Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

soon2bmrsRB
Beginner May 2013

no seating plan???

soon2bmrsRB, 26 January, 2013 at 16:32 Posted on Planning 0 15

Im thinking of not having a seating plan as we want a more laid back wedding but i was wondering if anyone else has done this and did it work or not??

15 replies

Latest activity by soon2bmrsRB, 28 January, 2013 at 22:24
  • soon2bmrsRB
    Beginner May 2013
    soon2bmrsRB ·
    • Hide content

Yeah im not sure what to do we're having a hot buffet for eg curry. oh im really not sure!!!! or maybe i should just allocate people to a particular table and they can sit where they like at that table?? im so rubbish lol

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't do it. Are you having round tables?

It very rarely works as there are often empty seats left with the last in having to split up etc.

What about giving people particular tables but not assigning specific seats?

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

We're having people allocated to tables rather than to specific seats.

Our day is going to be really informal, but no seating plan at all tends to be more trouble than it's worth.

• mum-wants-a-hat
    Beginner June 2013
    mum-wants-a-hat ·
    • Hide content

We are having an indoor venue but with seating outdoors too, plenty happening outdoors and a hog roast. We are having the formality of a church wedding but just want a laid back summer party reception. It's all close family and our besties but still makes about 80 ppl including 18 going kids. So we aren't bothering with seating plans either..... Folk can be indoors or outdoors, hog for tea (we don't get married til 3) and buffet later. Same folk for it all, so we are just hoping people will sit/stand/play where and when they want, no stress. Fingers crossed..... Xx

• soon2bmrsRB
    Beginner May 2013
    soon2bmrsRB ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

this is my thnking too people can stand and eat or sit and eat im just not sure weather its gong to work and if people expect there to be a seating plan? i dont want them to feel arkward lol

• M
    Beginner July 2012
    maxinegallie ·
    • Hide content

The only thing I can say is beware if you have no form of plan at all, you could end up with lots of random single spaces that couples wont sit in (like at the cinema) so if you only have the right number of spaces, it could be a problem

• mum-wants-a-hat
    Beginner June 2013
    mum-wants-a-hat ·
    • Hide content

I think you should have a look at who you have invited really, and consider what you think they may be more comfortable with. My thinking is that in our situation, lack of formal seating arrangements should encourage mingling. We are not even having a top table as such, and speeches will probably be done,pint in hand, between feeds. Tbh I'm not really fretting about it, cos the important bit to us is the ceremony itself, which will be the whole formal church affair. Once we have said our vows, we just want our guests to eat, drink and be merry! :0)

• TamarValleyGirl
    Beginner May 2013
    TamarValleyGirl ·
    • Hide content

If you don't have any form of table/seating plan, I'd make it clear somewhere at your reception. Just some sort of sign saying 'please take a seat anywhere you like' would do it.

My friends didn't have any plan at theirs, and people stood near the bar loooking around themselves, not quite knowing what to do. B&G were off having photos. Luckily I knew the situation, and as a BM with a big gob ? I went around the groups of people saying "if you're looking for a seating plan there isn't one, please find a table you like the look of and make yourself comfortable. Oh, but do leave a seat for the bride's grandmother when she comes in, won't you?".

• K
    Beginner November 2013
    katiemoulton87 ·
    • Hide content

I'm not having a seating plan either. We are having a 4pm ceremony with close family and friends then our evening reception starts at 5.30. We wanted it to be pretty informal as we are having a BBQ style buffet, and the way our venue works we have various areas for them to sit or stand with drinks in hand!

I think it all depends on whether you want the formality or if you are having a full sit down meal and what your venue is like!

xx

• soon2bmrsRB
    Beginner May 2013
    soon2bmrsRB ·
    • Hide content

I want it informal we're not having speeches or anythong like that and we're having a hot buffet.

• H
    Beginner August 2014
    HellsBells42 ·
    • Hide content

I've been to a wedding with no seating plan and it worked fine. I'm also having no seating plan, but I don't mind if people decide they want to move chairs around. We are going for totally informal and laid back atmosphere.

• soon2bmrsRB
    Beginner May 2013
    soon2bmrsRB ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

yes this is what we want! i dont want it to be so structured i no there has to be a certain amount of order but i want it laid back and fun really just everyone having a good time!!!! no seating plan it is!?

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

this is what we did, couldnt be bothered going to all the effort of allocating seats when people move around anyway

Ive been to a wedding where there was no table plan and it worked fine. it wasnt a buffet.

we ended up on a table with a couple who we found out lived in the sane block of flats as us!

• Kentish Gal
    Beginner July 2013
    Kentish Gal ·
    • Hide content

We are allocating couples/families to tables but not specific seats. On the back of the table name will be the name of the clan/gang/couple and how they know the bride/groom so as to help with introductions etc.

• soon2bmrsRB
    Beginner May 2013
    soon2bmrsRB ·
    • Hide content

Change of plan am now having a sit down meal so will be allocating tables to people lol how things can change we had a meeting with the venue yesterday and this seemed the best choice!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics