Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

MrsV-wasMissB
Beginner August 2015

norethisterone has turned me into a demon!!!

MrsV-wasMissB, 11 of June of 2015 at 19:53 Posted on Planning 0 26

I suffer PMDD anyway but usually have my "control mode" particularly in environments like at work. I can also usually keep my panic attacks at bay too, they happen 1 in every 4 - 6 months. I have angry months, despressive months (not suite suicide but "why am i bothering with life, when i can just go"), nasty months, teary months, even normal months. Very unpredictable. But this is 2-3 days every 30 days and my partner and i have learnt to live with it.

However..... 3 days on this substance and I have blown it. At work I have been rude and unprofessional to collegues, and have been very snappy at my boss (he can often be awkwardbut i usually control myself). I'm dreading tomorrow.

I got home to the news my fella (whos off on his stag weekend in the morning) is working late yet again (unpaid) like he doesn most nights and I just lost it. I could barely breathe, a plate got smashed, a cup smashed, a few screams and things thrown later. I am home alone so phoned my friend who calmed me down. Now i'm calm i feel almosyt normal again although my heart is beating very fast. I recognise this as a "very bad period" which I have in the past, at times where H2B has had to hold my arms to stop me hurting myself, but never have I felt this overwhelmed.

This above is not "me". I am a very nice natured person, cant get mad or angry at others, easily let things slide over my head etc..... so these few days are laways hard. but this is lethal. I actually wanted to hurt someone earlier!!! I've texted my boss to explain (wouldnt ever normally approach him about this!!!!) but feel i need advice on work tomorrow and my temperment...

Does anyone have any experience with this norethisterone and side effects etc?

26 replies

Latest activity by lilbeth, 12 of June of 2015 at 18:37
  • Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

I've never taken it but I'd wonder why you would take it if you already suffer with your 'normal' hormones?

• MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

I can't take any type of contraceptive pill - they all give me mood swings at a bipolar level - but I've never experienced anything like that. If the side effects are that bad, I think you should go back to your GP asap.

• Nims
    Beginner July 2015
    Nims ·
    • Hide content

Stop taking it, like right now. Synthetic hormones are no good whatsoever for people who already have problems regulating their mood/mental health/hormones. Did you take it so you could avoid a period on your honeymoon? Seriously, I think you're better off having a period than behaving like that.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I mentioned these possibilities last time you started a thread about the whole menstrual cycle topic - it's precisely why I didn't bother trying it. Stop right now and just accept that you might have your period on your wedding day. It's not the end of the world.

• Chucklevision
    Beginner July 2015
    Chucklevision ·
    • Hide content

I would suggest you stop taking it as others have suggested as from what you describe it's turning you into a bit of a looper.

I would perhaps just treat tomorrow as the new day it will be. If your boss is annoyed by your behaviour he'll pick you up on it and ask if you're OK? Or he should anyway it's his job. That said, he'll probably just say keep it under control and out of the office.

Out of interest what does your OH do?

• miss_winter14
    Beginner February 2014
    miss_winter14 ·
    • Hide content

I was clearly a lucky one as i've used this before and despite having SEVERE bpd, i was fine :/

you really need to see your gp chick- you can't go on like that, for your sake and for the relationships of those around you. your oh i'm sure is very understanding but others may not be. if you lost it in the supermarket or something it could cause a lot of trouble.

call your gp in the morn- good luck!!!

• L
    Beginner October 2014
    LalaC1988 ·
    • Hide content

I don't know a awful lot of the science behind these sort of things granted but I don't think it takes a science expert to urge you not to take these pills if they are doing this on the outer God knows what they are doing to your insides. Hun seriously would having a period (you have probably had them from the last 14 years or so anyway!!) be that much of a problem that you need to do this to yourself? I know it's nice to be able to celebrate your marriage that night /on honeymoon etc but to be behaving so wrecklessly on them might result in a job loss and that would probably mean no wedding etc anyway. Stop off at asda tomorrow pick a big box of cookies in and appeal to the softie in the office (there is one) who has probably been there done that you'll be fine

• MrsV-wasMissB
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsV-wasMissB ·
    • Hide content

Maybe... however I would of been "due" the day of my wedding. As mentoned the 2-3 day run up to my period starting are the worst. Sometimes normal sometimes terrible and sometimes worse. Pain wise and emotionally wise. Its hard for me and for h2B individually as like I say, I am a normal, very mild mannered, happy individual every other day but those days and both of us agreed that in the run up to the wedding, with added stress, we couldn't take the risk. In the frame of mind I get in, I could easily stomp out of the ceremony in a mood if someone says the wrong thing!! yes, I know sounds stupid ey. but I have no control over my actions those few days.

After speaking with H2B when he finaly got home, armed with a chippy tea, (whos on his stag this weekend, good for him to be out the way ey haha!!) we have said whilst this is difficult time and I'm clearly suffering, its going to be of good benefit for the wedding day and the honeymoon times (which would of been smack bang in the middle of it) to continue to delay it.

This weekend I am taking measures to calm. Shopping for a hen weekend dress tonight after the gym, tomorrow I have another makeup/hair trial and final dress fitting (altho put on 3 lbs this week following birthday celebrations!) which could go either way but my 2 bms who will be with me, know how I am atm, then sunday meeting a friend for lunch followed by a hot bath when I get home.

Thanks for those who commented positively. Boss asked how I am when I walked in.

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content

I don't know much about it and didn't realise you need to take it this early. I've just got the pill to stop my period for hen do and wedding/honeymoon so not going to start taking it until start of July. Slightly worried now about how it will affect me! Is there nothing else you can take or will they all have the same effect? There's other things that you could try, maybe it's worth just having a word with your G.P. My periods are very heavy (tmi!) so I understand why you'd really want to avoid it if possible.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

They're all hormones so will all mess with your hormones to some extent. Like the contraceptive pill, some people can get on with different combinations, some people can't take them at all. I took the pill for years before I had to stop for leg surgery, but when I tried again it just wasn't happening for me. So you might find the same with this.

I don't get why having your period on your wedding day is so awful. Yes it's an inconvenience but surely it always is to some extent? As I mentioned in the previous thread, I suffer terribly with PMT and I didn't get it at all on my wedding day or the day before. I was too distracted by nerves and excitement.

• L
    Beginner October 2014
    LalaC1988 ·
    • Hide content

Have you spoken to a doctor about this, I find it odd they would give you something like that

• MrsV-wasMissB
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsV-wasMissB ·
    • Hide content

Yes I had a gp apt and we talked through everything. they have a record of my symptoms, and I was also worried as I'm on tranexemic acid for the pain and heaviness. it was all done properly.

• miss_winter14
    Beginner February 2014
    miss_winter14 ·
    • Hide content

Well you sound resolute so fair play for that, but please do consider the gp if things don't abate or god forbid if they get worse.

a friend of a friend was ARRESTED because of bad PMT, and that was just her own hormones, not induced by tablets ones. you want to celebrate your WEDDING, not be turning up at the police station to answer charges!

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

First of all, my question is would this time be your normal time that you would find difficult because of the PMDD? If so, could it just be that the norethisterone has exacerbated your symptons?

Secondly, you need to visit the GP, not just for your own benefit, but also because it is important to report side effects of any medication.

I also wonder about the fact that your h2b is willing for you to put yourself through this, and also risk the safety of your work colleagues, just for the 'benefit' of your wedding night. Surely it would be better for both of you if you weren't going crazy during your wedding?

I apologise if that last sounds harsh, please accept it as concern for your mental health and not a criticism.

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I know they're all hormone based but surely if you try different one's, one may have a lesser effect on you. For me personally I think I would feel uncomfortable and wouldn't be able to relax on my wedding day if I was on my period but I'm not saying I would still take it if I was having the op's issues!

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Possibly. However depending on where you are in your cycle right now, you might have left it a little late to experiment. Worth looking into though I guess. Like I say, for me personally, I just didn't wanna take the risk of turning into a hormonal nightmare. I was aware I had my period, like one always is, but I wouldn't say I was uncomfortable...however, I didn't wear a wedding gown and that may make a significant difference.

• MrsV-wasMissB
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsV-wasMissB ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

yes this would be the normal time for "symptoms"... Pont taken re. reporting of side effects, didn't think of that, I need to go the medical centre anyway to pick up a card so will mention then.

Well, truth be told H2B did lean towards stopping them. He said he hates to see me like this and its not fair on him either. It was me "selling" the fact I should stay on them. Due off a week yesterday so i'll see over weekend. Only had 1 moment of on the verge but I went to the toilet and did a breathing technique my friend etxted to me this morning and its helped.

• MrsV-wasMissB
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsV-wasMissB ·
    • Hide content

May I just say its nhot just being ON the period on my wedding day. No I don’t fancy bleeding in a big hot light-coloured wedding but I could deal with that. I could even find a way to change my pads in the dress if I really tried!! I suffer badly with heavy and painful periods. The Tranexamic acid helps reduce the bleed but I have to stay dosed up on ibroprofen too… again, probably could deal with taking 16 pills during the wedding. That said, if I can prevent having to “put up” with the above on the day I’d look at doing so…..

But coupled with the way I suffer INSIDE as well in the lead up to the day I come “on”, I just simply can't do it. I know me inside out and it would ruin my day.

I understand where you coming from and the concerns tho..

Smiley sad

• M
    Beginner July 2015
    MrsWebberToBe ·
    • Hide content

I'm getting married in 3 weeks and plan on taking norethisterone too as I suffer really bad and don't fancy my wedding day and honeymoon ruined. I've taken it in the past when needed and although it's not ideal and I usually end up putting on a few pounds, it's certainly better than the risk of awful periods on special occasions Smiley smile

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

Poor you.

• L
    Beginner October 2014
    LalaC1988 ·
    • Hide content

I don't know the ins and outs, but there are defo different types of pills for different hormones. I personally choose not to take anything at all, purely because I want children I'm going to struggle and just want my body as natural as possible for when.we actively start ttc so I don't have much female hormone so I can have a special type of pill, in honestly it all blends into one when the doctors talk to me about it.

Anyway apologies for derailing.

Please also take take what i said as genuine concern for you, I also have these days where I am pure anger, and days when I just want to sob for no reason or something completely not worth it so just want to say you're not alone.

• Nims
    Beginner July 2015
    Nims ·
    • Hide content

I'm confused by this thread. There's only one answer, we've all said it, but you won't hear it. So what did you make this thread for? Sympathy?

• MrsV-wasMissB
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsV-wasMissB ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Nope not sympathy. Just understanding and advice from those with experience.

• MrsV-wasMissB
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsV-wasMissB ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

not at all, its good to know I'm not alone, and not everyone is so judgemental. Smiley smile

• Nims
    Beginner July 2015
    Nims ·
    • Hide content

I'm super judgemental so don't mind being called it, but that's SUPER rude of you to call the other people in this thread that. Everyone has tried to help you and offer suggestions as to why it's totally insane when you have a hormone disorder to take synthetic hormones. Seriously. Absolutely bonkers. I personally tend not to do things which are clearly detrimental to my health, wellbeing, and safety of others (smashing dishes etc is totally not ok behaviour!) so I can't offer you the 'understanding' that you're looking for. Soz.

• Chucklevision
    Beginner July 2015
    Chucklevision ·
    • Hide content

I don't think people are judging you (well except nim, who held her hands up) people are mostly concerned- the medication is clearly having a detrimental impact on your well-being and whilst I appreciate your other issues around your monthlies surely it must be better than the impact that this pill is currently having on you?

Ultimately people have tried to gently suggest perhaps taking this medication is a bad idea but ultimately it's your decision.

I wish you luck

• lilbeth
    Beginner July 2015
    lilbeth ·
    • Hide content

I think it's harsh to say people are being judgemental. You yourself have talked about being out of control and not able to stop yourself while taking particular medication and people are worried for your safety, the safety of others and how this might effect your life. If you don't want to listen to them that is fine. But why share a post if you are going to ignore/ argue with all the sensible and mature advice that you've been given from the experienced people you were looking for?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics