Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner August 2016

Non-Alcoholic Toast Drinks

Mrs-Riley, 2 of July of 2015 at 09:47 Posted on Planning 0 33

So we've finally booked our venue for after out church ceremony! So excited! Having a gorgeous two course meal, and serving our cake as dessert. We also have a beautiful veranda, that overlooks Chester Racecourse!

Our contract does not include drinks, as we have been debating over what to provide for people. Our first thought was getting a number of bottles of wine for the tables, then we toyed with getting our own and looking at the corkage fees - but they were reaaally expensive!

Money is a big factor in the day, sadly. But we both would really like to provide drinks for people.

EDIT - in this post, I'm just talking about providing the drinks for the toast. There will be alcohol at the party, with a cash bar - we just won't be paying for any other drinks bu the toast drinks! Smiley smile

The place we're going offers a glass of prosecco for about £5.00 per glass, wine for about £15 per bottle and a jug of juice for £5.00 per jug. So I started to think...

How about lots of different jugs of fruit juices, then we take in our own purees and sauces, fruit and little cocktail umbrellas, and our toast drink could be non-alcoholic cocktails - that people can make themselves. It'd provide some entertainment - as we're not having a DJ - and I'll make little recipe cards up myself and decorate the table to fit with our coastal theme.

We asked the wedding co-ordinator and she is more than happy for us to do this.

How would you feel if you were offered a non-alcoholic cocktail for a toast drink? Would you think the bride and groom were a bit cheap?

33 replies

Latest activity by Teal, 6 of July of 2015 at 20:24
  • S
    Beginner July 2015
    S&K2015 ·
    • Hide content

Not at all!

I think that's a lovely idea, a real talking point and something that i've not seen before - Go for it Smiley smile

Edit...

Im guessing that the venue has some sort of bar so people can buy their own alcohol if they want to?

• Kamila27
    Beginner April 2016
    Kamila27 ·
    • Hide content

Hmmm... I would probably prefer a "proper" wine or champagne, but...

Non-alcoholic parties and weddings are not uncommon, you don't need to be in some AA group to opt for that. In fact there is a tendency among healthy life style thinking people to try to provide an alcohol-free wedding reception, or just any kind of party.

I think if you let your guests know in advance, maybe include some nice information in your wedding invitations about how you love the idea of healthy, sober party and challenge people to have the time of their lives without any 'chemical support', it could work better than good Smiley smile

To put all above together, if you want it - do it, but let people prepare for that thought and it will be great.

• Calella
    Beginner August 2016
    Calella ·
    • Hide content

I think it's definitely something different! I've never seen it before anyway. I've seen some brides that have done different kinds of hot chocolate, depending on when your wedding is it could be a nice idea!

We're providing prosecco, we can get it wholesale and save around £8 a bottle against the venues prices. A lot of our family don't drink so we're going to have orange juice so they can have a bucks fizz instead, and Schloer for the kids and tea totals! Our venue said they wouldn't charge us for providing our own schloer so seemed like a good idea!

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

Ultimately it is completely up to you and what you think your guests would appreciate or what falls within budget.

Personally I would really like it as i'm not really an alcohol drinker, but we did shoot a dry wedding before and there was a lot of complaining amongst the guests. If your guests have the opportunity to purchase alcohol if they would like to, then I shouldn't think you'd have a problem at all ?

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

I think this is a nice idea! Why not - it's unusual! I like it...

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

I think you should go for it! A lot of toast drinks get wasted anyway - though the couple never know.

I had a non-alcoholic reception as ours was held in a Temperance Hall and it's on the deeds of the building that no alcohol could be served there. We've never been big drinkers so didn't care!

We had a fruit punch served from a large glass bowl instead.

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content

Sorry I don't like it. I'd be wondering where the alcohol was! Unless you're t-total normally I'd find it odd.

Bucks fizz would be a cheaper alternative...

• M
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrs-Riley ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Think I've confused everyone a bit!

We will have a bar in the room with us, where guests can drink alcohol until their hearts content! Smiley tongue We are only paying for the toast drinks for the party - as we can't afford an open bar.

So it would just be the toast drink that was non-alcoholic. But there'd be a bar there if someone wanted to add a cheeky shot of vodka they'd bought...

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content

At the minimum i think you should be providing a toast drink and personal I don't think you can toast with orange juice.

• Calella
    Beginner August 2016
    Calella ·
    • Hide content

I agree with BB. I'd be disappointed if I was given a fruit juice for the toast - personal opinion!

We're giving our guests the option of a sparkling wine, bucks fizz, schloer or if they want an OJ that's fine too.

I'm not sure that your venue would charge £5 a head for a toast drink. Our venue is £25 for a bottle of sparkling wine, you can get at least 6 glasses out of a bottle. Our corkage is £11 per bottle, then we plan to buy our own, saving quite a bit of money.

Might be worth discussing your options with the venue?

• S
    Beginner September 2016
    Shikaka1984 ·
    • Hide content

It wouldn't bother me at all. In fact i love the idea and might steal it for my wedding. ?

• Karen84
    Beginner July 2016
    Karen84 ·
    • Hide content

I have to agree with Calella and BB. I think if you're only providing the toast drink it should at least be alcoholic.

One tip I remember seeing here before was that if your corkage charge is 'per bottle,' then get larger bottles (i.e. magnums of prosecco) because you'll need fewer of them.

• Calella
    Beginner August 2016
    Calella ·
    • Hide content

Out of curiosity - will you and your OH also have the mocktails for your toast drinks?

• M
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrs-Riley ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Sadly that is the case, as we are getting a very good deal on our food and there is zero room hire cost - so I'm guessing they have ramped up the cost on the drinks to make up for that.

I would understand people being annoyed if, for instance, we only provided one sandwich and people hadn't eaten all day - but I don't see alcohol as a necessity for people to have. Myself, I won't be drinking much, as I want to enjoy the day.

• M
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrs-Riley ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yep, definitely. I'm excited to make lots of different ones!

• M
    Beginner September 2015
    MrsEdisToBe ·
    • Hide content

It's a nice idea and I can see that it could be fun to do. I wouldn't think the bride and groom cheap but I would be slightly disappointed there wasn't a glass of something "proper" x

• Calella
    Beginner August 2016
    Calella ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's fair enough! If you were having champagne and giving your guests fruit juice I'd be a lot more unhappy about it!

I would worry about the potential mess a bit, but that's just me. I'm accident prone and would end up with cranberry juice down my dress!

I've been to weddings where there hasn't even been a toast drink, people have just gone with whatever they'd bought at the bar before being seated.

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content

£15 per bottle of wine isn't bad, people could toast with wine? I think you might find people ignore the juice anyway and go and get bottles of wine from the bar. We went to a wedding where no wine was provided and nearly every table bought a couple of bottles between them.

• K
    Beginner April 2017
    KJHLee ·
    • Hide content

I like it. I'd never dream of complaining about the way a bride and groom want to do their own wedding. It is their day. I'm not a big drinker, and I hate wine/prosecco/champagne for the most part. I sip my toast glass at weddings and the rest is wasted. I'm actually the person that is disappointed when I go to a reception and there isn't any soft drinks on the table but water.

I think that since you have the bar in the room, and alcohol is still an option provided people are willing to pay for it themselves then there is no problem personally.

• Karen84
    Beginner July 2016
    Karen84 ·
    • Hide content

Calella said what I couldn't put my finger on, I'd be worried about the 'mess' element and people slopping jugs of juice everywhere, especially if they've already had a few drinks. For me, if I've already started drinking wine over dinner, I wouldn't look twice at a non-alcoholic cocktail - sorry.

Also, how would the logistics work? Would the jugs be on the tables, or would you have a juice bar? In which case by the time (say) 50 people have gone up to make up their cocktails, the first lot will have already finished their drinks and the speeches might well be over too. Alternatively, if you were having a few jugs on each table, plus buying the additional bits, you mind end up not saving as much money as you hope. Just a thought.

• BubbleBees
    Beginner August 2015
    BubbleBees ·
    • Hide content

Weird, I thought I was going to see a post asking for non-alcoholic alternatives for those who don't drink.

Personally, I'd find it odd if a glass of fizzy wasn't available for the toast for those who wanted it even if that was the only booze provided. Not having that option would come over as cheap, or maybe that's just me.

That said, the only soft drink I drink is water - I can't stand sodas or flavoured water concoctions, and a small fruit juice is for breakfast, not to go with a meal or make a toast - but again, that's probably just me. Smiley smile

• A
    Beginner May 2016
    Arabella16 ·
    • Hide content

I think it's a great idea!! I have never heard of any rule that says you can't toast a celebration without the drink being made of alcohol... It's raising a toast to you two as a couple and your future together, the content of the drink is completely irrelevant IMO.

Its your wedding and up to you how you do it, there's no wrong way, so if a non alcoholic drink works out best then go for it! As you said the guests have the bar so they have an option to get a different drink if they like... For example I don't like champagne so the last wedding I went to I said no the the glass that was offered so it didn't get wasted and used my vodka cranberry instead...

I really wouldn't worry, you are giving your guests a lovely meal and fruit drink... And really they should be there to help celebrate your wedding and toast your happiness... Not for a free glass of champagne :-) x

• BubbleBees
    Beginner August 2015
    BubbleBees ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

True!

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Nope I totally agree. I don't see any adults going out for a celebratation and having a glass of juice with their meal.

We're providing two welcome drinks, two glasses of wine with the meal and a toast drink and I'm worried that's not enough. Our guests will be spending a lot to come to our wedding so I wouldn't expect them to pay for all their own alcohol as well.

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

True but at the same time guests shouldn't be expect to pay to an event that you've invited them to so if you don't want to provide a toast drink don't have a toast!

• hellandglory
    Rockstar October 2019
    hellandglory ·
    • Hide content

I'd worry the majority will ignore the juices and go to the bar - meaning it'll be a bit of a waste.

Great idea in theory, but i don't think it would translate well.

• Karen84
    Beginner July 2016
    Karen84 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This, and I also think you shouldn't lose sight of how much it already costs for a guest to attend a wedding, i.e. travel, accommodation, childcare, clothes, gift, etc.

It shouldn't be a tit-for-tat thing, but if I'd spent a lot of money to get to someone's wedding and was then given a glass of orange juice for the toast, I'd be a bit put out. It would be less conspicuous to have no toast drinks at all and when it comes to the speeches your guests can just naturally toast with whatever they have in front of them.

• M
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrs-Riley ·
    • Hide content

You have a point about this really. I might try and see if it would be possible for the hotel to put someone there to serve the drinks, to avoid mess! But then it would take away the entertainment factor though...

• M
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrs-Riley ·
    • Hide content

I definitely think champagne or sparkling wine is an acquired taste, and not everyone likes it, so could definitely be a waste to get a glass for everyone! I totally agree with you on the whole celebration not free stuff thing!

• M
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrs-Riley ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is a fair point actually.

Definitely something to think about - thankfully we don't have to sort the drinks until a month in advance.

• snow bride
    Beginner June 2016
    snow bride ·
    • Hide content

We're having a non alcoholic toast! :-)

Were having a fizzy mix that's limeade and grenadine. Stupidly simple but it takes lovely and looks super pretty in a glass.

Plus its 50p a glass :-)

• M
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrs-Riley ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks for that insight!

I've now also asked my events co-ordinator whether we could have something like elderflower and tonic.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics