Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

N
Beginner

North east marquee site, country pub or nice village hall? Help!!! x

northumberlandbridetobe, 16 August, 2010 at 23:50 Posted on Planning 0 12

Hi everyone! Hope all the planning is going well :-) Still on the search for a north-east venue... ideally we would like a hog roast! Don't really want to be stuck with the usual three course option so was wondering if anyone knew of a country pub or something similar where we could put up a marquee? (i.e. use their bar/toilets and some catering but not be forced to have something we don't want!) Soooooo difficult! If my garden was bigger I'd have it at home! Either the country pub option or a nice sized village hall would work I suppose.... any suggestions are welcome! Must keep to budget. Must keep to budget. Thanks in advance! Sue xx

12 replies

Latest activity by far2calm, 3 May, 2012 at 08:54
  • MrsFoster2b
    Beginner June 2014
    MrsFoster2b ·
    • Hide content

Sorry to bump an old thread but just wondering if you managed to find anything? This is exactly what i'm looking for and i must have looked at every venue in the north east... twice! haha

Thanks!! x

• greenleaf
    greenleaf ·
    • Hide content

Have you enquired at any farms that have suitable land?

Another way of attacking this is to ask some marquee companies for location ideas.

also look at farm shops etc... as they may have land.

• M
    Beginner July 2011
    MissDoone ·
    • Hide content

Where in the North East do you want to be though as it's a pretty big place?!! We had exactly the same trouble with exactly the same spefications as you i.e. didn't want a stately home type affair and wanted a hog roast and we've gone for the Marsden Grotto. It's fab, really unusual and the management are VERY flexible and will literally let you do anything you want - oh and they're ridiculously cheap too! There's no room hire (novel idea some other venues should try ha) and we've got seperate caterers in to do the Hog Roast which wasn't an issue. It's got its own beach and the dance floor room is in a cave! My fella fell in love with the place. Google it and check it out!

• J
    Beginner August 2011
    jm2b ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Wow, I have a venue twin!! Woo hoo!!

Other options for a marquee, look for things like the local scout camps, they often let you use their grounds to have a marquee.

• MrsB_2_be
    Beginner August 2011
    MrsB_2_be ·
    • Hide content

This might not be much help on the venue front but my friend had a marquee on some land that I think her OH's family own and Ramside Hall in Durham did the catering. The hog roast was amazing I ate it and normally I hate pork so it must have been good! Hope that helps x

• M
    Beginner July 2011
    MissDoone ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

NO WAY!!!!!!! Eeeh I'm dead excited!! What date are you getting married?! Are you excited??? I'm so excited! I went through loads of doubts about the venue but I think it was just bowing to pressure to have a really formal stately home day which is exactly what I didn't want...call it pre-wedding jitters ha. I'm July 2nd Smiley smile

• MrsFoster2b
    Beginner June 2014
    MrsFoster2b ·
    • Hide content

Ah thanks everyone!! Such good suggestions!!

For the Marsden ladies... i've not been in recent years but remember going a long time ago and it was a really special place so i'm sure your weddings will be amazing! Make sure you flash lots please after your big days!

I'll check out those other ideas and see what I can find.. thank you everyone. At the moment, if I don't find a marquee type place, then I think it's going to be Alnwick Gardens. Have been a couple of times and it's beautiful! They even have little twinkly fairy lights on an evening in the outside patio / terrace floor! The only slight drawback is the distance from Newcastle and the fact that they do the catering internally so I'd have no option of using an outside company. But all in all if I can't find a marquee type place I think i'll be very happy with the gardens.

Oh and in other news... i've just booked my church! yey!

Thanks again for the help and advice!

x

• J
    Beginner August 2011
    jm2b ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Lol, yeah, am dead excited too, so much so that we keep going there whenever we can justify it, just to be back there imagining what the day could be like! How sad are we! We're after you, so will be looking forward to hearing how you got on, and you must flash! :-) We're on August 27th, the bank hol Saturday. We've had some strange comments regarding our choice of venue from some people but I know it's good for us. H2b chose the venue the first time I took him there, and at that point we hadn't even decided on when we were getting married - I hadn't even officially proposed at that point (long story)! So where are you having your ceremony?

To mrsfoster2b - have you contacted marquee hire companies, they are usually good for recommendations on locations. You've probably done that, but just in case some companies for you: http://www.waltonsmarquees.co.uk/venues https://www.fairbairnmarquees.co.uk/services.aspx https://www.collingwoodmarquees.co.uk/ https://belletentsmarqueehire.co.uk/index.html

Alnwick is gorgeous so if you do go with that am sure you would have an absolutely amazing day. :-) xx

• M
    Beginner July 2011
    MissDoone ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ah that'll be a fab time of year to get married! You'll be practically guaranteed good weather for that. We're having our ceremony at St Pauls Church next to Bede's World in Jarrow. We're really happy with the ceremony venue it's really great for photos. Where are you having your ceremony? Are you going to decorate the venue? I'd thought something like this -

This is my first flash so I hope it works!! Our colours are purple, white and a little hint of pink so we're going to do the pom poms and bunting in those colours and decorate the above the dance floor in the cave and the hallway to the lift. Obviously as well as the room where we'll have our meal but that'll just be the tables decorate with centrepieces etc. Thought it was quite informal and suited the venue!! xx

• N
    Beginner
    northumberlandbridetobe ·
    • Hide content

Hi ladies, not sure if I'm posting this right as I'm not a frequent hitch-er!

Ooh Marsden Grotto sounds lovely, and great that you can bring your own catering in!!

Yes, after lots of searching and lots of places we ruled out after 2 mins, we're getting married at the Hexham Winter Gardens - It's a huge glasshouse owned by Queen Elizabeth High School in Hexham :-) Basically they allow you to get your own caterers in, do your own bar with no corkage fee etc etc... Just like having a marquee but without having to put it up!!

Getting married in July so just under 5 months to go eeek! (sorry I don't indulge myself in nearly enough of those!) And sorting decorations at the mo... bulk bought boxes fairy lights from Ikea in the Xmas sale and managed to get other decs from Monsoon (they sell whatever has been in their window displays - great when you're trying to decorate a huge area!! As long as it fits in with you colour scheme of course ;-) )

Ceilidh band is booked, tables and chairs are hired, still can't find a wedding car that's not a silly price but hey-ho, getting there!

Love the colours in the above post, such a warm yellow and the invites are just lovely.

Hope all your planning is going well! xx

• Simon and Alison
    Beginner
    Simon and Alison ·
    • Hide content

Hi everyone,

Sounds like you're all sorted for your venues now, but thought I'd post in case any other brides to be are still on the hunt for a venue. Crook Hall in Durham allow you to bring in your own external caterers - we covered a wedding last year where they had a posh buffet type meal done by a company called Epicuris who are based in Newcastle I think. Imagine they'd do hog roasts too if any of you are stuck for caterers still.

Hope you all have fab days, informal weddings are lovely as they're so relaxed!

Ali x

• W
    Beginner May 2014
    wolfamongsheep ·
    • Hide content

Hi all.

I was just wondering if anyone has any idea how to go about locating Scout sites in the North East? As with a few people on here I want to hold my wedding reception somewhere where I can have a marquee & outside catering.

My difficulty at the minute is that I live in Manchester and trying to plan a wedding in the North East as that's where all of our family are, so most of my research is having to be done on the internet until the next time I'm home and I can go looking for places.

I'm not particularly fussy on where abouts in the NE (I'm from Middlesbrough so the closer the better ideally) but I am struggling to find realistic places where I can pretty much have free reign!

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

• far2calm
    Beginner May 2012
    far2calm ·
    • Hide content

Gibside allow marquees, fab location!!!

Will try to think of other places, just as a note we are using Fairbains, and so far there service has been very friendly and good, lets hope it carries on till the day!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics