Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

OB
Beginner January 2011

Nosebleeds

OB, 21 January, 2013 at 12:34 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 10

I haven't had one for years but now this is my second in 2 days. They are pretty big ones too, at least 10 mins to stop dripping.

Am I doing something?! Can I stop it?

Ta!

10 replies

Latest activity by Little Pixie , 22 January, 2013 at 09:12
  • kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I went through a period of about a year where I'd have them quite regularly. I went to the doctor and he have me some cream to shove up my nose. Worked eventually.

• Enjayee
    Beginner April 2013
    Enjayee ·
    • Hide content

I used to get them when I was younger, particularly in the wintertime. Using a cold compress, pinch the bridge of your nose and put your head down and not up. When I got them really bad I used to wrap two ice cubes in kitchen roll and use them to somehow pinch the bride of my nose.

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

My OH gets them regulally, but being a boy hasn't seen anyone about it!

• RebTheEck
    Beginner August 2013
    RebTheEck ·
    • Hide content

10 minutes to stop one is OK, 15 to 20 minutes or absolutely pouring out you probably need to get to A&E to have it packed.

It can sometimes be an issue with blood pressure - are you checked regularly? Or it could simply be a small blood vessel that pops after blowing your nose - I've done that a few times myself.

Might be worth making a note of frequency & how long they take to stop & check with your GP if you are concerned.

& don't tip your head back - you'll swallow the blood & make yourself sick!

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

My nephew used to get them quite badly. Sometimes even in his sleep.

He eventually had to have some veins inside his nose cauterised.

• Missus S
    Missus S ·
    • Hide content

Are you on any new meds? It can be related to bp too and I don't know if its an old wives take but can't the weather have an effect on them?

• WickyWack
    Beginner July 2013
    WickyWack ·
    • Hide content

Nose bleeds are awful..I feel for you!

I have had my nose cauterised 3 times now - touch would I haven't had a nose bleed in about 18 months now! YEY!

The cold used to contribute a lot to mine. I recommend Vaseline to moisten the inside of your nostrils - this helped me a lot

My worst nosebleed led me to A&E with my mum whilst out shopping once about 5 years ago. It didn't stop for about 30 minutes and was literally like a waterfall.

Also, I used to get them in the morning whilst having a shower.. I think the heat played a part in this and also jumping up and getting in the shower in quick succession!

I'd go to your GP and see if they will cauterise if it carries on

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

If you've damaged a vessel, it's not so surprising that you've had a couple in quick succession - pinching, ice and no blowing (or picking!) will help.

I used to get loads but they ended after I stopped using Corsodyl mouthwash. Hate the stuff.

• OB
    Beginner January 2011
    OB ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for replying everyone Smiley smile I went off to work and only just got back.

No meds, no nose blowing, bp is good (had it checked at pre op on Thursday).

Yesterday I jumped up out of bed to go to the loo and it started whilst I was sat on the toilet, today I was just pottering around getting ready for work. Hopefully it's what Footlong says and it's all from one thing and stops.

Thanks again guys!

• Tizzie
    Beginner June 2012
    Tizzie ·
    • Hide content

My brother gets them every few years. He'll have three or four then nothing. He bleeds for at least ten sometimes fifteen minutes. He went to the doctor but there was nothing wrong. They just start suddenly out of no where.

• Little Pixie
    Beginner September 2011
    Little Pixie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Do all of the above and don't panic. I get them, used to get them alot more when I was younger. I would never have it cauterised or any other treatment. It rarely works first time and for most people they don't do you much harm, just an inconvenience. I actually usually have a headache when I get one and it relieves the headache. I quite like having them.

There are even health benefits of giving blood so a nosebleed might even do you some good :-)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics