Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

mustard_mitt
Beginner September 2015

No theme, no colour scheme

mustard_mitt, 2 of June of 2014 at 17:24 Posted on Planning 0 13

We decided early on we didn't want a themed wedding. I don't dislike themed weddings, I think some of them are very cute and classy, but we love so much that it'd be impossible to choose a theme we both agree on. Instead we're having a mish mash of all the stuff we love and our hobbies incorporated into the decor/stationery/favours etc so if anything, it's "Us Themed"

We're also not having set wedding colours. We love blues and purples, but we want more than two colours to represent our day. I want bridesmaids in different colours, for example. I hate pastels, so I want really bright, vivid colours, something that pops out against a predominantly white marquee.

I realise this sounds like the worst, most mixed up and messy wedding but in my head it looks really lovely, full of colour and everything we both love. Whether I can actually achieve this is as yet unknown, but I have, as of today, 467 days to get it right!

I know a lot of you ladies are having themes & set colours but is anyone, like me, not having a theme and/or colour scheme?

13 replies

Latest activity by mustard_mitt, 3 of June of 2014 at 22:44
  • miss_winter14
    Beginner February 2014
    miss_winter14 ·
    • Hide content

My daughter was bm in a wedding which didn't have a theme- bm's wore floral dresses with bright coloured cardi's and carried gerberas in all colours.

looked lovely- very refreshing Smiley smile

f**k what it looks like to anyone but you and your h2b Smiley winking

we picked random stuff that WE liked and WE wanted and it came together and looked like it belonged. who knew lego and hessian would work together? Smiley winking haha

• kimiu
    Beginner June 2015
    kimiu ·
    • Hide content

I think that going with the flow, as you are, is lovely!

We didn't set out to have a theme at all. I told my bridesmaids they could choose their colours, my OH has chosen his suit and accessories according to what HE wants, and along the way it all sort of came together as a "look" that really really works!

My mum asked me early on if we were having a theme to which I said no....but our theme is us, like yours is....maybe a bit more structured, but nonetheless, it just morphed into a look that suits, and I can't wait to see it all on the day!

Sometimes people "force" a theme, because they feel they HAVE to have one, but if it is natural and relaxed and YOU then it WILL work!

Enjoy your 467 days Smiley smile

• mustard_mitt
    Beginner September 2015
    mustard_mitt ·
    • Hide content

I'm thinking something like this:

Maybe not quite so many bridesmaids though....

• MrsDJG
    Beginner May 2015
    MrsDJG ·
    • Hide content

So I know you said you hate pastels, but I'm thinking of doing a pastel 'confetti' coloured wedding, incorporating a mixture of my favourite pastel shades, I'm not decided on this 100% but it is my favourite idea at the moment.

I also love the 'us theme'! Good idea. xx

• S
    Beginner November 2014
    Sazzle24 ·
    • Hide content

Oh wow love that pic! I also like it's not quite rainbow it's just an assortment of bright colours! My theme is like a peachy corals colour but not being overly fussed if I'm honest. The bridesmaids are wearing nude dresses as I'm trying to steer away from colours! Sometimes I feel it can dominate the whole wedding and so keeping it as natural as possible whilst trying to incorporate some colour. I think it's original and different and lots of colours means great photo opportunities!

• N
    Beginner June 2014
    nemi ·
    • Hide content

I think your idea looks fab! I'm sure your day will be wonderful!

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

It sounds lovely not messy at all!

We said at the start the colour would be red and we've stuck with that for a lot of things but also ended up with some things that won't go at all probably but we liked them so just picked them up. We've also ended up with a mixture of music / animals / beatles & tattoo theme going on with some things thrown in.

I think it's important to have a wedding that shows your personalities through it and not just sticking to one particular thing, I like seeing a mix up of things and relating it to the couple Smiley smile

• Merigold
    Beginner June 2014
    Merigold ·
    • Hide content

Our theme is "Suff we like".

We like: the Apocalypse, bears and wolves, zombies, survival, airsofting, video games, pranks, comedy, music, books, sci fi, fantasy, history, 420, craft beers, travel...

I struggle with a colour. Some of our touches feel a bit masculine - airsofting for example - so wanted something that felt girly, but also so hearty. I generically said yellow...I now have several dozen shades if yellow strewn about my house...also..green and light blue..all in the wedding!

My wedding doesn't match, isn't colour coordinated, and probably clashes in more ways then are countable, but it's all me...( and some of him)..and int he end that is all that matters.

Debbie

• Foo
    Beginner June 2014
    Foo ·
    • Hide content

No we don't have a theme.

Our colours are vaguely yellow/blue/grey but we are not having bridesmaids so this basically amounts to the groom wearing yellow socks. ? Our venue is supplying flowers for the tables, whatever looks nice at the market that day, and my bouquet is coming from a garden centre and again, will be whatever is in season/looks best. My step mother has made our cake and for some reason has done it black and white. ?

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    MOMB ·
    • Hide content

We have no colour scheme: the bridesmaids dresses are all different colours based on the colours of polkadot conflowers, which we chose as they were the flowers which grew best in our 'bouquet experiment' last year. The bunting is standard multicoloured fabric bunting: not wedding bunting as such, and the umbrellas and windsocks are rainbow coloured. Everything else is an uncoordinated mixture of things we like, as you have chosen: we have wood slices as cake stands becasue OH works with wood and polished them up himself. We have crafts and lots of different guest book ideas because we have lots of daughters and we're all crafty. We have a circus skills workshop/juggler because he entertained at my 40th some years ago and we all agreed he was brilliant.

Just sinking in that it's only a couple of months away; i really should be getting with things!

• bex_boo
    Beginner August 2014
    bex_boo ·
    • Hide content

You don't need a theme at all! I love the mish mash look. I don't like evrything to be uniform and all the same either.

Do things how you want them to be. It's you who looks at the photos for the rest of your life, so you should be happy with what they show! And if you like bright colours and everything different, thenhave that, and you wil be happy with your choices. I think it sounds fabulous.

• mustard_mitt
    Beginner September 2015
    mustard_mitt ·
    • Hide content

Another thing that probably won't match - stationery.

I want certain save the dates and a then a completely different styled, coloured, themed invitation. I feel that by matching the stationery people will think the stationery dictates the "theme" when they don't, they're just designs we like.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics