Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner September 2020

No reception at all --- quite long, sorry

HappyBlueHair6667, 8 of February of 2020 at 14:01 Posted on Planning 0 2

Hi

When my fiance and I got engaged it was a very simple thing - we want a marriage, lets go do it.

We don't like fuss or attention, we decided we didn't want to have a whole big wedding and spend lots of money. We're spending on the photographer for the memories, and i'm getting a custom paper bouquet for my mum as a keepsake and that's about it.

We're going to the registry office - a lovely manor house - and originally were just having our parents and my sister there. We then expanded this to my grandma (unfortunately my fiances grandma passed recently).

We were just going to get married, come home and chill out with the parents in a casual manner. However, some aunts and uncles were really sad they wouldn't see us get married. They were understanding and didn't cause a fuss, but we were aware they would like to see it.

So we relented and added aunts and uncles only. No cousins, no nieces and nephews (they're literal babies anyway so they dont mind lol), not even any of our friend circle. We knew if we started extended invites beyond just aunts and uncles it would spiral quickly and we just don't want that.

Everything seemed fine, aunts and uncles were delighted to be invited, everyone happy. However, as the day gets closer, some are grumbling that there's no reception. We made very clear there wont be one from day one. Some are fine with it. But others are now sulking because it 'wont feel like a proper wedding' and 'why dont you want to celebrate properly?'. I've even had an aunt imply that it would be too much trouble to book a day off work and get dressed up if it was just vows and no party.....I politely told her if she felt that way she didn't have to come.

Some people are now saying i am being rude and inconsiderate to the guests not having a 'do' of some kind. I feel like yelling that i didn't want GUESTS anyway and to just go away lol

How would you handle this?

Do you think i am being rude?

2 replies

Latest activity by zaraahmad, 24 of February of 2020 at 12:42
  • HappyPinkHair15172
    Dedicated September 2022 Merseyside
    HappyPinkHair15172 ·
    • Hide content

Your day, your way. You are paying for what you want. No discussion!

If it was me, I'd elope!

Hugs, hope you get some peace on this!

Ali

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No!

You didn't even want these people to come in the first place. You only invited them because of their demands. Now they are demanding you change the style of the wedding as well as the number you invite. THEY are the ones being rude!

I think your response to that one aunt is perfect - those who object to the way you are organising your wedding don't have to attend. As long as everyone knows what is involved (so you don't get someone booking a day off work or travelling a long way under the impression it's a big do) you are being totally fair.

I've found that people use their presence/absence from your wedding as a kind of emotional blackmail - in most cases, they give in once they realise you won't budge. If they don't give in - well you wouldn't want them at your wedding anyway with an attitude like that, would you?!

• zaraahmad
    Curious August 2021
    zaraahmad ·
    • Hide content

It really your wedding and you are paying for it So no one should interfere in it.

All those people want you to cause fuss but you are doing the right thing. Its a spiral, there should be full stop somewhere....

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics