Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Beginner August 2011

North East - Any recommendations would be great!

jm2b, 13 June, 2010 at 18:06 Posted on Planning 0 20

Hi guys

We're not getting married til next August but keep getting told that we should start getting things sorted sooner rather than later if we want choices. Does anyone have any recommendations for any reasonably priced suppliers in the north east area? Venue's sorted so next I'm thinking we need to source: photographer, florist and entertainment. Any help would be greatly apreciated. Have looked at loads of websites but personal recommendations would be fantastic as they all seem to look great!

Thanks in advance. x

20 replies

Latest activity by Sandysounds, 12 July, 2010 at 23:40
  • greenleaf
    greenleaf ·
    • Hide content

Hi Jm2b

Your right to get things sorted sooner rather than later, you can plan your budget better and get exactly what you want.

What area of the north east are you looking at? and what venue is it you've chosen?

• J
    Beginner August 2011
    jm2b ·
    • Hide content

We're getting married in my home town of South Shields. Ceremony at our local church and then reception at the Marsden Grotto - we wanted to stay close to home and wanted something a little bit different and totally laid-back. http://www.marsden-grotto.co.uk/ in case anyone wants a quick peek!

• G
    Beginner
    getlaced ·
    • Hide content

Hi there i dont have any reccomendations for suppliers etc but just wanted to say hi as im a fellow south shields girl!! which church have you picked? were getting married in washington so not very local! good luck Smiley smile Smiley smile

• Naboo
    Beginner
    Naboo ·
    • Hide content

Sorry I have no idea about that area but just had a sneaky peek at the link you posted and I have to say that it looks fab!! How unusual and I am totally with u on the laid back wedding vibe x

• G
    Beginner
    getlaced ·
    • Hide content

Hey im not sure if your having balloons and chair covers in your venue but iv just spoken to a lady in surderland to can beat my venues quote for chair covers and sashes by half! she also does the balloon arches which we want for our evening reception at a good rate, if its any help ill pass on the number Smiley smile

• videogal
    videogal ·
    • Hide content

Hi I'm not from the NE but just wanted to say that you chosen venue looks so lovely!!! I've not worked alongside anyone as far up as South Sheilds so can't really make any recommendations but there will no doubt be someone on Hitched who can suggest some suppliers!

Have lots of fun planning are you having any kind of theme that goes with the history of South Shields/caves etc? I last went to South Shields 18 years ago. My SIL moved up there but has since moved to Scotland. xx

• J
    Beginner August 2011
    jm2b ·
    • Hide content

Hi guys, sorry have been offline for a few weeks as computer died on us. Back here now so catching up on everything. Thanks for all of your replies. Not really sure on theme, was thinking seaside kind of thing as will be right on the beach - cave theme sounds interesting to tie in with venue but wouldn't have a clue where to start. Having had a peek at the posts since I've been offline seems to be a few seaside ideas I could borrow - if people don't mind!! We'll see, guess we've got a while to decde, another 13 months to go til the big day!!

• Sandysounds
    Sandysounds ·
    • Hide content

Love the venue....very quirky and different. A seaside theme would suit...... or something totally bizarre like Flintstones!

With 13 months to go I'd definitely start looking for your entertainment. We tend to get get booked up to 2 years in advance so your choice is diminishing the longer you leave it. Can I suggest you pop in an enquiry to www.weddingdja.co.uk and www.mobiledjdisco.co.uk . I help run both. The way it works is that you put in an enquiry and our members contact you directly detailing their services and prices (which can difer greatly). Then you can look through who's available for your date and what they offer, have a chat with them on the phone or arrange a meet up before making your choice.

Hope that helps

• lisaloulou
    Beginner
    lisaloulou ·
    • Hide content

Hi there! And welcome to Hitched!

Remember that photographers and videographers are usually happy to travel quite far so if you see some work you like and they are a little further afield don't let that put you off.

A lot of other suppliers, such as stationery, jewellery etc, will be able to provide you with products wherever they are in the country. I'm a jewellery designer down South but seem to have a lot of brides from Scotland come to me! There are testimonials from many a happy customer around the country here https://www.hitched.co.uk/wedding-jewellery/hampshire/lou-lou-belle-designs_4476.htm and on my website www.louloubelle.co.uk

Happy planning!

Lisa

• GeordieBarbie
    Beginner May 2010
    GeordieBarbie ·
    • Hide content

Woo! Welcome to Hitched! I'm a Jarra lass! Love the Grotto!! I take my husband there everytime we make a visit back home!!

Where abouts in the grotto are you having it? Can you book out the caves bar??

If I'd have got married back up home it's somewhere i'd have lookd at! ?

• MarieMarie1980
    Beginner August 2010
    MarieMarie1980 ·
    • Hide content

Hi there, I'm getting married inTeesside but using some suppliers from further afield.

The band we are using is the Dean Solomon Band based in Darlington - They cover the whole of the north east tho.

We are using Beckwith Events (based in Seaham) for the chair covers.

I think I have been to your venue before - Is it where the Elephants foot used to be??

Mx

• laura@smooch
    laura@smooch ·
    • Hide content

Hi jm2b,

Have you thought about wedding rings yet? Smooch can send an advisor to your home, and let you have a look at our 250+ designs. There's absolutely no obligation, and we'll give you some free gifts just for having the appointment. If you'd like any more information, I'd love to hear from you... Oh, and good luck with the planning! ?

Laura

• gemchoo
    Beginner May 2012
    gemchoo ·
    • Hide content

I'm from Whitburn so just along the road! It'll be fab there, especially if you get a nice sunny day!

I'm not gettin married until May 2012 but fully intend to book this guy a little nearer my date http://www.dalfoto.com/ i've met him a lots of wedding shows and he's very down to earth and friendly but not too over familiar - perfect balance i reckon!

Have you been into L'Amour bridal? they do girly nights in! i've got one booked for November 12th. can't wait! xx

• J
    Beginner August 2011
    jm2b ·
    • Hide content

Wow, thank you so much for all of your replies. Good to see some local brides too!

Sandy, thanks for your advise - can I ask for another professional opinion please? We've been given details of a band and they can have own disco if you want them too or we can have disco recommended by venue. The venue said we could then still have a band if we want that too but that it's not normally done. I do really want a band, but they'll only play a couple of 45 min sets. Would a dj be ok if we had them but also the band? I'm not too sure on using the bands disco as it's not their speciality if you know what I mean. But don't want the dj to feel like they're second fiddle - they're not coz they will be playing more than the band, just want the best of both worlds if we can.

GeordieBarbie - we've got use of the whole Grotto, it'll be closed to the public after we've arrived. Welcome drinks will be in the cave bar and then will go up to the restaurant for the wedding breakfast, get the views that way and can see what you're eating easier! People may be there when we get there but they will be cleared while we have the meal so when we come back down after the meal will only be us and our party there. So after meal going back down and will have full use of cave bar, other bar and terrace. Entertainment will be set up in cave. Bbq will be on the terrace in the evening.

Marie - elephant's foot? I'm not sure, I moved away for many years but am back now so maybe I missed something or have just forgotten? Not sure! Hope you don't mind but I'm going to have a nosey at your band, you're not too far away!!

Gemchoo and Getlaced - nice to see some especially local brides, we'll have to see how we all get on in the run up! I'm over excited about everything already!! Not been to any bridal shops yet but have looked at L'amour, can I ask, do you know if they're expensive? I've not got a budget for a dress as such but don't want to go crazy, fab ideas with the girls night in though. Will have to ring them and make sure they're ok for not looking til next year, want to lose more weight before I start on the dress hunt. A couple of dress shops I contacted to check that would be ok told me no, I had to go look straight away or wouldn't get anything. Hard sell didn't work, will just not bother contacting them when the time comes! Most of the shops said Jan would be fine for an August wedding, gave them plenty of time, I like those ones!!

Thanks again everyone xx

• Sandysounds
    Sandysounds ·
    • Hide content

Good question jm2b.

Many bands (not all I might add) say they offer a dj as well and it is often one of the guys putting on a CD at random....which is not the same as having a proper DJ with a proper set up.

The ideal solution is having a separate band and DJ.

I am often booked to work alongside a band and.....if you get the right band and DJ.... it works perfectly. About three weeks ago I was booked to work with a band (Lee Hedley Band... shameless plug there as they were fantastic). We had a good chat on the phone before the day and worked out between us how we would work it, what style of music they would play so that I could compliment it but also avoid their playlist etc. I set up to one side leaving enough space for them to set up centre stage and did the first dance and first half an hour. They whipped the crowd into a frenzy, when they took their half hour break after their first 45 minute set, I took over. Being a professional DJ I was able to keep that energy going and the floor was still full and lively when they took over again. I then took over at the end of the night to take it to 1.00. Even they said it worked much better having a proper DJ in the gaps else they felt that when they started their second set it was usually like having to start again with building up the crowd. As for feeling second fiddle...not at all. A good band shows respect to the DJ and vice versa, and when they pass between the two they build each other up and makes for a good transition and performance, and experience for your guests.

A couple of things to note. Although your DJ would not be playing all night, you still need to book them for the whole evening. Logistics dictate that it would cause bedlum and disruption to your evening if you trird to get the DJ to set up or pack up during the evening and there would be dead air and down time. Having the DJ there all night is like having a link pin. They can lead the evening, passing to the star attraction (the band) etc. If you can afford it, definitely band and separate DJ. If you choose a professional DJ, like myself, they will be well used to working closely with other acts and know exactly what to do to ensure continuous high quality entertainment throughout the whole evening with no down time.

Another thing... many bands have limited lighting. When I work with a band I always offer my lighting for their performance (and it is always taken up!).

Sorry....bit of an essay there but hopefully it's helpful.

• C
    Beginner December 2010
    car822499 ·
    • Hide content

Hi

We're getting married in Durham in December but haven't got much booked yet. We're still looking at entertainment so any help would be great! Our photographer is Alan Hewson (he's got a website - based in Cramlington but willing to travel). We chose him over others as he's so down to earth and flexible and his photos are great. We just wanted our photos on a disk and he's doing that for us. Now you have your venue I'm sure everything else will fall into place, that's what I'm told anyway!!

• N\/ideo
    N\/ideo ·
    • Hide content

We have worked alongside Jason Isaacs, who is a lively and entertaining act if you like the 'swing' classics:-

http://www.jasonisaacs.co.uk/

He is from the North East and seems to be becoming increasingly popular so not sure of current rates, but a swing/motown/blues/soul sound to end the wedding celebrations often seems to go down well with the guests.

• J
    Beginner August 2011
    jm2b ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Sandy, that's really helpful. We're hoping costs will allow both, or we could cut back in other places. Following what you said about the DJ being booked all night, would we have to book the band all night? We would like the DJ to stay until 1pm (we think) but know that it would cost a fortune to pay the band til this time. Would they just pack up and go when the DJ took over? If they did, would this cause disruption?

Hi car, thanks for your recommendation, will take a look.

NVideo, he looks great, am worried to ask for a price though, I bet he's too expensive for us, :-( will see though, may get a pleasant surprise.

• Sandysounds
    Sandysounds ·
    • Hide content

I usually set up at the side or behind a band so that they can pack up and go after their last set. They will be used to packing up in tight spaces....and with the DJ keeping things going.....people are less likely to notice. So literally you have continous music all night.

• J
    Beginner August 2011
    jm2b ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for that sandy, promise I'll stop asking you questios now, you've been a big help! x

• Sandysounds
    Sandysounds ·
    • Hide content

Lol...only too happy to help. ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics