Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

KateyP
Beginner February 2010

Not a wedding cake, but a wedding-cake-bake-off!

KateyP, 3 May, 2011 at 11:27 Posted on Planning 0 18

Help!

Rather than have a traditional wedding cake (never been a big fan) I'm having a wedding cake table where friends and family can bring a cake!

I much prefer a proper homemade cake rather than marzipan covered fruit cake. so thought this would be a nice quirky and personal touch.

So now I have the concept (and word has already started to spread amongst friends and aunties!), I need some advice on how to present this without it looking a mess! I don't want it to look like a jumble sale, I was thinking of starting to collect different style and height cake stands and also getting cute little flags to stick in the cakes so people know what it is, and who made it.

What do you think, oh wise ones? xx

18 replies

Latest activity by girlofsummer26, 5 May, 2011 at 18:32
  • M
    Beginner July 2012
    MrsMac2b ·
    • Hide content

I have no idea, but what are you goin to do with the cakes afterwards? I'm assuming that a fair few people will make them.

• vintageangel
    Beginner October 2011
    vintageangel ·
    • Hide content

I like the idea! think it will look lovely on all different cake stands and all those yummy home made cakes you dont have to choose then, can have a little bit of each! ?

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WSS!! if i did this, i know at least 12 people whod bake cakes/cupcakes so would be left with more then i woudl if i had a traditional wedding cake!!!

• Dollyrockerz
    Beginner October 2011
    Dollyrockerz ·
    • Hide content

It sounds like a great idea but I think you ened to impose a size limit! MAybe stipulate that it has to be no bigger than a 5 or 6 inch cake or maximum of 6 cupcakes else you'll be inundated with cake!

• Naboo
    Beginner
    Naboo ·
    • Hide content

I think it sounds great, I have seen a few on blogs when I was looking for ideas here are some pics

Plus there are loads of ideas on here https://ruffledblog.com/diy-dessert-table-tips/

• KateyP
    Beginner February 2010
    KateyP ·
    • Hide content

Good shout on the size / cake limits! I'm not telling everyone about it, it will most likely be a few aunties who contribute.

There'll be 160+ plus at night so im sure they'll get eaten. If not, people can take them home or I can give them to the oldies that live near me ahhhhhhhhh

• Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content

Don't forget to think about allergies as well. So not only marking the cakes with what they are and who made them but what they contain or which are gluten free / nut free etc.

• KateyP
    Beginner February 2010
    KateyP ·
    • Hide content

To Naboo: You're a star! This is exactly the type of thing I'm looking for!!

Thank you x10000 (you looked gorge on your wedding day by the way!)

• KateyP
    Beginner February 2010
    KateyP ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'll just put a big sign to say 'no fussy eaters or allergics allowed'

Fair enough, non? ?

• Naboo
    Beginner
    Naboo ·
    • Hide content

No worries! if i had enough guests i would have one this too think they look fab and bound to be something everyone likes, plus when has spare cake ever been a problem!?! Im sure you will find lots of volunteers to help you out with that!!

p.s thanks ?

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

Sounds like a brilliant idea. You will have a lovely cake buffet for all your evening guests. Sorry to ask and put a dampener on your idea but I was just wondering if you were self catering your venue or having a package as some venues wouldn't allow it. I know ours stipulated the only one edible item we could bring was a wedding cake (think they may be worried about food poisoning etc.. and getting sued) Might be worth checking first.

• KateyP
    Beginner February 2010
    KateyP ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Jojo, I'm (luckily!) very good friends with the guys at my venue so I'm hoping they'll be nice to me! I used to work at a venue myself, and I'd have asked the bride to sign an indemnity form for any food items not made on premises - I expect they'll get me to do that x

• bls14
    Beginner September 2011
    bls14 ·
    • Hide content

Just to say i LOVE this idea!!! If i hadn't already order my huge cupcake tower i would be stealing this!!! Smiley smile

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

In that case I think its a great idea, I much prefer homemade cakes to traditional fruit. Only getting one tier to shut up my mum!

• gsijane
    Beginner September 2011
    gsijane ·
    • Hide content

Oh my god i love this idea! We are yet to confirm about our cake and i now want to do this!!!

My only question would be, which one will you use to have your "cutting the cake" picture?

• KateyP
    Beginner February 2010
    KateyP ·
    • Hide content

Well...as wedding photo's go, I am not a big fan of the 'cutting cake' picture. If I was looking through an album, I'd always fly past that pic!

But, it is a good question...I shall lie amongst the cakes with my hubby and pose accordingly haha! x

• gsijane
    Beginner September 2011
    gsijane ·
    • Hide content

Oh yes! i think that's a fantastic idea! You could always judge the best looking cake and then use that!! I do really like the whole idea thou, seriously considering changing my cake idea!!

• G
    Beginner July 2011
    girlofsummer26 ·
    • Hide content

What an amazing idea!! I love baking and would be really happy if someone asked me to make something for their wedding! Love it x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics