Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

greenbean
Beginner July 2012

No top table

greenbean, 18 June, 2011 at 17:15 Posted on Planning 0 8

We are planning on doing our speeches outside before dinner (so people can enjoy the food and not be nervous mainly). We were then thinking there is no reason to be on show during the meal as the speeches are not to follow. Therefore I was planning on breaking the large wedding party onto two round tables like everyone else rather than a tio table and that would mean partners could be there too - probably me, h2b, fob, mob, mil2b and her partner, cb and partner (an usher), my sister (bm) and partner, and best man with partner (and baby) - I think is is too many for 1 table but not enough for 2 tho so will either have to bump or promote some people!

what do people think? anyone else not having the traditional top table? I don't want partners left on their own, and I dont want my sister not to be on top table as she is not cb as i think that is already a touchy issue in itself. Also we are having tapas for the WB so it would be easier to serve on a normal round table.

I have heard some people have their parents 'host' other tables - if we are not having a trad top table this could be an option though i personally think my mum would want to be at the same table as me.

Are other people having partners of the wedding party with them - i just don't like the idea of leaving them on their own!! But i can understand you cannot have half the guests ending up on the top table.

Just wondering what other peoples plans are really. (apologies for disorganised rambling nature of post!)

8 replies

Latest activity by ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown, 20 June, 2011 at 10:39
  • D
    Beginner February 2012
    Dani1984 ·
    • Hide content

Hi we are having a top table but with parents only, i don't like partners being separated so Best Man and CBM will be sat with their partners on other tables,

xx

• M
    Beginner June 2012
    manda29 ·
    • Hide content

We are considering not having a top table as my dad won't sit there away from his partner (they've been back together 3 weeks) and I can't be bothered with the hassle.

The wedding co-ordinator at our venue said lots of people don't have a top table so it's your choice.

• Daisymclazy
    Beginner July 2012
    Daisymclazy ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

We are not having top table as family is too complicated! We're thinking approx 6 tables hosted by us, M&Filtb, my Mum and her partner, my dad and his partner, best man and his partner and MOH and her fiance.

Hope this will work out ok!

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

I'm not planning on having a top table. I don't really like people seeing me eat so if we're on a round table at least i'm only facing a small group of people. We'll still do speeches at the round table, people will just have to stand to one side and face the majority of the room.

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

We aren't having a top table. we are keeping partners together and because our families are so complicated on our table will be us and our closest friends, , ,

• NikiST
    Beginner July 2011
    NikiST ·
    • Hide content

We're having a table the same as all the others. We have 6 round tables.. our table will be positioned in the middle so that we can be amongst all of our guests.

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

We are not having a top table as such. We will be on a round table with our BMs and their partners and best man. My parents are divorced and do not get on. I dislike my step dad and don't want to sit with him so no parents are on the our table.

I prefer it like this, I would never want a traditional top table, I have always thought it looks rather lonely and not condusive to flowing conversation.

Sorry, back to you... if you want your best man at your table fine- I think that his partner should get over it (even if she was uncomfortable I think she shouldn't have told you, it's your wedding and it's about you not her... you have better things to worry about).

Having said that, the weddings I have been to where the best man has a partner, he has sat with partner away from top table (ditto chief bridesmaid) and delivered his speech from there. Not been a problem, he usually got up and moved to near the top table before he delivered his speach.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

We had a top table but it was a normal round table in the middle of all the others so that we weren't on "display" but could actually have a conversation with those around us!!

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

We are having an oval (maybe round) top table that won't be particularly distinguished from any of the others. Our best man and MOH will be sitting with us, their partners (one of whom is bridesmaid) will be sitting on other tables. However, we are a close (and bizarrely overlapping) group of friends so both of the partners know a lot of other people at our wedding.

Just another thought - you are having speeches outside as in open air? That makes for slightly difficult acoustics (in the absence of a mic). Have you thought about that?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics