Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner June 2014

Non-amplified music at a wedding reception

Marianne4, 12 April, 2013 at 13:50 Posted on Planning 0 2

Hello all,

My finacee and I have found a beautiful and very flexible venue that has one stipulation - they don't allow amplified music.

They will allow background music to be played on an ipod during the meal and for a singer to have a microphone but that is it.

Has anyone see this before and do you know what kind of band would work so that you can hear them and still have a good dance?

We don't really want to have a barn dance.

Thanks for your help and advice

Marianne

2 replies

Latest activity by Marianne4, 12 April, 2013 at 14:17
  • ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

That's a slightly weird condition. "Amplified" music doesn't mean "loud enough to annoy the neighbours" music. And conversely, "non-amplified" sound isn't necessarily "quiet" (get enough instruments together and you can have a massive sound). And if they allow a singer to have a mike, why wouldn't they allow a whole band to have amps?

Can you ask them if they have a decibel limit? That might help with your search.

As for types of bands, if you want acoustic, you're going to need big ensembles to generate any kind of atmosphere.

• M
    Beginner June 2014
    Marianne4 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the advice and I know very strange - apparently it is in their planning permission - as it is a restored barn, I don't think they are officially allowed a singer to be miked but would let it slide.

We were thinking of having a ska/soul band anyway so hopefully the sound would be loud enough - just a bit worried about the instruments balancing

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics