Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

butterpopcorn
Beginner April 2013

Non-matching bridesmaids' dresses... but just two

butterpopcorn, 28 March, 2012 at 18:40 Posted on Planning 0 19

Hi,

We're having quite a casual, laid back wedding next April and I quite like to idea of non-matching yet somehow tied together bridesmaids' dresses, like this sort of thing -

However, I'm only having two bridesmaids - my sister and my closest friend. Would non-matching bridesmaids' dresses look weird on just two bridesmaids - like they're just wearing two random dresses!? Anyone else having non-matching?

19 replies

Latest activity by olderbride, 31 March, 2012 at 23:22
  • teapotty
    Beginner October 2013
    teapotty ·
    • Hide content

I like the idea of having different dresses but I worried about the bridesmaids not looking part of the bridal party on photographs etc. You could get 2 dresses in same material but different styles?

• 2b_MrsB
    Beginner June 2013
    2b_MrsB ·
    • Hide content

WSS

• L
    Beginner June 2013
    lydeep ·
    • Hide content

I am having a similar dilemma with my BM's. I want to have them in 2 colours, 2 in purple and 2 in pink, but at the moment I only have 3 BM's and I want 4 but I can't decide on the 4th one I have someone I want to ask but I am not 100% sure they want to be a BM so I don't want to put them on the spot and feel obliged to say yes.

• xMissyLoux
    Beginner September 2012
    xMissyLoux ·
    • Hide content

Personally I'd much rather see BM's in matching dresses, especially the fewer there are so that it is evident that they are the bridesmaids but that's just my opinion.

If you only have 2, do you have a twin colour scheme? Maybe you could have a pink dress and a purple dress for example and then have everything else in pinks and purple especially flowers. Or have different dresses and colours that incorporate a little bit of each others' colour like this:

Hope this makes sense and helps a little!

• L
    Beginner April 2012
    LEMBS8 ·
    • Hide content

I'm having non-matching dresses in shades of pink. I think as long as there is something that ties them together - the same sash maybe or a similar tone of the colour - it will be fine.

• S
    SarahThompson ·
    • Hide content

I had non matching

I only had 2 BM (well, strictly speaking I had one BM and one MOH!)

MOH wore a pale pink dress. BM wore an ivory dress with a pale pink sash. I wore an Ivory wedding dress Smiley smile

It can work with just the 2 Smiley smile and their dresses were different, but it still worked - I cant say if that is because the MOH was an adult and the BM a child (of about 9) though

• M
    Beginner September 2013
    MrsB2013 ·
    • Hide content

Im thinking this way aswell as im having two and they are totally different shapes. I said they can have their own dress as long as the designer and material is the same and Ill get them in the same colour hope that looks good !

• greenbean
    Beginner July 2012
    greenbean ·
    • Hide content

I like the idea of having non matching BM's. I think it looks really ncie in pictures. I see your dilemma in it being easier with more BMs. But if there is something that ties them together it will look fab. But then if they have the same bouquet and matching jewellery this will go a long way too!

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

I'm a big fan of the same dress in different colours, but not a fan of completely different dresses all together.

But it's your wedding, so if you like it, then that's all that matters! ?

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

I think non matching BMs look fab. I love the BM dresses in the sex and the city film

• lady_lyla
    Beginner September 2013
    lady_lyla ·
    • Hide content

I think it's really down to personal choice.

We have 4 bridesmaids and have decided that they can chose their own little black dress number - all of my BMs are different shapes and sizes and I want them all to feel comfortable and happy rather than try and make them all match.

One of my friends is model like gorgeous and she will look amazing in anything she wears, so don't feel comfortable making my sister who is shy and self concious wear the same dress as I know she wouldn't feel good about herself.

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

My personal opinion is that non-matching BMs look better when there's lots of them. What about two dresses from the same range in the same style/different colour or same colour/different style?

• lurvlytwink
    Beginner June 2012
    lurvlytwink ·
    • Hide content

I've got three in black dresses that are all different and i think it looks really nice. two are in the same material one isnt. they alll have silver shoes, silver bits in their hair, the same jewellery (and oddly the same neckline on the dresses) which ties them all together x

• BridalButterfly2012
    Beginner June 2012
    BridalButterfly2012 ·
    • Hide content

I had trouble initially with my BM situation, i initially only had 1 now have a MOH and a BM (long Story) and my MOH already had her BM dress when my BM was added so i had to try match the 2. In the end i decided to relax and have 2 different dresses. Well when i say different they are both an identical colour match and shape and length just 2 different materials but then there is a 12 yr age gap between the 2 girls so i think the 2 different types shows their individuality while still fitting in with my colour theme and looking like the BM's. I now feel much better about it and know the girls will look lovely.

• A
    Beginner September 2012
    amanda66 ·
    • Hide content

I'm having my friend as MOH and her dress is pale pink.

Our daughter is bridesmaid and will be 5 when we get married and her dres is ivory the same as my wedding dress.

I quite like the pictures you've shown but don't know if it works with just two adult BM's (Sorry if that's not what you want to hear!). However I do love the picture a PP posted with the two dresses in same styles but complementing colours.

Good luck with whatever you decide - if you love it then go for it, it's your day and do what makes you happy Smiley smile xx

• 2b_MrsB
    Beginner June 2013
    2b_MrsB ·
    • Hide content

I've not started looking into bridesmaids dresses yet, but I suspect when I do they will all be different, due to the age range of the bridesmaids, I have my MOH (older than she wants to be lol ) and 2 younger ones aged 14 and 8. I'll be tying all of them together hopefully using the same colours or fabrics.

• nena_oveja
    Beginner October 2012
    nena_oveja ·
    • Hide content

Personally i am not a huge fan of anything too "matchy", as long as they don't clash I think different dresses look great! I have given an open bridesmaid invitation to my 4 girl cousins (i am 99% certain only 2 of them will take me up on it lol) and they are just going to wear their own favourite little black dresses (i think anyway, this might change to brown ? )

• Mrs-HFA
    Beginner December 2012
    Mrs-HFA ·
    • Hide content

I'm having a MOH and BM, one is 40 the other 16. They're gonna be wearing black long dresses and I'm happy for them to be different (preferably the same material) tho I'm more keen to have them comfortable in the style of dress they're wearing than them having to be matched.

• O
    Beginner August 2012
    olderbride ·
    • Hide content

I'm having two adult BMs (20 and 16) and a FG (4). The FG is wearing ivory as am I. My oldest BM is wearing cobalt blue with a pale blue sash. The othet is wearinf the same style but in pale blue with a cobalt sash and the \fg dress is trimmed with flowers in the pale blue. They all tie in together IMO yet they are each individual

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics