Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

VictoriaPlum04
Beginner August 2015

Nobody's interested :-(

VictoriaPlum04, 10 of July of 2015 at 13:21 Posted on Planning 0 16

Hi everyone,

Sorry for starting off with a big, fat moan, but I'm feeling really underwhelmed by the lack of interest anyone's showing in my wedding. I don't really have many friends, but my closest friend just refuses to even discuss the wedding. I'm not one of those folks who bangs on about weddings all the time, and ours is only going to be a very small and low-key one, but nevertheless it would have been nice to chat to a friend about dresses, hair and all the usual girly stuff. Whenever I mention anything she just changes the subject, and didn't even acknowledge that she had received her invitation until I asked her outright! I know she's been single for a long time and hates it, but then I've not exactly had a great time of things myself in recent years and I deserve a bit of happiness as much as she does. I'm not having a hen do, but when I suggested to a couple of people that maybe we could meet up for lunch or drinks a couple of weeks before the wedding, they just didn't even show any enthusiasm for that either.

I wonder if maybe it's me, that I'm boring, or that because I am in my forties it doesn't matter, but it matters to me! Even my mum doesn't seem very interested and instead just keeps banging on about how difficult it's going to be for her to get to the venue, and whether auntie-so-and-so will be able to come because maybe she's washing her hair that day blah blah blah.

I also feel that my mum is disappointed in me because I didn't lose lots of weight and get into a proper wedding dress (I'm pretty overweight and have decided to have a fifties style floral dress instead of a wedding dress). She thinks I should have gone on a major diet and lost lots of weight, and I can see her disappointment every time I go and visit.

Sorry for moaning and whining! I just needed to get this off my chest and feel a bit better about things xxx

16 replies

Latest activity by MrsV-wasMissB, 14 of July of 2015 at 09:48
  • Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

Aww that's a shame. You could try networking via Hitched and Facebook groups to finds brides in your area. I've come across brides who became such good friends with their new bride-friends that they ended up being invited to each others weddings!

Use this change in your life as an opportunity to meet new people and make new friends.

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

Awww! your post made me sad.

Sod them! who cares what they think. Your mum needs to wind her neck in. you'll look gorgeous and your husband will love it. She's not the one you're getting married to so it's none of her business.

Your friend might be struggling with you getting married. Is there someone else you could do the fun stuff with?

If not, involve your OH! there's nothing to say you cant share details with him and just enjoy the process together.

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

Just remember, your wedding is an event, it's one day. It's a big, special, important day to you - but not so much to everyone else.

Sounds to me like there's a reason behind your friend not acknowledging how special it is to you - can you try and get to it?

• Calella
    Beginner August 2016
    Calella ·
    • Hide content

I'm sorry you're having a rubbish time VP!

Hitched and facebook groups can be great. At least you're with likeminded people! I feel like not a lot of my friends are interested, but I do have quite a while to go til mine! Going on what you've said, it doesn't sound like you've got long to go!

Planning should be exciting, and having people to share in that excitement is special! You're always welcome to post here and we'll get excited about tableplans and aisle runners any day of the week!

x

• Lui
    Beginner October 2015
    Lui ·
    • Hide content

I’m really sorry to hear that your friend isn’t really into the wedding, however as Silly wrong has mentioned this may be due to something in the background. Maybe go for a nice afternoon tea or a meal just the two of you so you can make sure she’s ok. Hopefully this helps you both understand how the other one is feeling.

Who cares that you’re not wearing a white dress; recently I saw a bride post on a FB group a beautiful purple wedding dress. Just because it’s your wedding it doesn’t mean you have to wear white, the same with the dieting. Just because you’re getting married doesn’t mean you have to lose weight. Your OH proposed to you and loves you and everything about you.

P.s. i think the floral 50’s dress is a great idea, I’ve seen some beautiful ones recently!!

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My mum made similar noises (if you look at my report you'll see me and the dress I wore) but I made it clear to her that losing weight was not my priority and she got it after a while. So many people buy into the stereotype of wedding=major diet and it doesn't have to be that way. Tell your mum you're happy as you are and happy with your dress and you want her to be happy for you - sometimes people just need it said out loud. And don't think of yourself as 'overweight' - that word suggests an ideal you are failing to live up to. You may be big, but you'll still be a beautiful bride!

• BubbleBees
    Beginner August 2015
    BubbleBees ·
    • Hide content

You're doing the right thing. If you feel you need to, take your mum shopping and go with what you already have. 50's style is lovely.

I'm incapable of understanding anyone who buys a dress to 'slim' into - don't go that way - as was just said, love yourself as you are, your OH does!

• L
    Beginner October 2014
    LalaC1988 ·
    • Hide content

Well I'm excited to hear all about your wedding and so are many ladies on here we love a wedding :-) ;-)

Your wedding dress sounds a lovely idea and in regards to your weight so long as your happy and your husband to be loves you who really cares? (said in nicest possible way!)

• RogueSnowflake
    Beginner July 2015
    RogueSnowflake ·
    • Hide content

Hi Victoria,

I feel your pain, I don't have any real life friends that are into wedding stuff, but that's what my hitched family are for!

As for your mother, her generation were totally brainwashed by the 50s housewife mentality, and they are obsessed with being slim! I love my mum but I can't have a single conversation with her that doesn't eventually go back to weight. she has been miserably dieting her whole life and I seem to have followed in her footsteps but I've had enough. I've told her I'm not going to discuss weight any more.

My mother in law to be has confessed she gets it from her mother constantly. It's up to our generation to break the record!

• HelenSomerset
    Beginner September 2014
    HelenSomerset ·
    • Hide content

What Lala said. We're excited about your wedding!

I went for very 'traditional' wedding so I absolutely love hearing about people on here who are doing thinks that are different and unique. The 1950s dress sounds fabulous. Any ideas on your hair, make up and accessories yet? Are you going to continue with this era?

• L
    Beginner October 2014
    LalaC1988 ·
    • Hide content

Tell us more about the big day :-) when is it?

• Nims
    Beginner July 2015
    Nims ·
    • Hide content

My people have been pretty disinterested, too. It upset me a bit at first... But then I found hitched, made friends with other B2Bs and that helped loads. I'm one of the first of my friends to get married and I've made a mental note to be a lot better when it's their time!

• VictoriaPlum04
    Beginner August 2015
    VictoriaPlum04 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks to everyone for your lovely replies - they definitely cheered me up ?

I decided to give myself a kick up the bum and stop moaning. It's going to be a fab day and I won't let anyone else's negativity or criticism spoil it!

My H2B and I have decided to get ready together on the morning of the wedding and to travel to the register office together, so stuff convention ?

And you're right about the weight thing - it really doesn't matter at the end of the day. Yes, I would have liked to get rid of the weight I put on over the last couple of years, but it doesn't mean I can't look nice in the outfit I've bought. I'll be sure to put up a picture on here after the wedding so you ladies can see what I wore, but basically it's a floral dress with a pink petticoat underneath, and I've got little white kitten heel slingbacks and a white bolero/shrug to cover up my bingo wings! I'm not going for the full vintage look, but it'll be a bit of a nod to it anyway.

I was chatting to a girl at work about how I was feeling, and she said that it seems many people just don't realise that they are affecting you with their general attitude to things that are important to you. I think she's right, and some of us are just perhaps a little more thoughtful or sensitive to how people feel - that's just how it is and people aren't going to change. I guess I just feel disappointed that I finally seem to have realised that everything can so easily be about everyone else, and you have to be careful not to fall into that trap and just try to please others all the time.

I lost touch with someone who I thought was a good friend at the beginning of the year because I finally realised that in fact our friendship was all one sided, and I had to make the choice of whether to put up or shut up. So I'm going to carry on with the attitude of making allowances for people (as I expect them to for me), but not letting myself get bogged down in negativity ❤️

Thanks again all you lovely ladies xxx

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content

I too went through a time where I thought no one cared about the wedding except me, even my OH at times! I think you just have to accept that no one will be as excited as you and try not to take it personally. It's not your age, your weight, if you're 'boring' (I'm sure you're not!) I know it is disappointing but please don't think it is you that is the problem.

The weight thing I can't stand, I think any kind of body shaming is plain unacceptable, if THE BRIDE AND GROOM (NB- it shouldn't just be about the bride!) are happy how they are then why be miserable trying to lose weight because that's what some people expect? No offense to your mum but that is such a bad attitude to have, especially towards her own daughter.

• PrettyFlower90
    Beginner July 2016
    PrettyFlower90 ·
    • Hide content

I understand where you're coming from unfortunately. Due to our wedding not being at home, no one has shown any interest in my wedding. Even my mum hasn't been involved or interested as I think she's still annoyed it's not at home. It's been hard, and I've only got my fiancé and a close friend who are supporting me.

I think you just need to distance yourself, or not try as hard with people who aren't supporting you. I go on this forums a lot, and you realise that loads of people unfortunately go through problems with their planning and weddings etc, and you can talk through things with people! Just go with things you want to do, and as long as it's things you want (such as your dress) and things your fiance wants then try and go with that..

• F
    Beginner August 2015
    footie-widow ·
    • Hide content

As long as you and your H2B are excited then f*** everyone else! If you were boring your H2B wouldn't want to marry you, and he obviously thinks you're beautiful. Some people just like to find problems that aren't there. Everyone on here is excited and happy for you. Just enjoy the planning process-after all it's your and your H2B's big day, and as long as you're happy and marrying the man of your dreams, then you will have a fantastic day Smiley laugh

• MrsV-wasMissB
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsV-wasMissB ·
    • Hide content

Aww bless you. I do understand to a degree. My Mum has a lot of stuff going on with my brother at the moment that's taking over all her time, so even on my hen weekend this weekend it was mostly what she talked abut. Wedding doesn't seem THAT important.

I work with 7 men and 1 women. The women isn't overly bothered about girly stuff and the men don't give two hoots!

I don't have many friends either, not close ones. the 2 friends who are BMs are both H2B and my friends and are interested. My 3 closest friends from back home are interested but have also got their own biggies (oldest friends is pregnant and closest friend had her first baby in March).

Noones wedding is a big deal to anyone usually than those whos wedding it is. I've find hitched forums is a great way for me to let off my wedding steam and receive genuine interest. Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics