Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

noseli24
Beginner July 2014

No religious references in music - help!

noseli24, 23 of September of 2013 at 15:07 Posted on Planning 0 5

Hi all,

We've been trying to decide on music for our civil ceremony, and found lots of nice Vitamin String Quartet ones that we want, including some with titles relating to religion. I was just wondering whether these would be allowed? There's obviously no words in these songs, but could they still be seen as having religious undertones because of the title and/or the song that they are based on?

Has anybody had any problem with this?

5 replies

Latest activity by noseli24, 23 of September of 2013 at 20:52
  • OB
    Beginner January 2011
    OB ·
    • Hide content

You’ll have to ask the registrar, that’s the only way to be sure. Some are stricter than others.

• Sandysounds
    Sandysounds ·
    • Hide content

Totally agree with previous post. I often do the music for civil ceremonies and have found that what one registrar will accept, another may not!

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

We had to submit out song choices to the registrar beforehand so they could check them.

• V
    Beginner September 2013
    Vix7913 ·
    • Hide content

Best bet is to ask the registrar. We had VSQ music and I was convinced they wouldn't allow us to have 'Hallelujah' for the signing of the registrar but they did Smiley smile

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen? I don't think it's a religious song. It uses religious stories as metaphor.

OP, ask the registrar. They will vary. I gather instrumental hymns (Amazing Grace, Ave Maria etc) aren't allowed, but we certainly had songs with religious words (just not in the context of a worshipping song!).

• noseli24
    Beginner July 2014
    noseli24 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you everyone!

I'll contact the registrar. Yes, we need to submit our song choices too, but we want to know if they're allowed before the official meeting so that we can make other choices - I don't want to have to wait another 7 months until our meeting to find out that we can't have our songs!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics