so no one will starve. ?

• P
    Beginner August 2015
    Purplecake ·
    • Hide content

Oh no sorry you're getting that reaction! Your menu sounds lovely. I'd echo what everyone says and just keep schtum now, if they don't like it on the day, tough, i'm sure they wont mention it when it's sat in front of them.

We aren't allowed to give a choice but have got round this by having on our invites 'meat starter & meat main' or 'vegetarian starter & vegetarian main'. Out of guest list of 80 only 1 is a vegetarian, but offered up the choice to others in case they don't like the actual one we chose. But we've still had people ask if they can mix and match between as they don't like x, y and z. Even down to 'garlic and thyme new potatoes', MOG hates garlic and says she wont eat it (whereas actually we've served her plenty of food before with garlic in and she's none the wiser, as doesn't know it's there!), so people just love to be fussy. Stick with your choices they sound great and you're both happy with them, on the day i bet everyone will either be pleasantly surprised they like the food they protested against, or you'll be too busy to notice if they don't xx

• B
    Beginner June 2015
    Brooksy ·
    • Hide content

Boo! If they don't like it I'll eat it ?

A couple of people have mentioned the mushroom sauce, maybe you could serve that on the side if it is a problem with your guests?

I dont know what people would not like about your starter - ham hock terrine is one of my favourite things - but who doesnt like ham? And creme brulee? YUM!

I also have some fussy eaters as guests and have 3 adults so far asked for the kids meal (chicken nuggets and chips) but I am just going with it as I would rather give them a meal they will actually eat, its just a bonus that it is also £20 a head cheaper!

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Grr, hitched ditched my message!

I was trying to say that I actually disagree with Schwelley (don't think that's every happened before) and that food should be something where you try and cater to the majority (that's what we had to do, we'd have had thai curry or something if it was just us!) but you've gone for such a sensible menu I'm not sure whats wrong with people! You'll always get fussy eaters, just give them a bread roll and plain chicken. I reckon most people would actually eat it, they're just convincing themselves they don't want to. I don't like fussy eaters! Haha

• miss_winter14
    Beginner February 2014
    miss_winter14 ·
    • Hide content

As everyone has said, you can't please them all.

your menu isn't to my personal taste, but i'm on a restricted diet atm so couldn't eat any way (i can only eat at certain times of the day and it has to be self catered- it's fun(!) lol)! haha but at the end of the day it's a free meal people! don't look a gift horse in the mouth!

sounds like you've tried to go for things which have general appeal which seems really fair to me. i didn't like or eat the food at my own wedding but i chose it because it had general appeal.

let them eat it, let them leave it- don't let it bother you; just enjoy your first meal as husband and wife and the others can beggar off to maccy d's at midnight- and spend their own money on junk whilst you relax with a full tummy of super quality food Smiley winking hehe

• A
    Beginner April 2015
    AprilBride15 ·
    • Hide content

BB your menu sounds fine, and I agree with Pammy don't tell anyone!

We had 3 options for all 3 courses for both the adults and kids, and I still had people who have asked for a kids meal, no sauce, chicken (chicken isn't on the menu!) Just trying to highlight people can be fussy and they need to realise its a free meal so just deal with it!

• Lui
    Beginner October 2015
    Lui ·
    • Hide content

Is it silly that looking at your menu (apart from making me now very hungry hehe) I just think the bits I don’t like I wouldn’t eat and eat the bits I do like to save people hassle?

I’m a really picky eater but at weddings and when we go out in groups I never get it so It’s just catered for me, I do it so that everyone’s happy, heck I’ve even got a pudding at my own wedding that I don’t like because its H2B fave, but I don’t mind skipping it.

Maybe I have this view because I know the cost and the stress that goes with picking the menu and what not.

Also like all the other ladies say, your menu is a safe menu and you will never be able to please everyone.

• P
    Beginner August 2015
    Purplecake ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Slightly OT I've changed the childrens menu so it's a half size version of the adult! A kids menu is cheaper per head than adult on our package, but its still £30 per child! I can't bare to pay that for beans and chips so they can have what their parents are eating and know value for money ?(kids starter and desert is different tho)

• A
    Beginner March 2015
    Ash953 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This sounds so yummy!

• S
    Beginner April 2015
    Spring Bride 85 ·
    • Hide content

Well I think your menu sounds lovely but then I pretty much eat anything!

We haven't really told people about our menu because we know certain people will pick it apart. At the end of the day we're paying for it so they can get what they're given and be grateful! Sounds harsh but that's the way I was brought up. I also know a few people who "don't like" things they've never tried!

Have what you want and sod everyone else IMO!

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Urgh, this! These are my least favourite people Smiley winking

I've just re-read your menu, can I come?

• BubbleBees
    Beginner August 2015
    BubbleBees ·
    • Hide content

Your menu sounds lovely! I'd eat it.

What is it with people who can't just eat what's available!? Allergies are one thing but fussy eaters annoy the shoes off me.

I loathe baked beans with all the passion of a fiery sun, but if someone who is unaware of this made me beans on toast when I was round at their place I'd suck it up and eat it.

• L
    Beginner September 2016
    lpcr ·
    • Hide content

Your dessert sounds fab, I wouldn't choose the main if I was out for a meal but if it was served to me at a wedding I would eat it.

Haven't chosen my meals yet and I know they won't please everyone, but at the end of the day you won't please everyone. I can't believe how rude some people are when it comes to weddings and as am I learning everyone has opinion !!

Go with what you like it's your wedding

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content

Right I'm cancelling our guests and you lot can come instead! I don't really get fussy eaters, I'll eat pretty much anything, I just love food too much!

• Cupcake26
    Beginner August 2015
    Cupcake26 ·
    • Hide content

We have also had our menu tasting and have chosen 1 of each course for everyone. I'm not telling anyone what we have picked as it just causes unneccesary stress as you have encountered! And I agree that if the food is one choice for all then I think you have to pick something that the majority will like. Me and OH would have picked something different if I wasn't needing to appeal to everyone.

She did say that veggys and children can pick whatever they want off the menu though, which I thought was a bit unfair! I assumed I would be picking one of each course for them too! Our starter and obvs pudding are veggy anyway but she said well they might not like that! I think it will be bad if the meat eaters find out that the veggys got a choice and I bet some of them would have put veggy on the dietary requirements section of our RSVP just so they could choose!

xXx

• miss_winter14
    Beginner February 2014
    miss_winter14 ·
    • Hide content

Can i still come, even though i can't eat? *hopeful puppy eyes* lol

glad to see the spark back in ya chick Smiley winking x

• L
    Beginner October 2014
    LalaC1988 ·
    • Hide content

Would be happy to eat that. Can I come? I'll even sit in car park and eat the unwanted food? lol

seriously though it's not obscure it's lovely food they should he greatful so long as your taking allergy and dietary requirements on board so long as you both like it stuff the rest!

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Whoop whoop! *starts looking for a posh frock*

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Of course none eaters are welcome too, will save us some money ?

• S
    Beginner April 2015
    Spring Bride 85 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yay! :-)

• miss_winter14
    Beginner February 2014
    miss_winter14 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

i aim to please Smiley winking lol

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

Ooh and I've got just the perfect frock for a wedding Smiley smile - most of us have Smiley smile xx

• LittleMissPanda
    Beginner October 2015
    LittleMissPanda ·
    • Hide content

I personally don't like mushroom sauce, but I'd just scrape it off and deal with it!
    People don't seem to realise how difficult it is to try and please everybody, you've tried your best and your providing a lovely meal for your guests.
    They should put up and shut up in my opinion ?
    (I had to do just that at my cousins recent wedding, I'd never dream of telling her I didn't like the food ... I just stuffed myself with the sweetie buffet hehe)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics