Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

pinkandteal
Beginner September 2014

No Smoking???

pinkandteal, 17 of February of 2014 at 11:48 Posted on Planning 0 8

Hi all,

bit controversial I fear, but is there a way I can say 'don't smoke here' without being mean or coming off as too judgemental???

The issue is our venue includes a conservatory and outdoor patio area which will be used all evening (if nice) and for drinks reception and teas.

Both my daughters and my mum have really severe asthma and people smoking really sets it off.

I don't want to be worried all evening that one of them could have a attack and I'd really like people to just not smoke in the area at all.

My mum said people will hopefully be mindful and go away from the wedding areas to smoke, and that I can't really say "no smoking here".

Anyone have any ideas???

8 replies

Latest activity by Alfred, 16 of June of 2024 at 08:11
  • slou90
    Beginner April 2014
    slou90 ·
    • Hide content

Personally I don't think you can say don't smoke --- especially these days when you can't smoke inside anyway. I think people tend not to smoke around kids etc these days and people should be mindful . However I think if people are social smoking whilst talking to people etc there's not a lot you can do x

• S
    Beginner July 2015
    stephers01 ·
    • Hide content

Hiya, ooowww that is a dilema.

Well firstly I can totally understand why u want to ask people to smoke elsewhere. Secondly I dont think people will automatically go elsewhere to smoke as if they are outside then they will naturally light up and feel that this is ok. You would deffinitely need to ask people to smoke elsewhere, i dont just think they would do it.

Hmmm, is there an area of outside abit further away that would work as a smoking area? or could they go out of the front for a cigerette and keep the back as an example as a non smoking area? Is it a place where other people will be 9maybe a hotel0 with other guests and will they be smoking out there? if so then theres not much u can do there anyway x

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

The way to handle this is that YOU don't tell anyone anything. But if you give your instructions to the venue and let them announce it and they at that time can also point out a place that would be acceptable to smoke at.
    This way if anyone takes umbridge then it is with the venue, and you don't know anything about it as it is just the "venues rules" ?
    The other way is to instruct your photographer to just point their camera at them as I find no one ever wants to be photographed smoking, unless its Dad and groom choking on a fat cigar
  • SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

Find a place for them to smoke, and then all over the area you don't want them to smoke in, place arrows directing them to the smoking area and notices saying "please refrain from smoking in this area to ensure everyone can enjoy being outside"

I'm an ex smoker, and I never would have sat among a crowd of non smokers and lit up, even outside.

• bex_boo
    Beginner August 2014
    bex_boo ·
    • Hide content

Perhaps voice your concerns to your venue, they might even have a sign that they can put up that says no smoking here, or where there is a designated smoking area? I'm sure they will be very understanding, and might have a very helpful solution if they have encountered this issue before.

• NathalieSB
    NathalieSB ·
    • Hide content

Are you able to write a note in the invite? Or perhaps have a designated smoking area?

• pinkandteal
    Beginner September 2014
    pinkandteal ·
    • Hide content

Thanks all.

the venue does allow smoking in the area usually, although we will have sole use of the graden for the reception. there is an area at the front of the hotel where they could smoke, but the garden would be much more convenient.

Unfortunatly not all OH's family are as concerned with our childrens health and have in the past smoked around them anyway.

Like the idea of asking venue to announce it though as this could work a lot better.

xxx

• W
    Beginner August 2014
    weddingvirgin ·
    • Hide content

I agree with others...see if the venue can help! Then they come off as the bad guys :-)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics