Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Linz160
Beginner November 2013

Non religious wedding? How did you choose your registrar / celebrant?

Linz160, 21 April, 2013 at 09:19 Posted on Planning 0 9

Now that we have our venue booked, it occurred to me we better get a move on with organising someone to actually carry out the ceremony! How did you go about choosing who would conduct your wedding?

9 replies

Latest activity by Kentish Gal, 22 April, 2013 at 03:48
  • MrsSkinner2be
    Beginner May 2014
    MrsSkinner2be ·
    • Hide content

Umm maybe I'm not getting this properly but we didn't get a choice we had to phone the office closest to us and we've just booked a registrar to come to our venue

• Rhys Parker
    Rhys Parker ·
    • Hide content

With celebrants I think you can choose, at least that's how it worked for a humanist ceremony I shot.

They are not legally binding though unless in scotland, so you would have to marry at a registry office beforehand if you went the humanist route.

• Linz160
    Beginner November 2013
    Linz160 ·
    • Hide content

Sorry, should have added that I am from Scotland ... Humanist ceremonies are legal here, so we an choose a celebrant of our choice to come to the venue of our choice.

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

Ah man I wish England had the same law as Scotland, such a pain not being able to marry in the open outdoors.

• Skeptical78
    Beginner September 2013
    Skeptical78 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

^^ THIS! Would LOVE to have been able to actually get married on the beach!

• stompie
    stompie ·
    • Hide content

So annoying how restrictive it is in England, me and my partner live next door to our best friends so we spend all our time together, We would have loved from him to perform our ceremony but there is no flexibility at all in England, He cant even do the presentation of us as a married couple at the end!! Grr!!

• Linz160
    Beginner November 2013
    Linz160 ·
    • Hide content

There are quite a few fairly close by we can choose from. One who did my grandpa's funeral, so will maybe contact her.

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

I think the rules are similar in Scotland to Sydney, where we got married by a celebrant.

I just googled several & waited for replies. Some local council sites have recommendations/links, as do wedding related sites. I looked through their websites, previous photos of ceremonies & read any personal statements they had. Obviously those that didnt reply at all, I didnt bother trying to contact again. Those that did reply, I asked about cost & availability.

Due to time (& living in London) we didnt get to meet her prior to the wedding. If we could have met, I'd narrow the list down to say 2-3 you like & have a meeting to discuss things with each of them. Then you'd get more of a feel for whether they will conduct a ceremony to suit your personality/needs.

• Kentish Gal
    Beginner July 2013
    Kentish Gal ·
    • Hide content

I went on the Humanist website, saw someone whose 'blurb' seemed a good fit for us. We got on like a house on fire on the phone and booked after that. We've had two meetings since and feel we made the right choice. I wish it was a legal ceremony, we're having to do that separately though. Oh dear, two special days and two frocks Smiley winking

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics