Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

daisymoo86
Beginner July 2016

No Speeches

daisymoo86, 21 of January of 2014 at 12:37 Posted on Planning 0 13

Hi Everyone

We are thinking about not having any formal speeches on our big day. OH is very shy, as is Dad and BM. So I didnt want to put them under any pressure on the day. I just want everyone to enjoy it. Whem my brotehr got married, he didnt manage to eat any of his dinner as he was so nervous about the speech so I really dont want to make my nearest feel that awkward by imposing a speech must on them.

Has anyone been to any weddings where there were no speeches? I would say that I would step up and do the honours, but unfortunatley i'm nervous enough about walking down the aisle and saying my vows infront of all these people, let alone standing up and doing a speech.

I have toyed with the idea of a pre-recorded message from both me and the OH, thanking people for attending with a montage of photos of us as a couple throughout the years. Has anyone ever seen anything like that done?

13 replies

Latest activity by Eric, 6 of December of 2022 at 01:25
  • *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

My brother didn't have any speeches at his wedding.
    There's really no point stressing all day about something you're so uncomfortable with and not enjoying the day as much, I'd say just leave them out Smiley smile
    I haven't seen anything like the pre recorded message but it's a lovely idea, and you'll thank people individually anyway without the stress of speaking in front of everyone. I think you should leave them out and enjoy a stress, worry free day!

• R
    Beginner March 2014
    rainforest7sparkle ·
    • Hide content

Hi, I've been to a couple of weddings where there were no speeches and it was fine. I think the idea of a photo montage and pre-recorded message sounds brilliant. It's not worth having speeches if the nerves are going to ruin the enjoyment of the day. It's such a special day you just want to relax and enjoy it.

• daisymoo86
    Beginner July 2016
    daisymoo86 ·
    • Hide content

Thats a relief!

My mum was like 'you can't not have speeches!!' But its our day, we are known for being a shy quiet couple so I am sure alot of people would not be surprised at no speeches. Plus like you say, it gives us chance to talk to everyone and thank them directly for being there.

• J
    Beginner February 2015
    janerim ·
    • Hide content

They way I think of it is that it's your wedding and you can have, or not have, anything you like!!

• Alisha.B
    Expert April 2022
    Alisha.B ·
    • Hide content

Yes my family dont have speeches but they tend to just have a party (kids party style) after the offical bit

I didn't want speeches either but OH vetoed it because he want his brother to do a speech

• Alisha.B
    Expert April 2022
    Alisha.B ·
    • Hide content

yep not to mention cringe worthy unfunny jokes (usually sexual or at the brides expense) or horrible groom anecdotes about how much of a whore him and the groomsman was at 17

• S
    Beginner July 2014
    Shely ·
    • Hide content

Hiya. We are not having speeches for same reasons. I dont want anyone feelinv nervous and my h2b is shy. We are just simply thanking ppl for sharing our day :-) x

• daisymoo86
    Beginner July 2016
    daisymoo86 ·
    • Hide content

Im so glad I asked the question now! As I was worrying about it and what people expect etc. but its nice to see so many going down this route!! It does mean that we will both get to enjoy our day without anymore added stress!!

• E
    Beginner August 2014
    Echo SW ·
    • Hide content

The speeches are usually my favourite part of attending a wedding! The vows are obviously the most important part, but for most weddings are are not personal so I enjoy hearing more personal stories relating to the couple during the speeches.

Though, that being said, if the bridal party is uncomfortable with the idea of speeches, I wouldn't want them to put themselves through the anxiety and I imagine your guests would feel the same.

I think your idea about a pre-recorded message is great! I say go for it!

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

If we have speeches, they are likely to be impromptu and probably mightily embarrassing! My dad isn't giving me away, my kids are and so he's not giving a speech. We're not having a sit down meal so would have to interrupt the evening entertainment to do them which would not be easy - knowing our friends and their loud, lewd behaviour!!!! I suspect there may be drunken and loud grabbing of the microphone from the DJ at various points - I have warned him!!!!

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is a fantastic idea and something that I have never seen done before, and your food can be served right after the message with the montage flipping through by itself through the rest of the meal, you could include in it members of the family who were not able to come or who maybe have past-on.

I know that your reception venue would love this as you could tell them exactly how long your bit would be, as the speeches are always an unknown timing for the venue and food.

Quite often I see the speeches done before the meal and this is nearly always because someone may nervous and not enjoy the food so they get it out the way sooner.

One word of note is that I once shot a wedding where there was to be no speeches, but then an uncle stood up because he wanted to say a few words, which gave someone else the thought that they too wanted to say something,and then the next, and so it went on, I suppose it was nice and heartfelt off- the- cuff but the reason the bride and groom didn't want any speeches was because they didn't want them to go on and on, whereas if they just did the speeches they would of been over and done with much quicker than what happend.

I have also seen first course served - then speeches, and also a speech in-between each course.

So everyone is different and you do what feels right for you

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

All of ours are really nervous too but we didn't want to cut them out entirely. We're doing them before dinner so that at least they can enjoy their meals afterwards.

I think it's getting more common to leave out speeches now so I don't see why it should be an issue. I like the photo montage idea.

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

We aren't having speeches and the reaction from each person I've told has been "Good"! I think a photo monage may be nice, but I don't think you need a recorded message. I think it may draw attention to the fact that you were too shy to do a speech. As has been mentioned, just say to people that you'd much rather thank them individually and in person, they'll like that.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics