Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

*libby*
Beginner June 2011

noisy neighbours!!

*libby*, 19 January, 2012 at 20:41 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 20

We live in a flat, its not a block so we only have someone above us.

We can hear absolutley everything, their conversations, a cough, a sneeze, the toilet flush (and a lot worse) and i just cant stand the noise anymore!

we have lived here nearly 4 years and the neighbours werent home much and it wasnt a problem but the last few years its been terible. Right now they have a house full and it sounds like there pushing furniture around the living room whilst bowling, with a herd of elephants! i just cant bear it!

H has asked them to keep it down when they let the grandkids bounce on a trampoline in their living room above ours, ive emailed the council (we rent from the council) about how much noise we can hear (rather than the neighbours being noisy) as surely its not normal, his snoring even kept me awake last night!

Those of you in flats, can you hear your neighbours that much or do i need to talk to someone about some kind of soundproofing before i go mental!

20 replies

Latest activity by LeaLeigh, 20 January, 2012 at 20:47
  • Mrs Whippy
    Beginner September 2012
    Mrs Whippy ·
    • Hide content

The guy who lives above us plays some shite music REALLY loud - last week we were treated to Katie Melua - did you know there are 9 million bicycles in Bejing?! Grrrr!

To be honest, we don't hear too much apart from that, so we're pretty lucky. I fel your pain though!

• BumbleBrat
    BumbleBrat ·
    • Hide content

I used to live in an apartment and never heard any of my neighbours (Two up, one next to me). It was a very old (well built) building with high ceilings though, but I'm pretty sure you shouldn't be able to hear things that you are. I'd definitely speak to the council.

• stripeyrache
    Beginner February 2011
    stripeyrache ·
    • Hide content

The flat above us was recently sold. The old neighbours we only really heard when they were shagging!! But the new neighbours are much noisier. They seem to be doing constant DIY and have a TV in the bedroom that I can always hear the hum from.

The level of noise you're hearing definitely doesn't seem right. I certainly can't hear things in that much detail!

• *libby*
    Beginner June 2011
    *libby* ·
    • Hide content

I will have to talk to the council again then as we really love it here (apart from the noise) and couldnt afford anywhere else around here and i dont want to change our childrens schools so dont want to move to another area.

We have done so much work to this place and we were planning on buying it but the increasing noise puts us off, i worry that they could move out and someone worse could move in having partys all the time or something it would be unbearable.

stripeyrache....They use to have really noisy sex too, sounded like the bed was going to crash through the ceiling, it woke us up all the time until one night H grabbed his phone charger/plug and threw it up at the ceiling, it seemed to work!

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

In a flat you'll always here a little bit but what you've described sounds worse than you're average so I would suggest you're on the right track speaking to the council as your landlord, they should be able to measure the decibels etc. Do you know if they have carpets upstairs? I find this makes a big diff..

• stripeyrache
    Beginner February 2011
    stripeyrache ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

H and I used to refer to the husband of the couple that used to live above as 'The Jackhammer'. Enough said!!

• *libby*
    Beginner June 2011
    *libby* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

?

No, they have wooden flooring! she once apologised and said she regrets getting it as it must be so noisy for us but has never done anything about it, im a wimp though and wouldnt tell her to change it as its her flat and maybe she doesnt want carpet or cant afford it? she did say that years ago they got letters saying the council were considering soundproofing but it never happen which was why i emailed the council but got no reply so thought maybe i was over reacting, maybe i will have to keep on at them!

• Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This but the flat below us!

We hear their dog snore at night too...

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

Houdini and stripeyrach - at least you can get revenge in a few months with a screaming baby in the middle of the night!! ?

• Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I hope to be gone by then, we sold our place in September!

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

Definately inform your council. My friend lives in a private flat she owns, the council weren't even her landlord but they helped her out when she was in this situation, the had a special department for this kind of thing. It's an enviromental health/ Anti-social behaviour issue I believe.

I can only hear the folk in flat below sh*gging too, and their bedroom isn't even below mine! Every other time they are fine!

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh yes of course! Silly me

• Vikster79
    Beginner July 2011
    Vikster79 ·
    • Hide content

Luckily both our neighbours, one and above and one below are pretty quiet. I have heard music playing before from the bloke upstairs but its never on late enough for me to ask him to turn it down.

• 1234ABC
    Beginner
    1234ABC ·
    • Hide content

H and I are about to move next week as our current flat has developed a horrendous damp problem. Our upstair neighbour was OK though. Apart from at Christmas when she had her parents staying. They were like elephants, and they always got up at 6am and crashed and banged about for a good hour before it went quiet again. By then i was wide awake and VERY grumpy. I'm a light sleeper so this didn't impress me at all.

I'm a little concerned about how our new upstairs neighbours are going to be. i can appreciate it won't be silent, but i'm hoping i can live with it!

• stripeyrache
    Beginner February 2011
    stripeyrache ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

oh yes. i've already got a loudhaler on my list of baby essentials for exactly this purpose.

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

I used to live in a flat and my friend lived upstairs She and her then partner had a very volatile relationship and I used to hear them screaming at each other all the time. I had to go up to her a few times because I thought he was beating her up.

I have no practical advice for you, other than to move (to a detached, quiet country house - but that may require a lottery win first).

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

We used to live in a flat that sounds the same as yours (we also rented from the Council).

Our first neightbours were ok(ish). Obviously if you live in a flat you expect to hear some noise from the people upstairs but it was never too bad. But when they moved out, the guy that moved in was a nightmare. He used to have midnight raves with lots of people round. I had to call the police a few times, his music was so loud the police were banging on the door and he couldn't hear them so they had to break it down in the end.

We went to the Council about it and reported him. They sent a couple of warning letters to him and said that if it continued they would arrange for noise monitoring equipment to be put into our flat so that they could get evidence against him. By the time all that went through we had bought a house so I don't know whether anything would have been done about it or not.

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

We are in an upper cottage flat, and the one downstairs is empty at the moment as it's up for sale.

However, when our neighbour lived there we could hear a lot, even with us being upstairs. We can only imagine how bad it must be for the downstairs house, and so have good underlay and carpets throughout to try to be considerate.

Our neighbour was a quiet man in his 50s who lived alone, and we got on well with him. His snoring kept me awake some nights, we could hear him cough, his TV, etc, etc.

My mum (bottom flat) and gran (top flat) both live in flats and you can't hear a thing - I think some flats were just built better than others, ours was built in 1930s.

• LeaLeigh
    Dedicated September 2012
    LeaLeigh ·
    • Hide content

I am top attic flat in a really old Victorian manor. The neighbour next door, don't hear a thing.

Downstairs however love to have Domestics after 10:30pm. My personal favourite is 2am.

I am convinced I will come home to a crime scene one day. so tempted to push my business card under their door.

I am very concious of being nosy, had a small do for OH birthday last year and was on edge when guests still here at 11am.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics